Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

30 minutes ago, BOF said:

For me he's the guy in the shit Jurassic Parks.

To prove I wasn’t kidding, I honestly have no idea what you’re talking about. I have zero interest in any of the films he’s played in, but absolutely loved him in Parks & Rec. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, El Zen said:

Chris Pratt will forever and always just be Andy Dwyer to me. 

Same here. I'm starting to think your 'twins' theory is correct. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, il_serpente said:

Why were there no posts on this thread between 3 hours ago and 1 hour ago?

Gods move in mysterious ways. You should maybe check out a religious thread, see if you can actually spot any mysterious movement.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Will that still be case after the new one where he stars alongside Sam Neill and Jeff Goldblum?

Well yeah cuz he was in the shit ones.

4 hours ago, BOF said:

I wondered a related thing when I were a lad. How can you have so many different songs when we effectively just have 8 notes (ignoring different octaves where A == A, B == B etc).

Emphasis on 'when I were a lad'.

12 notes

*pedant alert

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

Sometimes I wonder,how is it that you can get so many different faces when you take into account that.

The shape has to be basically similar

Must have 2 eyes

Must have 1 nose ( below and between the eyes )

Must have 1 mouth directly below the nose

Must have 2 ears ( one on each side )

Yet,with so many restrictions we all look different.

Funnily enough, I was thinking something similar, but about voices. Minor variations in the larynx, producing an almost infinite variety of recognisably distinct voices. 

15 hours ago, Chindie said:

There's a fairly wide range of variation across each of those, and more beside, that combine to infinite diversity in looks.

Even just looking at eyes, the following (and more) will be different person to person and each with subtly affect looks

Eye shape

Eye alignment

Eye depth

Eye spacing

Eye protrusion

Eyelid shape

Eyelid drop

Size and shape of orbital socket

Eyebrow shape

Eyebrow density

Eye colour

Skin type

And so on.

Then repeat that for every 'region' of the face. Little things accumulate into big differences. And even so we still get 'dopplegangers' where someone will look close enough to another person that to varying degrees of inspection can pass as that person.

All you humans look the same to me.  

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Chindie said:

There's a fairly wide range of variation across each of those, and more beside, that combine to infinite diversity in looks.

Even just looking at eyes, the following (and more) will be different person to person and each with subtly affect looks

Eye shape

Eye alignment

Eye depth

Eye spacing

Eye protrusion

Eyelid shape

Eyelid drop

Size and shape of orbital socket

Eyebrow shape

Eyebrow density

Eye colour

Skin type

And so on.

Then repeat that for every 'region' of the face. Little things accumulate into big differences. And even so we still get 'dopplegangers' where someone will look close enough to another person that to varying degrees of inspection can pass as that person.

Fair enough,but just think of one large city in the world,eg Calcutta,London,New york etc etc etc and you are talking heaps upon heaps of variations,and thats just in one city.Multiply that by the population of any one large country,eg India,USA GB and we are again talking about heaps upon heaps of different faces.

15 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

Fair enough,but just think of one large city in the world,eg Calcutta,London,New york etc etc etc and you are talking heaps upon heaps of variations,and thats just in one city.Multiply that by the population of any one large country,eg India,USA GB and we are again talking about heaps upon heaps of different faces.

Let's say that, of the things I outlined there, each of the criteria has 5 distinct variations that look noticeably different (it'll actually be more than that, but that's by the by).

That's 12^5. That's 250,000 distinct variations. Just of the eyes. Add in the same variations of every other part of the face and you get ridiculous numbers very quickly. And the reality is it'll be even higher than that.

Even with that you'll still get multiple people that look very alike, because the differences will be small, but they will still be different.

I see this kind of thing a lot because, as a massive fat bodied nerd, I collect expensive action figures that attempt to look very realistically like famous characters or actors. And the people behind those figures are extremely talented and have tons of reference photos and all the best technologies to get accurate representation of someone. And they get bloody close, some are uncanny. But some, no matter how good they are technically and how obviously they are the person they are meant to be, aren't quite right. They get the slightest element a fraction off, and it's noticeably not right - it ends up looking more like a figure of a really good tribute act than the real person. It might be as subtle as the eye brows not be quite pronounced enough, the jaw line being slightly the wrong angle, the cheeks very slightly too sunken, etc, but it looks like a different person, just.

• Like 1

What right do the police have to take someone’s details?

They asked for mine because a bar/club asked me to leave / wouldn’t let me in (fair enough), but what have the police got to do with it?

i told them I’m Joris Bohnson and go solve some crimes instead of talking to someone who just wants a juicy IPA.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

What right do the police have to take someone’s details?

They asked for mine because a bar/club asked me to leave / wouldn’t let me in (fair enough), but what have the police got to do with it?

i told them I’m Joris Bohnson and go solve some crimes instead of talking to someone who just wants a juicy IPA.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/scotland/law-and-courts/legal-system-s/police-s/police-powers-to-stop-and-search-enter-private-property-and-seize-goods-s/#:~:text=If asked to do so,could be arrested and charged.

"If asked to do so, you must give your name, address, date and place of birth and nationality to the officer. You may also be asked for an explanation of your behaviour. If you give false information or refuse to answer, you are committing an offence for which you could be arrested and charged."

They have the right to make you identify yourself but have less limited rights about searching you and your possessions. However with Patel in charge I expect police rights will only go one way. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â