Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Caramel is just burnt sugar anyway isn't it?

That's like twice cooked chips. 

Just cook em once!

Ooh, no. Twice cooked chips are ace. 

Yeah I had triple cooked chips yesterday actually. They were quite nice, but there were literally four of them. In a small pot to try and fool you into thinking they haven't swindled you.

8 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Why is pink a colour in its own right? It's just light red. Nobody thnks light blue is a different colour from blue. 

It's as different from red as yellow is from green, from an RGB context.

23 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Why is pink a colour in its own right? It's just light red. Nobody thnks light blue is a different colour from blue. 

I'll claim it isn't a pure colour in its own right. I reckon it's just a word people use for a part of the visible spectrum.

And everybody thinks light blue is a different colour from blue - ask Coventry and Evrton fans - "are your shirts the same colour?"

22 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Could you not say that about anything that isn't a primary colour?

1 hour ago, blandy said:

I'll claim it isn't a pure colour in its own right. I reckon it's just a word people use for a part of the visible spectrum.

And everybody thinks light blue is a different colour from blue - ask Coventry and Evrton fans - "are your shirts the same colour?"

Isn't Mr Mooney asking why we don't have two words for those two different colours? I mean, apart from 'light' and 'dark', they both contain 'blue'. 

1 hour ago, blandy said:

Yeah, but it's still called "light BLUE" - there isn't a separate name for it (I know women and paint manufacturers have a whole bunch of words like "teal", etc., but they're not in everyday use). I'm not disputing that light blue can be distinguished from dark blue, I'm saying that pink should follow the same rule, and be called "light red".

46 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Yeah, but it's still called "light BLUE" - there isn't a separate name for it (I know women and paint manufacturers have a whole bunch of words like "teal", etc., but they're not in everyday use). I'm not disputing that light blue can be distinguished from dark blue, I'm saying that pink should follow the same rule, and be called "light red".

We do use navy for dark blue.  But yeah we don't have a light equivalent.  Even brown has beige.

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

The actual proper names for "light blue" not being used as often as they perhaps ought to be isn't a reason to stop using "pink". 

I mean how's that gonna go down in the fifth frame of the snooker final at the cruciple?

The proper science names such as Azure, or Cyan should be used, or even Sky (though people watching the snooker on BBC might get all confused, if the balance on their telly is a bit off).

And also, pink (rose) is like a mixture of white (there they all are, all the lights) and red, whereas a pale or feint or light red is basically red, but just not all that much of it, so isn't the same thing anyway.

caveat - I may not know what I'm on about

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Xela said:

Why does easter egg chocolate always taste better?

Is it because its thinner?

Eating it at breakfast time is just the best, I loved it as a kid and still do at 35 :D

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

For a man quite strict on advent calendars and opening Birthday and Christmas presents on the correct day, I'm an anarchist when it comes to Easter, I've been eating chocolate eggs for weeks.

My gf tastes them (kinda) for a living. I basically have a constant, free, supply :D 

• Like 1

Â