Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

5 games in which he received minimal service. 

Ireland and bannan played terribly all season and where then sold. 

Not his fault we gave him a stupid contract though is it. 

Im not saying he is amazing just saying he would of been useful backup - instead of bringing on Jordan Bowery or Grant Holt

Benteke received the same service and scored how many? A useful back-up that costs you 65k a week.

Most of those goals came in the second half of the season when Bent had already been frozen out? We will never know if a different manager could have got more out of Bent. He went to Fulham when there were obvious major problems on and off the pitch and he was not the only poor performer for them. Plus when the Jacko statue went Fulham were doomed (according to Al Fayed).

• 2 weeks later...

Some possible good news!!!

http://metro.co.uk/2014/05/17/newcastle-united-to-hand-aston-villas-darren-bent-premier-league-lifeline-4730872/

Newcastle boss Alan Pardew has set his sights on Aston Villa outcast Darren Bent.

The Magpies chief is desperate to land a striker this summer to replace Loic Remy, who looks set to join Arsenal.

Pardew had hoped to keep Remy, who enjoyed a fine season on Tyneside on-loan from QPR and notched 14 league goals in 24 starts.

But Arsenal’s interest scuppered those plans, with the Frenchman revealing his desire of playing Champions League football.

Pardew has previously tried to sign Bent on two occasions and reckons he can get the best out of the 30-year-old who has been told he can leave Aston Villa by boss Paul Lambert.

The former England striker cost Villa £24m in 2011 and, despite scoring 21 league goals in 54 outings, spent last season out on loan at relegated Fulham.

If anyone makes a serious offer to take Bent off our hands it should be taken!

It would also probably depend on the club sale and what budget was available and the fitness of Kozak and Benteke?

For some reason I think Bent's career is over at Villa - there seems a certain finality about it.

Bent didn't really mention coming back and trying to regain his spot at Villa did he? Only mentioned his disappointing season at Fulham.

I'd take £1m for him. Certainly not much less than £750k. I definitely wouldn't push much lower than £500k, but if someone offered £250k I would be lying if I said I wouldn't consider it. In fact, £100k would be better than a kick in the teeth.... I suppose I'd let him go for free. Just F off will you!?!

He scored some vital goals, especially under Houllier, but arguably we signed him two years too late. Time for Darren to find a new club, but I'm grateful for the goals he scored. I think we'd have dropped into the Championship without his goals in 2011.

Unfortunately, I think we'd have made the Champions League if we'd have signed him in 2009. Typical.

We'd have gotten 4th had we signed Bent not Heskey. Now he's not worth a great deal to the squad.

Looks like he's back in contention after all then...

Paul Lambert has made a U-turn by opening the door to Darren Bent and Alan Hutton being reintegrated into Aston Villa’s first team while confirming that the midfieder Marc Albrighton has been released. The Villa manager, whose future remains in doubt because of the possibility of a takeover, said “everyone is on the same level playing field” when they report for pre-season.

Lambert’s previous position was to freeze out Bent and Hutton in the hope of selling them to reduce the wage bill. It is understood that Randy Lerner, the Villa owner, has encouraged Lambert to utilise both players during the final 12 months of their contracts. “Everybody’s even now, everybody’s level,” Lambert said. “It’s public knowledge what’s happened [in the past] and now everyone is on the same level playing field.”

Bent, Villa’s record signing when he joined from Sunderland in January 2011 for a fee rising to £24m, was loaned out to Fulham last season after being used sparingly by Lambert in the previous campaign. Hutton, who was signed by Alex McLeish in 2012, has not kicked a ball for Villa under Lambert and there was no indication that situation would change. “It will be unlikely he will ever play here, he knows that, but we need to get the [wage] structure down to a level,” Lambert said in February.

The manager is now taking a different view, perhaps mindful that there is no guarantee what transfer deals will go through if the club has not been sold this summer and, as a result, what sort of squad he will have at his disposal going into the new campaign. “The only uncertainty we’ve got, which is the main uncertainty, is how long before [the club’s] sold,” Lambert said.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/20/aston-villa-paul-lambert-darren-bent-u-turn?CMP=twt_gu

Â