Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

54 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I've only just found out she's Ron Howard's daughter, I had no idea.

Which brings me neatly to another entry.  I often wonder what I don't know.  I don't mean obviously don't know, like how to speak Greek or create a warp core.  I mean stuff everyone knows and that I should know, but which has somehow passed me by.  I suppose that's why I love trivia.  It's a consequence of not wanting stuff to pass me by.  Ho hum.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, V01 said:

The things you don't know you don't know?

Yes but I don't know what they are.

Phisolophical innit?

That's very true.  You usually find that the stupider the person, the more sure they are that they know everything.  They think their little bubble is everything.  It's called the Dunning Kruger effect.  Intelligent people can be full of doubt because they're more aware that there may be unknowns that they're not yet aware of.  Whereas Dummy Dumbass is full of confidence and ploughs on.

• Like 4

Does anyone actually feel their age? I'm 40 in a couple of years but I no way think or can even believe that I am. I guess in my mind I still think I'm in my early/mid 20's.

Just now, Xela said:

Does anyone actually feel their age? I'm 40 in a couple of years but I no way think or can even believe that I am. I guess in my mind I still think I'm in my early/mid 20's.

Driving to work this morning, I was thinking about how I don't feel old enough to drive. I'm 30 next month.

If I committed a crime and the police were on the hunt for me, they'd describe me as 'a 29 year old man'. I'd think I'd gotten away with it as I'm still a boy.

38 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Driving to work this morning, I was thinking about how I don't feel old enough to drive. I'm 30 next month.

If I committed a crime and the police were on the hunt for me, they'd describe me as 'a 29 year old man'. I'd think I'd gotten away with it as I'm still a boy.

Totally agree. I think that's exactly what a mid-life crisis is in reality. People can't comprehend their mind and internal association with their age in relation to how they are perceived on the outside. I guess that can manifest itself by cosmetic things such as receding hair line or something as simple as ticking a box on a survey for an age group you don't feel you belong in.

I'm 31 myself and certainly don't feel it, I suspect i'll be feeling the same as Xela once I get near 40.

Edited by AVFCDAN
  • Like 1

Read somewhere yesterday that roughly £640 m worth of pound coins have been removed from circulation , presumably lost down the back of sofa's , stuck in a jar somewhere etc etc

What would be the impact if by some miracle , all £640m suddenly came back into circulation ?

11 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Totally agree. I think that's exactly what a mid-life crisis is in reality. People can't comprehend their mind and internal association with their age in relation to how they are perceived on the outside. I guess that can manifest itself by cosmetic things such as receding hair line or something as simple as ticking a box on a survey for an age group you don't feel you belong in.

I'm 31 myself and certainly don't feel it, I suspect i'll be feeling the same as Xela once I get near 40.

I remember my Dad's 40th, I was 12 and he seemed more mature than I will ever be. He had a 'grown up' car (A Ford Granada), which he could fix things on when broken and could fix the guttering, change plugs, build a bookcase, had a toolbox, etc. As for me, no idea how to do any of that! Maybe its a generational thing or I'm just not wired up for manual tasks!

I know I'm older in some respects... I can't party all night any more and my waist line has 'relaxed' over the years but part of me still thinks I can attract women in their early 20's. Reality check needed! 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Xela said:

I remember my Dad's 40th, I was 12 and he seemed more mature than I will ever be. He had a 'grown up' car (A Ford Granada), which he could fix things on when broken and could fix the guttering, change plugs, build a bookcase, had a toolbox, etc. As for me, no idea how to do any of that! Maybe its a generational thing or I'm just not wired up for manual tasks!

I know I'm older in some respects... I can't party all night any more and my waist line has 'relaxed' over the years but part of me still thinks I can attract women in their early 20's. Reality check needed! 

You couldn't do that in your 20s joke boy :lol: 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

You couldn't do that in your 20s joke boy :lol: 

Exactly! :D

Must be getting delusional as the years go by! 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

There's plenty of women in their early twenties that have daddy issues, you'll be just fine ;) 

I'm sure you have probably met some on online dating with your track record! :)

• Like 1

Haha, without a doubt.

It's funny, I feel the same as a lot of you guys, I'm now undeniably in my late twenties, at 28; at 27 I could still convince myself that I was mid-twenties. But I still feel basically the same as I did when I was a student. Somehow I have a career, and some crazy people have given me a mortgage and let me on the road, which I don't understand at all. I often feel like an imposter.

Then I had lunch with some of the younger staff at work that are about 20-21, and it felt like I was babysitting.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Haha, without a doubt.

It's funny, I feel the same as a lot of you guys, I'm now undeniably in my late twenties, at 28; at 27 I could still convince myself that I was mid-twenties. But I still feel basically the same as I did when I was a student. Somehow I have a career, and some crazy people have given me a mortgage and let me on the road, which I don't understand at all. I often feel like an imposter.

Then I had lunch with some of the younger staff at work that are about 20-21, and it felt like I was babysitting.

I think that's how most people feel. I got to 31 and have no idea how it happened, how I have a job or how anybody takes me seriously at all.

Sometimes I think people will see right through it until I see people in their early twenties and realise at some point along the way I grew up slightly. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'm 45 with a wife and kids and I still feel like this :D

• Like 1

Â