Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

31 minutes ago, Xela said:

I remember my Dad's 40th, I was 12 and he seemed more mature than I will ever be. He had a 'grown up' car (A Ford Granada), which he could fix things on when broken and could fix the guttering, change plugs, build a bookcase, had a toolbox, etc. As for me, no idea how to do any of that! Maybe its a generational thing or I'm just not wired up for manual tasks!

I know I'm older in some respects... I can't party all night any more and my waist line has 'relaxed' over the years but part of me still thinks I can attract women in their early 20's. Reality check needed! 

100% the generational thing makes a big difference. Quite how things changed so much in one generation I don't know but being in your 50's is no longer classed as "old" people still go out, wear trendy clothes, use all the social medias. As you say, back when I was in my early teens someone in their 50's was on the scrap heap and dressing and acting like an "old" person. Fast forward 20 years and its all changed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

..... I still feel basically the same as I did when I was a student. Somehow I have a career, and some crazy people have given me a mortgage and let me on the road, which I don't understand at all. I often feel like an imposter.

Then I had lunch with some of the younger staff at work that are about 20-21, and it felt like I was babysitting.

Yep, totally.

I drive around in my little car, king of my own CD player. I often feel like I'm getting away with it and have that nagging niggling worry that eventually I will be 'found out'. Mentally, I still haven't progressed beyond boobs being endlessly funny and fascinating. But I do read The Observer which is very thin on boobage.

Then, for a couple of days this week, I sit in on meetings in a Conceptual Designer's office in Clerkenwell. They're all sat there in hats and boiler suits and **** dungarees and oversized spectacles wondering if we can make the roof out of clear plastic rather than have lights....and I'm wondering if there are hidden cameras filming my reactions to all the shite they are coming out with.

• Like 1

I'm 57 next month and remember all those mid 40's feelings. It comes crashing down, to be replaced by a new reality that is somewhat easier but way less exciting. I have grand kids, can buy nice guitars and cars if I want, but I know, deep down, it's all gone. Mooney will be here soon saying it's the best time of his life. Don't be fooled, you get old really quickly. Just make sure you don't look back with regret. My only advice, for what it's worth; hold on to love, it really is all that matters, and all you end up with.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, BillyShears said:

My only advice, for what it's worth; hold on to love, it really is all that matters, and all you end up with.

I love that. It reminds me of that lyric from Everybody's Free to Wear Sunscreen.

"Be nice to your siblings, they are your best link to your past and the people most likely to stick with you in the future."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

I'm 25 and everything is slotting into place and I feel old as ****.

Interesting. Why do you think that is? When most people seem to still be pretending to be an adult? :)

3 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

Mooney's going to pop in to this thread soon and laugh at us.

Give him a  chance he hasn't finished his race yet ...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Xela said:

Does anyone actually feel their age? I'm 40 in a couple of years but I no way think or can even believe that I am. I guess in my mind I still think I'm in my early/mid 20's.

I'm 46 and  the day I stop behaving as I've always done is the day you know I'm dead ... For sure I have responsibilities now with kids and what not but even then I went out and played Knock down Ginger with my kids the other day as they were asking me about things I got up to when I was their age  .. not sure what someone passing would have made of an adult and 2 kids crouched down behind a car  

I guess for me  the only thing that really changed is that as a 20 year old I may have gone to public places and joined in on the periphery , where as nowadays I'm most likely to not give a monkeys  ... I have a tendency at most pub gigs now to get on stage with the bands and play a bit of Tambourine and offer some backing vocals even though I sing like a strangled cat  ... Don't get me wrong I don't storm the stage like a modern day Jarvis Cocker , you sorta get the vibe form the bands if they want you up there or not and I'll only go if they encourage me ..but I don't need a lot of encouraging

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Give him a  chance he hasn't finished his race yet ...

Top bloke, that's what I'm aiming for. 

But yeah. I remember my dad in his 80s saying that thing - in his head he was still about 22. And I believed him. I'm the same at 63, can't see that changing. 

The 'being able to do practical things' isn't a function of age per se, it's more a function of marriage, parenthood and home ownership. 

Just now, mjmooney said:

The 'being able to do practical things' isn't a function of age per se, it's more a function of marriage, parenthood and home ownership. 

true .. I always prided myself on being the most useless DIY man on the planet  , but I've actually become quite adept at a few tasks around the house I didn't know I was capable of  , I've even progressed to drilling holes and fixing things to the wall with rawl plugs and screws instead of just using Blu-Tack

but still don't ask me to put wallpaper up as it will almost certainly fall of the wall within 30 minutes

When my dad was the age I am now, I'd already graduated university, he was ten years into building his business empire, had paid off most of his mortgage with three grown up kids and he was still playing football twice a week. 

I've not played football in 8 years, only got a mortgage a few years ago and still gad about like a teenager. 

7 hours ago, Xela said:

I remember my Dad's 40th, I was 12 and he seemed more mature than I will ever be. He had a 'grown up' car (A Ford Granada), which he could fix things on when broken and could fix the guttering, change plugs, build a bookcase, had a toolbox, etc. As for me, no idea how to do any of that! Maybe its a generational thing or I'm just not wired up for manual tasks!

I think a lot of guys think like that. 

I could be wrong, but it may have been Stephen Merchant on one of Ricky Gervais' podcasts who was talking about some manly task he had to perform - possibly helping a large vehicle reverse. Anyway Merchant said he felt like the driver's response would be "**** off and go get your Dad".

• Like 1

Who is buying Ed Sheeran's music?

I mean he seems a nice chap and all, but he's bloody massive isn't he? 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Xela said:

I've not bought anything of his music but he has had a few catchy pop tunes I'll give him that. There was a new song of his on the radio earlier, Castle on the Hill it was called and it was atrocious. Sounded like a 5 year old wrote it.

Can't understand why anyone would want to see him live in a huge stadium, he's the most boring man in the world.

24 minutes ago, Xela said:

Every time I see him on telly he sounds really desperate to come over as a nice everyday guy. His music does my head in. Someone elsewhere on this site described is far more eloquently and humorously than I ever could but it's trying soooo hard to be deep and meaningful whilst popy.  

His new track is tragic. Trying so hard to sound like a wistful American. Could be a Brian Adams song. 

I've heard his name for a while, but it was only last week that I finally could put a face to the name. 

Apparently he's massive and has written songs for other people arguably more famous than him.

Fair play. 

11 hours ago, Xela said:

Predominately women and people who don't care enough about music to go out and find stuff on their own and instead let the radio tell them what's popular.

I didn't mind him at first, a couple of his songs were catchy and I think he has talent, but the fact he's now everywhere and that his latest songs are shit (don't get me started on that one which is a massive rip-off of Let's Get It On by Marvin Gaye) has made me unable to ignore him and now I'm a bit fed up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

I've heard his name for a while, but it was only last week that I finally could put a face to the name. 

Apparently he's massive and has written songs for other people arguably more famous than him.

Fair play. 

Indeed, fair play, he has amassed a fortune of £60m in a few years but his music is just a bit 'meh'

On 3/3/2017 at 04:49, AVFCDAN said:

... back when I was in my early teens someone in their 50's was on the scrap heap and dressing and acting like an "old" person. Fast forward 20 years and its all changed.

I'm in my 50's now and I dress like an old person:

f47cb21306be472abf3867d0d9cd8f81.jpg.41fd1db9673ec3b87d8f2870b308ef54.jpg

Â