Gary Gardner

ChrisNichollsToe

10 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I agree to an extent BUT... he's been playing Championship football for two seasons. He knows these players and the tempo of the league but was still absolutely woeful. 

He'll get better simply because I'm not sure that could've been much worse. 

Yes he has and according to the locals around here he has done as well. 

I'm just reserving judgment until I've seen more of him playing for us and with our players.

I thought he was poor and a liability but it IS only one game and although people are saying Wednesday were poor the fact is they are one of the best teams in the league so probably not the best game to judge him by. That should be one of our hardest away days. 

4 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

What i don't understand is why was he so good for Forest.

Maybe its to early in the season? Maybe our system does not compliment the way he play?

Didn't he play in the holding role in a diamond formation for N'Forest?

Should probably be competing with Westwood for the position, instead of playing together.

Far too early for some to be writing him off though, jesus.

10 minutes ago, Xela said:

Unfortunately nowhere near as good as his brother. 

That's harsh- you have to give him more than one game in which to form a reasoned judgement - if there is no improvement in around 10-15 games then you may have a point.

1 minute ago, Dave J said:

That's harsh- you have to give him more than one game in which to form a reasoned judgement - if there is no improvement in around 10-15 games then you may have a point.

Oh no, wasn't basing it off today, just his career to date so far. Whatever we think about Craig Gardner, he's actually forged a decent career in the top flight. I hope Gary lives up to the promise he had as a youngster but perhaps all those injuries have taken its toll

The whole midfield were crap today. However Gardner has been decent in this league over the past 2 seasons. Bacuna and Westwood are just crap full stop. With better players around him and or in a better system he'd improve. Westwood and Bacuna never will. IMO

53 minutes ago, Xela said:

Oh no, wasn't basing it off today, just his career to date so far. Whatever we think about Craig Gardner, he's actually forged a decent career in the top flight. I hope Gary lives up to the promise he had as a youngster but perhaps all those injuries have taken its toll

I agree Craig deserves more credit than he ever seems to attract- he's not the most gifted, but his work ethic cannot be questioned  and I also agree when you say that injuries may have taken its toll on Gary- however I believe he has now racked up 60 plus championship games- so I'm hopeful he can offer us something

52 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Thought he was the worst player by a country mile. His big chance and he blew it spectacularly

I'm sorry but you are so wrong- you cannot say this, based on one performance- none of us can honestly say how good or bad he might be- everyone has bad days at the office- we have to give him a little more time, who knows if anxiety just took over today- lets be honest Villa is where it's at for Gary.

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

Yes he has and according to the locals around here he has done as well. 

I'm just reserving judgment until I've seen more of him playing for us and with our players.

I would be interested to find out what sort of formation he played in at Forest as, judging by today alone, I doubt he can play in what's effectively a midfield two.

4 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

I would be interested to find out what sort of formation he played in at Forest as, judging by today alone, I doubt he can play in what's effectively a midfield two.

Agreed that has a barring, I think it was mostly either 442 or 451.

Well today was his first villa appearance since 2013, I wouldn't be rushing him in to making his second based on that performance. He was crap, when he had a good run of games under Mcleish he was crap too. Personally I would rather have kept Craig

I had expected more of him, but I still think he did okay. I wouldn't say that he was worse than Westwood. Gardner at least tried to pass the ball forward a couple of times and not only sideways/backwards. Some of his longer passes just slipped away and were slightly overhit, but the intention was good and nearly created some good chances. He tracked back and was okay defensively and didn't make any of those freakish misstakes that our midfielders did last season.

Since day one of this window I've wanted us to sign a proven central midfield general, and I think Gardner (or Tshibola) can be a good player next to him.   

1 hour ago, Dave J said:

I'm sorry but you are so wrong- you cannot say this, based on one performance- none of us can honestly say how good or bad he might be- everyone has bad days at the office- we have to give him a little more time, who knows if anxiety just took over today- lets be honest Villa is where it's at for Gary.

I don't think I'm wrong at all. This wS his big chance and he looked like he was going to be sent off in first 20 minutes. Couldn't get ahold of the ball, struggled to pass, get forward. Everything about his I real play was abysmal. Tish did more in 5 minutes than he did whole game.

he was embarrassingly poor today. 

Bang average at best. This is his season to prove he is the player some think he his......not a good start.

Â