Brad Guzan

R.Bear

I have a feeling Guzan has been promised he'll start the season as number one and it will be his shirt to lose. I reckon that's what has convinced him to come back.

Of course he hasn't, that'd be nuts.

I have a feeling Guzan has been promised he'll start the season as number one and it will be his shirt to lose. I reckon that's what has convinced him to come back.

Of course he hasn't, that'd be nuts.

I'd go with that too...

I'd imagine the main reason for him coming back is the fact that he will now be picking up a pay packet again. There's hardly a que of clubs trying to sign him so... it's in his interest to come back.

Plus Given will probably pick up a few injurys during the season so Brad will know he will have a chance to play then.

Villa likely offered him the best contract available to him. Simple.

I agree, let's not over-complicate the likely motive here. There are a few scenarios but they all lead to the same place.

He was offered an extension but declined because he reckoned he could do better elsewhere in terms of playing time and/or money.

He wasn't offered a new deal by the previous regime so looked elsewhere.

What happened next is he didn't get better or acceptable offers before we came back and made him an offer he was prepared to accept. If he declined a previous offer it may well be the case that what he has now accepted is actually no improvement on what he may have originally declined. He has maybe merely found out he wasn't as sought after as he hoped and he'd have found himself at smaller club, likely not in the PL and with a much-reduced income.

Guzan is pretty mediocre and that is why no clubs wanted to take a shot at him. Will stay as our number 2, no doubt about it. And in no way good enough for being #1 at a club trying to get back into the fold.

Think he did very well in The Peace Cup and has had limited opportunities to kick on since.

At least we will still have that "Guzan Guzan" chant from the 3 blokes in the North lower each HT

I think we'd always offered him a new contract (maybe not officially) but told him he'd be back up for Given (and rightly so)

I think he thought he'd leave and get first team football elsewhere.

Unfortunately, for him, no other clubs want him as first choice (None that he considers better than being a number 2 here anyway) and so he's come back and accepted our offer.

Either that, or simply McLeish didn't want him so didn't offer him a deal, and Lambert has decided that he does want him and so offered him a chance to come back.

Things it doesn't show:

1. He's been promised first team football

2. We have no money to spend on transfers.

Guzan is pretty mediocre and that is why no clubs wanted to take a shot at him. Will stay as our number 2, no doubt about it. And in no way good enough for being #1 at a club trying to get back into the fold.

I think is pretty much the way it is. Personally I would have rather got a good young and cheaper keeper as our number two. The only attraction I can see with Guzan is that he may be on relatively low wages.

This is a good move by the club to bring him back again particularly in light of Given's form in the Euro's. It might well be the case that Given will need a prolonged rest to get over whatever injuries he is suffering and consequently having to miss the start of the season, so we'd be in safe hands with Guzan between the sticks until Given is completely clear of injury.

Just be interesting to know if the deal he's signing on now is better or worse from a club perspective than the one he was reportedly offered previously.

If we've managed to get him back on less money than it would have cost to keep him in the first place then it's a decent bit of business for a decent backup keeper.

I imagine he was told whoever is in the best form will get played and Guzan fancies himself.

I doubt it.

We can't afford to have Given as a number two either, i'd think he is on too much £££ for that.

am sure Lambert is his own man and point doesnt really stand when you consider Heskey was always a backup

I agree with Zatman. It doesn't matter what Given is on. We're paying him regardless of whether he's on the bench or not. If our results are suffering by having him on the pitch then he won't be on the pitch. It costs us no more in money to have Guzan in goal and if we're higher up the league then why wouldn't you do it. I also think this season there's a chance that we will see Guzan in goal more, not just because of the injuries and muscle tweaks I expect Given to get, but just because I think their careers are at a point where their abilities are not that far off now.

Judging by his re-tweet yesterday of someone singing "Brad is coming home...."

It sounds like he's pleased to be coming back. I think for an understudy there's not much better options TBH.

Â