Gary Gardner

ChrisNichollsToe

Don't know any Forest fans but can only go by the local paper and most games he gets a 7/10 for them.

Injuries have disrupted him so I doubt he's that box to box player that was in our youth team but as a steady type to sit infront of the back 4 and get the passing going I bet he'd do as good as job as Westwood.

Other point is he actually scores some goals, none of our central midfielders ever score (apart from last week) so we need some sort of threat from that area.

He can definitely play a part next season for us.

I don't think many people are expecting him to slot in as a starting player every week, but he'll be a good option to have.

You would hope, that after we've gotten rid of as many of the want-away players and the billy big bollocks types that we can, that we'll have some decent (by Championship standards) funds to rebuild the team. Added to that the possibility of a new owner wanting to provide some funds in an attempt to get back to the Prem straight away, we'll have a decent budget to build a good team.

In a mid-table championship team, Gardner won't stand out by just scoring a free kick every 4-6 weeks, but if he's surrounded by better players pushing for promotion and is used sporadically to help with the midweek games, he could still look like a decent squad player.

In those circumstances, a freekick goal which gets us an extra point or two could be vital.

On 4/30/2016 at 23:01, avfcwills10 said:

Yes I know. But in his first loan with them he was one of the best players they had, this time round that's not been the case. Lansbury is noticeably streets above him. 

Lansbury hasn't been getting in the team in recent weeks.

Edit: Sorry didn't realise Lansbury had been injured for a few months.

Edited by VillaChris

• 1 month later...

Yep, he is now into the final year of his contract here, he needs to stay injury free and gain a regular first team spot to have any chance of earning a new deal with us. Very much last chance saloon for Gardner at Villa. I always had high hopes for GG, mainly based on what I have read on here tbh. Sadly, because of his injury problems he has never managed a sustained run in the team to see if he can cut it. My confidence that he will take this final chance is pretty low, as it just feels like it isn't going to work out for him here. Hopefully my gut feeling is wrong though, and he bangs in 10+ goals from midfield for us next season.

• Like 1

My main concern is that we will give up on him and he'll then go on to be a good player for someone else. Some players just don't seem to perform when it comes to this great club for whatever reason.

He can certainly play at this level, we see that from his loan spells (yes I know there's debate how good he actually has been at likes of Forest and Coventry).

What's certain is he's a vastly experienced championship player, the sort we'd be looking to sign so I'm all for giving him a run.

I think the trouble he suffers from is he's been here so long now, made his debut in 2011 I think and was hyped for a few years beforehand people have either forgotten about him or think we should just get rid as he's been here for ages without doing much. Like that Albrighton fella. And also Gardner's probably lost about two years of his career through injuries.

Think it's important we have someone with good mobility alongside him as I imagine he dosen't get as well around the pitch as before, I'd be happy with him and Gana infront of the back 4 and then a decent attacking midfielder ahead.

2 hours ago, Daweii said:

My main concern is that we will give up on him and he'll then go on to be a good player for someone else. Some players just don't seem to perform when it comes to this great club for whatever reason.

The story of our Villa lives!

9 hours ago, Reivax_Villa said:

I hope that he impresses RDM in pre season and starts the opener

He has something that our current players don't..

Ah that much fabled ability - scoring.

I know that it was only a few goals and it's youtube but there's no doubting that he has quality (at least at Championship level). I'd like him to get an extended run in the team even if it were only to prove he isn't good enough but there's no doubt that he deserves a chance at the very least.

Â