Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

Wouldn't shock me if we went with Kozak and Bent while Benteke recovers, it would at least give Gabby and Weimann a kick up the backside.

Bent played well with Kenwyne Jones at Sunderland so think that might come up with a few goals.

Bit of a conspiracy theory here...but maybe, besides the obvious financial reasons, there might have been a personnel clash between Karsa and Culverhouse and Bent/Hutton/Given/Delfouneso/N'Zogbia to exacerbate the bomb squad relations?

Bit of a conspiracy theory here...but maybe, besides the obvious financial reasons, there might have been a personnel clash between Karsa and Culverhouse and Bent/Hutton/Given/Delfouneso/N'Zogbia to exacerbate the bomb squad relations?

Edited by Djemba_Villan

I think the only way us Villa fans can look at this without getting too despondant (dont worry, I feel the same too) - is to think of this as........We have a hungry striker, who used to be good, who will be busting a gut to make an impression during the final year of his contract to earn a pay day at the end of it. Let's just hope he scrapes enough goals to see us through this potentially abysmal season. 

One bonus is that we will have a big target man (Kozak, then Benteke) to play alongside him, as he always has had wherever he's flourished.

Hutton, again, will be busting a gut to make an impression and might be a decent option against some of the opposition.

Not sure I'd call them Hungry unless you're talking about money... certainly not hungry for success.

I think he's good. What do you think ?

He's good if we actually get service into him, if we expect him to play as a lone striker to hold it and bring others into the game, then it's like playing with 10 men. Maybe Jack could provide him that service.

I'd love to see Jack providing Benteke and Bent if im honest. Both get into space very well.

We could probably get Downing and Young back too if the wage bill allowed it. 

And Charlie Aitken at left back.

Plenty of experience and good with antiques so he can look after our trophy cabinet too.

I'd prefer bent playing rather than kozak.

Darren Bent 3 league goals

Libor Kozak 4 league goals and broke his leg at Christmas

so really?

Yes, because Kozak is a Paul Lambert signing whereas Darren Bent is not. Thus, Bent > Kozak. Obviously.

but Bent is a Houllier signing who he also didn't like. im confused, who is better than who :unsure:

Well you both might judge players on who signed them but I prefer to judge them on ability and what I see.

I remember the positivity I felt regarding Bent with that goal he scored against Man City just after he arrived. Following up play and just being in the right place to knock it in. I said to my mate at the time "it's been so bloody long since we've had a striker who would have been in the right position to score that."

I can't believe he's just lost that ability, and given how poor we were at making space in the final third and putting away half-chances last season I'd like to think we can find a way to use that. Then again, another of our problems has been keeping the ball high up the pitch and relieving pressure on our defence, which I guess he's not exactly going to help with. Can we find a way to utilise his talents without having to change our whole style of play to "having Bent in the team" tactics? I'd like to think so, but god knows how we do that with our current crop of players, and even less so given the way Lambert likes to set us up.

Edited by Intercourse_The_Penguin

I for one would like to see Bent given another chance. But the only way to do that is to supply him. But we have already extinguished that by letting go of Albrighton. Bizarre!!!!

I think he's good. What do you think ?

He's good if we actually get service into him, if we expect him to play as a lone striker to hold it and bring others into the game, then it's like playing with 10 men. Maybe Jack could provide him that service.

I'd love to see Jack providing Benteke and Bent if im honest. Both get into space very well.

Think you will see it soon mate.

• Like 1

I'd prefer bent playing rather than kozak.

Darren Bent 3 league goals

Libor Kozak 4 league goals and broke his leg at Christmas

so really?

Yes, because Kozak is a Paul Lambert signing whereas Darren Bent is not. Thus, Bent > Kozak. Obviously.

but Bent is a Houllier signing who he also didn't like. im confused, who is better than who :unsure:

Well you both might judge players on who signed them but I prefer to judge them on ability and what I see.

Interesting then, given that Kozak scored 4 goals in 14 appearances last season whereas Bent scored 3 in 24.

Hopefully you're right, though, and Darren will be banging in goals for us this coming season.

I've got no issue welcoming Bent back. He's on 60k plus so while we're paying him we may as well use him. I'm sure there's still a player in there somewhere who could chip in with 5-10 goals which is more than could be said of Gabby last season. As has been said, put him up top with Benteke or Kozak and I bet he'd get a few goals, he just needs his confidence back.

I'm all for it.

<Insert obligatory "you can say that again" comment here> 

• Like 1

I think the only way us Villa fans can look at this without getting too despondant (dont worry, I feel the same too) - is to think of this as........We have a hungry striker, who used to be good, who will be busting a gut to make an impression during the final year of his contract to earn a pay day at the end of it. Let's just hope he scrapes enough goals to see us through this potentially abysmal season. 

One bonus is that we will have a big target man (Kozak, then Benteke) to play alongside him, as he always has had wherever he's flourished.

Hutton, again, will be busting a gut to make an impression and might be a decent option against some of the opposition.

If he's got anything about him (Bent) then he should come back absolutely determined to prove he has still 'got it'

My impression of him though is that 'determination' is something that he is severely lacking (along with hard work and self sacrifice)

It's a myth that PL never gave him a chance and he's a busted flush as far as I'm concerned. I would love him to prove me wrong.

Â