Brad Guzan

R.Bear

I wonder if hes gonna get "a clean sheet" this time, I mean compete on level terms with Given. Last year it pretty much was if Givens fit he´ll play. Maybe this time its said the best keeper will play? A fair crack at the wip? He didnt let anybody down last season IMO

But to be fair, last year the best keeper did play.

Guzan didn't let anybody down, but Given is better than Guzan. Or at least he was last season, I guess this season will have to wait and see.

Yep, agree with that. But as you say that was last season....

Good news! I honestly don't think there's much between Guzan and Given; both great shot-stoppers.

Guzan just needs consistent games and hopefully will get this in pre-season; if Given still has injury concerns we may have to look after him more this season than last?

USA USA USA USA USA

I started chanting this when he saved the last minute pen against Bristol Rovers in the FA Cup last season. Literally no one else joined in. I was pretty sad for a few seconds.

I hope they join in when he inevitabely saves his next penno ^__^

Glad to hear this. I rate Guzan. He's still young for a goalkeeper. And when he stepped in when Given was injured he showed that he is a very good keeper.

Bit of a "meh" moment for me tbf. He's OK as a goalie but never really established his claim to be no. 1 at Villa. Presumably the idea when he signed first time around was that he would inherit big Brad's crown. But that didn't happen and probably for a good reason.

Guzan is a great keeper. Played in arguably our best performance last season, the 3-1 win at Stamford Bridge. Even though I think Given is the better keeper, Guzan runs him closer than many second choices run their first choice keepers. Great shot stopper, has an eye to start a move with a quick kick or throw out (In this area I believe he's better than Given) and seems to have the right temprement to stay calm during penalties. He does need to be more vocal, command his box more and be stronger when crosses are coming in from open play, free kicks or corners; in those areas I think Shay Given, along with his greater experience surpassess Guzan but it's nice to have more confidence when the second choice is called upon, than most of teams seem to have.

NO GOAL FOR YOU!

Won't forget when he screamed this in Del Piero's face after he saved his pen in the final of the Peace Cup

I'd be happy if we resigned him tbh

Did Guzan say this himself? I thought it was just the commentator.

It was. Seems that Ash did forget what happened somewhat :lol:

Don't get this back up keeper stance. When he came in he kept a number of clean sheets, made some good saves when asked, and also, unlike Given, commanded his penalty area and came for crosses. In my opinion he is a better keeper than Given and I have no qualms about him being between the stick if he is first choice.

Not as good a shot stopper as Given but when he came in he didn't put a foot wrong and to be fair the defence looked more organised with Guzan in goal than Given. He seems to be far more vocal than Given and better at coming from his line, which is particularly encouraging as he was horrible at dealing with high balls when we played Blackburn a few years ago. The fact he has improved that area of his game suggests he knows his weaknesses and has the ability to work on them and improve.

When you have a 36 year old goalkeeper, who is known for picking up the odd injury, it is important to have a good keeper to come in and Guzan is a good keeper. The fact Given had a stinker at the Euros may also have some thought in the managers mind.

Giving Shay a 5 year contract was, in my opinion, a very strange thing to do.

Â