Brad Guzan

R.Bear

Absolutely 100% agree, Gareth.

In fact I've said it on here before several times (going back to when we had Carson)

The MOST important thing is that he's consistent. If he doesn'tcome for crosses then he doesn't come for crosses. The defence need to know where they stand.

I would much much rather have someone who comes for crosses as rarely as Given than someone like Kasper Schmeichel (when he was at Man City) who just came for random shots and caused general confusion amongst everyone else.

Consistency is key. Of course you'd rather have a keeper who can come and claim a lot of crosses. but if he can't then as long as he's consistent then it isn't a huge problem. Given gets way too much criticism for this.

If we had a keeper who claimed more I don't think it wouldn't have made a huge difference to our goals conceded column.

Personally I think and have always thought that Given gets way too much praise, he is and always has been massively over-rated.

As for Guzan I assume he will be part of the annual summer exodus from Villa Park only to be replaced by an inferrior replacement.

We can't hold onto Guzan though. He's going to want first team football, and we can't offer it to him.

He's not as good as Given so he's going to remain on the bench if he stays here. I imagine there's already been a conversation along those lines and Guzan has probably just told them he's off then.

He's good enough to get first team football elsewhere, but he's not good enough to get it here within the next few years at least.

Consistency is key. Of course you'd rather have a keeper who can come and claim a lot of crosses. but if he can't then as long as he's consistent then it isn't a huge problem. Given gets way too much criticism for this.

If we had a keeper who claimed more I don't think it wouldn't have made a huge difference to our goals conceded column.

I actually agree with this. It is the saving grace of keepers like Given and Friedel that there defense knows that they have to win every ball in on set pieces. I do believe though that every team knows Given will stay on his line and they've figured out how to put the ball right on top of the six yard box and put us under pressure. I also think that it neccesitates a certain kind of central defender the "throw yourself in front of everything type" which at times makes Collins and Dunne look like world beaters and at other times makes them like incompetent. All I'm saying is that a keeper that is able to relieve pressure by coming for the ball occasionally on set pieces would almost certainly improve our set pieces deficiency. Also considering how poor we are at winning the ball on set pieces I think its becoming a must. We are completely incapable of scoring from a set piece (other than a long throw, delivery is obviously a problem too) and we are letting soft goals in from corners at an alarming rate.

Edit: and I don't think he gets to much criticism. In fact one of the main reasons that I feel the need to post this is because I feel like his gotten a bit of a pass this year. More than anything its just been bothering me and I was surprised nobody was talking about it, I know Shay is an Irish legend and has been one of the most consistent keepers in Premier League history. I just hate that we've signed him between years 35-40 especially given his chronic injury problems

I'm not saying it isn't a weakness of Given's. It is, of course.

But it doesn't make him "very poor". He's still one of the better keepers in the league.

And as for the "chronic injury problems", it's basically a myth. he's had one bad injury in the past which kept him out for a long time, and he pulled a muscle with us, a totally unrelated injury taht you can't attribute to past injuries.

Look at his appearances over the years. Not including his time at Man City (which was down to being 2nd choice to Hart, not injuries) his appearances are actually very very high.

The problem isnt given, its those doing the job in front of him (or not as the case may be).

Stick the worlds best keeper in our goal and he would look weaker as he is attempting to stop 50% more shots and attacking threats than he would normally have to dueto our defensive ineptitude.

As for Guzan, he's not without fault. Remember, he could barely catch a ball a couple of season ago. The fact is he's had a decent run over Xmas and is soon out of contract. He sees Given will be No1 and is thinking he would rather ply his trade elsewhere. It doesn't come down down to Villa wanting to keep him but more of some club saying he'll be our No1 and that's what he wants at this stage of his career.

He's also going to want to be first choice for the USA national team. He's in the squad right now as a third choice back up, but the only way he's going to move up and get more games is if he's the first choice at another club. Leaving Villa isn't just about more football in the Premier League, if he's as patriotic as most Americans are the most important prize is to be the first choice for his country.

• 1 month later...

Disappointed he hasn't signed a new contract, but it's hardly surprising.

Thanks for the penalty saves big man, good luck in the future :thumb:

Heard he is sunderland bound?
Can't see it, personally. Guzan needs to go somewhere where he can walk straight into the sticks and he wouldn't dislodge Mignolet.

There might be a small keeper-go-round with QPR/West Ham/Blackburn, he could get in on that or maybe even Southampton if they fancy replacing an ageing Kelvin Davis.

So - will we be in the market for another keeper? They happy for Andy Marshall to be no. 2? Or has Benjy been given the green light to move up to the first team?

Â