Gary Gardner

ChrisNichollsToe

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Bannan was a little bit slow for the top level and also his passing was up and down.

He is probably quicker than Gil but his game was never about pace anyway. and his passing was up and down because he was looking for the hollywood ball too much. But I think he's matured now and plays the percentages more. Really though when you look at our midfield now Bannan doesn't look too bad. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, PaulC said:

He is probably quicker than Gil but his game was never about pace anyway. and his passing was up and down because he was looking for the hollywood ball too much. But I think he's matured now and plays the percentages more. Really though when you look at our midfield now Bannan doesn't look too bad. 

Well of course, but this is all in hindsight. Let's not remember Bannan with rose tinted glasses because bannan was very poor for us. Frankly he was just not good enough for the premier league. It took Bannan 3 seasons of consistent football to get to a point where he was considered a good championship player. There is no way that the Bannan you see playing for Sheffield would be the same Bannan for us if he stuck here over the last three seasons. Plus Bannan is already 26 and I am not convinced that he would do well in the premier league even now. We were right to get rid of him and give someone like Grealish a chance. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

Well of course, but this is all in hindsight. Let's not remember Bannan with rose tinted glasses because bannan was very poor for us. Frankly he was just not good enough for the premier league. It took Bannan 3 seasons of consistent football to get to a point where he was considered a good championship player. There is no way that the Bannan you see playing for Sheffield would be the same Bannan for us if he stuck here over the last three seasons. Plus Bannan is already 26 and I am not convinced that he would do well in the premier league even now. We were right to get rid of him and give someone like Grealish a chance. 

Yes I agree we were right to sell him. 

• Like 1

Was out with my Forest-mad mate last night - he watches home and away and said Gardner was decent during his last spell at Forest but has been bang average or worse this time round. He's a good judge of football and reckons he is average Championship level at best

2 hours ago, VillaCas said:

Was out with my Forest-mad mate last night - he watches home and away and said Gardner was decent during his last spell at Forest but has been bang average or worse this time round. He's a good judge of football and reckons he is average Championship level at best

Would still be a solid player to have in the squad for next season based on that review. 

3 hours ago, VillaCas said:

Ok thats not great news then. Guess he's capable of pulling of a spectacular goal but how many times can you do that in a season.

4 hours ago, VillaCas said:

And yet others rave about him! Look at how some of our players polarise opinion. He deserves a chance for us next season then we can all make our own minds up. 

3 hours ago, dn1982 said:

And yet others rave about him! Look at how some of our players polarise opinion. He deserves a chance for us next season then we can all make our own minds up. 

37 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Being an average championship player would put him in the same bracket as a few of our players. 

I'd much rather give him a chance than continue with westwood. 

I've seen no-one raving about him!

If mid-table championship is our ambition then I'm sure he'll fit straight in.

Westwood is not good enough for what is required and Gardner is a level below that

2 hours ago, VillaCas said:

I've seen no-one raving about him!

If mid-table championship is our ambition then I'm sure he'll fit straight in.

Westwood is not good enough for what is required and Gardner is a level below that

Look at their forums or is it just your mates opinion you go on ? 

12 hours ago, VillaCas said:

......He's a good judge of football and reckons he is average Championship level at best

Then he'll be more usefull for us next season than

Guzan, Bunn, Hutton, Bacuna, Richards, Senderos, Lescott, Westwood, Richardson, N'Zogbia, Cole, Sinclair, Gaby, Crespo, Ilori, Gestede & Kozak.

Wow thats over half a squad!!

12 hours ago, VillaCas said:

well still level above Westwood who is League 1 at most

43 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

If you believe average Championship talent is what is required then he will be ideal.

Let's hope you're all right about him, although if he was going to make it he would have done by now

Yes because pretty major injuries in both legs is the way all players develop. 

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Yes because pretty major injuries in both legs is the way all players develop. 

I'm not sure of your point? It's very sad but yes of course major injuries have impacted his development - without them he may well have gone on to become a better player. Because of the injuries he will probably never become the player he could have

The fact remains that he is nearly 24 and despite injuries has played 80 first team matches and looks very unlikely to now become a premiership footballer. Forest fans think he is a hard working, dedicated but unspectacular midfielder. They would probably sign him permanently given the chance as he would be ideal for a lower half championship team.

I remember having a similar debate about Bannan a few seasons back. We'd all love one of our academy prospects to become the next big thing but I don't think Gardner will be it, But hey, lets hope I'm wrong

10 hours ago, GeordieVillan said:

If he doesn't get a chance next season, then why have we bothered to keep him for so many years? We could have sold him and made some money, and also let the guy try re-build his career.

What an odd response? He seems a decent enough bloke and I hope that he has a good career free from further injury but I'm not sure what good it does pretending that he is going to be the next big thing

1 hour ago, VillaCas said:

I'm not sure of your point? It's very sad but yes of course major injuries have impacted his development - without them he may well have gone on to become a better player. Because of the injuries he will probably never become the player he could have

The fact remains that he is nearly 24 and despite injuries has played 80 first team matches and looks very unlikely to now become a premiership footballer. Forest fans think he is a hard working, dedicated but unspectacular midfielder. They would probably sign him permanently given the chance as he would be ideal for a lower half championship team.

I remember having a similar debate about Bannan a few seasons back. We'd all love one of our academy prospects to become the next big thing but I don't think Gardner will be it, But hey, lets hope I'm wrong

You said if he was going to make it he'd have made it by now. 

But that completely ignore the injuries he's had which have clearly slowed his development. We only have to look at delph to see that once he's fit and playing it could have a major change to his performances. 

Â