Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

How much more depressing can things get this summer

This - right now, it seems the tunnel has no light at the end of it. I should be able to just shrug it off and go 'meh,' as it is after all, only football. But, I am feeling quite down and stressed out frankly, and I'm not even on the payroll.

The whole thing of calling Bent and the others back from the bomb squad could just be a public display of making them seem wanted. With the idea being that it shows clubs thinking of making an offer that they can't get them on the cheap because we're not that desperate to get rid.

• Like 1

I do not see the problem with recalling Bent

He's a goalscorer and we had trouble scoring goals at points throughout the season

But if were playing him he can't lead the line on his own he needs someone alongside him

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 1

Has bent ever played alongside Benteke? It could work well for him to have a big target man like Benteke or Kozak alongside him. He's not the player he was a few years ago and can't lead the line on his own and more. He's still a good poacher with good positioning though.

Has bent ever played alongside Benteke? It could work well for him to have a big target man like Benteke or Kozak alongside him. He's not the player he was a few years ago and can't lead the line on his own and more. He's still a good poacher with good positioning though.

They played a handful of games together when Benteke first signed. Benteke's opening goal against Southampton was from a Bent assist. 

Stuff a bunch of lightweight players in the middle as narrow as possible and leave the flanks for our opponents

Yeah i don't see that working this season either

• Like 1

After seeing how much he offered Fulham last year I can't see what he has to offer us, in the games I watched he had absolutely no ball control and the 'guaranteed goals' were nowhere to be seen, his finishing was nothing short of terrible towards the end of the season as well.

I think he's good. What do you think ?

He's good if we actually get service into him, if we expect him to play as a lone striker to hold it and bring others into the game, then it's like playing with 10 men. Maybe Jack could provide him that service.

The thing is, Lambert always said that he and the players had no problems, I'm guessing they knew that it wasn't down to him. Doubt they have any qualms with him personally.

What Lambert says and what is actually the case are two different things though. When Hutton spoke about it a few months ago, he sounded pretty bitter and rightly so.

IMO there was a personality clash with him and Bent. Remember Bent had a whinge about losing the captaincy early on and then his place and he strikes me as an Anelka type sulky character. Don't think there's an issue with Hutton, I just don't want him back in contention as he's not very good!

This summer's going well isn't it? With Bent and Hutton you'd have to question their motivation levels to play for us after the way both have been isolated the last 18 months or in Hutton's case two years. I can't imagine either will be sweating blood for this club although I suppose pre season is a good time to judge.

Welcome back Bent.... he should have been on the bench all last season. Tell me he wouldn't have scored 6+ goals and made our life a little easier.

he got 3 at Fulham who had a better attack than us

• Like 1

I'd prefer bent playing rather than kozak.

Darren Bent 3 league goals

Libor Kozak 4 league goals and broke his leg at Christmas

so really?

Yes, because Kozak is a Paul Lambert signing whereas Darren Bent is not.  Thus, Bent > Kozak.  Obviously.

I think the only way us Villa fans can look at this without getting too despondant (dont worry, I feel the same too) - is to think of this as........We have a hungry striker, who used to be good, who will be busting a gut to make an impression during the final year of his contract to earn a pay day at the end of it. Let's just hope he scrapes enough goals to see us through this potentially abysmal season. 

One bonus is that we will have a big target man (Kozak, then Benteke) to play alongside him, as he always has had wherever he's flourished.

Hutton, again, will be busting a gut to make an impression and might be a decent option against some of the opposition.

A couple of things r.e: Bent, though.

a - Benteke is out injured for at least a couple of months at the start of the season(?)

b - Bent has played at Fulham last season, so has at least seen competitive football

c - He's a poacher; doesn't work hard at all but perhaps linking up with, say, Weimann, he might get on the end of a couple of things

d - He's in the last year of his contact.  He'd want to play well to get himself a new club - I think we all know he's "done" here (certainly on those wages)

It's not completely terrible and does give us another option.  I just hope Lambert/the club haven't burnt their bridges with him so he actually still feels like part of the team.

I'd prefer bent playing rather than kozak.

Darren Bent 3 league goals

Libor Kozak 4 league goals and broke his leg at Christmas

so really?

Yes, because Kozak is a Paul Lambert signing whereas Darren Bent is not.  Thus, Bent > Kozak.  Obviously.

but Bent is a Houllier signing who he also didn't like. im confused, who is better than who  :unsure:

Â