Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

30 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

For example

"Why do you think I have stopped you?" should make you reply;

"I would like you to tell me please officer." 

If you say something like "Was I speeding" you have just shown that you are unaware of your speed and therefore were driving without due care or attention.  

A long time ago on a sunny afternoon in Cornwall I was on an empty stretch of the A30 dual carriageway. I was going “quite fast”, fast enough that I needed to keep an eye out for police cars. The moment I spotted a car in the distance in my rear view mirror I took my foot off the accelerator and gently hand-breaked to a respectable speed. The car behind me came up very very fast put on a blue light and pulled me over.

”how fast were you going?”

”just on the speed limit officer”

”you weren’t, you were going so fast we couldn’t measure your speed on our gun”

[me knows I’m safe] “well officer, my Speedo said 70”

“Are you calling me a liar?”

”no not at all officer, I just answered your question”

and so on. We both knew they hadn’t got me and I wasn’t going to give them a hint of a reason to nick me. They checked the car over, asked loads more questions, but had nothing. Their first comment gave the game away completely. 

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I’ve had plenty of interactions with the police when I was younger.

As much as they have a very difficult job to do, it’s also true that either very few of them have any understanding of the law, or, they know the law but decide the power trip is too sweet to resist. Give them an inch and they’ll take a mile.

This is how I feel and I think it’s all the stuff I’ve learned on here from people like you (thanks!) that led me to say no instead of giving my name 

Edited by fightoffyour

There was a massive Police embarrassment in Redditch a few months ago. I am not sure if it was reported in your local press? 

A guy on YOUTUBE regularly attends Police stations and legally films things to “test” the Police reaction.  On this occasion he was filming cars in the car park.  100% legal. 
He was confronted by a DC with a terrible attitude who ask what he was as doing.  He declined to give an honest answer or identify himself.  He was arrested under the Terrorism Act. At this point the Police’s actions are harsh but otherwise legal.  
Whilst he was being processed at the station he met a cop who had arrested him a few months earlier for the same thing.  This cop knows who is and why he was filming. 
At this point he should have been un-arrested, given a cup of tea and allowed to leave.  Instead they continued to hold him.  100% illegal. 
It provoked a immediate public apology from the Police Force and an immediate admission that they were wrong.  

2 hours ago, blandy said:

A long time ago on a sunny afternoon in Cornwall I was on an empty stretch of the A30 dual carriageway. I was going “quite fast”, fast enough that I needed to keep an eye out for police cars. The moment I spotted a car in the distance in my rear view mirror I took my foot off the accelerator and gently hand-breaked to a respectable speed. The car behind me came up very very fast put on a blue light and pulled me over.

”how fast were you going?”

”just on the speed limit officer”

”you weren’t, you were going so fast we couldn’t measure your speed on our gun”

[me knows I’m safe] “well officer, my Speedo said 70”

“Are you calling me a liar?”

”no not at all officer, I just answered your question”

and so on. We both knew they hadn’t got me and I wasn’t going to give them a hint of a reason to nick me. They checked the car over, asked loads more questions, but had nothing. Their first comment gave the game away completely. 

NEVER, ever lie.  Had he actually managed to measure your speed, your lie that you were on the limit shows you are either obstructing the officer or were not driving with due care and attention.  Both of those charges are worse than speeding. 

The best answer would have been: “Could you please tell me what it was from your perspective and what device you used to measure it.”

NEVER, EVER lie.  You are better to keep you mouth shut than lie.  

Edited by Mandy Lifeboats
Spelling mishsteaks
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

NEVER, ever lie.  Had he actually managed to measure your speed, your lie that you were on the limit shows you are either obstructing the officer or we’re not driving with due care and attention.  Both of those charges are worse than speeding. 

The best answer would have been: “Could you please tell me what it was from your perspective and what device you used to measure it.”

NEVER, EVER lie.  You are better to keep you mouth shut than lie.  

I didn’t lie. My Speedo did show 70, it’s just that the needle was pointing elsewhere 🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

And also, more relevantly, I was going just under 70 when they pulled me over. When I was going “quite fast” was when they were (presumably) parked up eating donuts and unable to get me on their gun, as they said.

I was public gallery at the Old Bailey.

A proper old school barrister asked a guy quite a few times about his hat, as the bloke wot did it was wearing a hat.

Every time he asked about the colour of the hat the bloke said he hadn’t been wearing one.

30 minutes later ‘Rumpole’ knocks all his papers to the floor, apologises, picks them up, bumbles, apologises, flicks through them, shuffles them, can’t find something, apologises…

’sorry, did you say your hat was red, or green?’

’green’

audible gasp from pretty much the whole room

• Haha 3

Mr Smith was being prosecuted for breaching a banning order that prevented him travelling abroad when England were playing away. He denied being abroad despite significant circumstantial evidence.  

The accused and the prosecution had been involved in a long and heated exchange.  The accused had completely lost his cool which was exactly what the barrister was hoping for. 

How dare you spend your entire 2 weeks benefit to fly out to Spain. Do you expect honest tax payers to pay for your luxurious flight to Spain?  

No! My Nan bought me that plane ticket as a birthday present!  

• Haha 1

On 14/05/2022 at 14:21, Mandy Lifeboats said:

A few years ago I was at a Youth Court hearing.  They are less formal than court and normally begin with everyone explaining who the are and why they are there in very simple terms.  Tom was charged with stealing a moped and was pleading Not Guilty.  Everyone did their introductions. Tom was last.

“I’m Tom.  I’m the one that stole the moped.”

Tom did not go on to become a neurosurgeon.

Who has retained their avatar the longest without change. I say this as it seems to my poor eyes that @lapal_fan has changed his user pic. Who has stuck with the same user pic for their entire VT life? Xann possibly. 

5 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Who has retained their avatar the longest without change. I say this as it seems to my poor eyes that @lapal_fan has changed his user pic. Who has stuck with the same user pic for their entire VT life? Xann possibly. 

I can't remember the last time mine was not Asashoryu.

EDIT : From looking back, I know it's pre-2007 at the very least.

4 minutes ago, BOF said:

That's true, I have only ever known the sumo fella. You may take this. 

7 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I only changed mine for the first time last week. 

It's the same Jim Carry picture, put on Alan Grant (from Jurassic Park), because someone mentioned me as the resident dino-expert - which I wear with great **** pride, lemme tell ya.

And for the purposes of that, I now label you @Seat68, a WANKERSAURUS. 

HAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA Ave it, bitch. 🖕

• Haha 3

Just now, Seat68 said:

That's true, I have only ever known the sumo fella. You may take this. 

Simon probably takes it though with his limpid pool ripple.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BOF said:

I've always wondered who your avatar was so that's one thing less to wonder about. 

• Like 1

Â