Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

5.5 million euros

Really? Good price. Does this mean Lambert can use the money on top of his small and insignificant war chest?

War chest lol lol

I have a cartoonish image in my head of Lerner making off with any transfer money we get once he sells the club with him holding a suitcase with notes sticking outside if it outside of Birmingham Airport. 

Darren Bent could be off. Not sure what to make of it, i kind of liked the idea of him staying with benteke injured and Joe Cole being able to play behind him. Still has some use for us i think.

Can't really blame him for wanting to leave. Not treated the best by lambert. Especially with Benteke injured I thought we would've wanted to have kept a proven premiership goal scorer in the squad

Yeah he treated him really badly when he made him captain.

Fact is Bent didn't perform for two years for us and was on huge money we could ill afford in wages so Lambert shifted him on and he did the square root of naff all at Fulham last season.

Yes he is a proven goal scorer in the PL but he has done very little for 3 years and so there would seem to be very little point paying him huge wages to do the same for another year.

He played no worse than anyone else it's easy to cherry pick from the past to prove an argument but Bent's form never went of the rails completely, it's not as if Weimann has been anymore consistent, there is no excuse ever for losing your place in a squad to jordan Bowery

Cherry pick? What on earth are you on about, the last three seasons is hardly cherry picking.

Bent's form... Take a look at his form last season and try and say it didn't go off completely and find someone to agree with you.

And Weimann isn't on the huge wages Bent is on plus he works for the team. Two big big differences.

And no Bent shouldn't find himself behind Bowery but neither should he find himself behind teenagers making debuts but that's exactly what happened last season.

well we don't know what wages Weimann is on now, probably not as high but still high enough considering that fact he does tit all most of the time.

I'm not saying you're wrong but I think it has just as much to do with injury and not being played as it does with poor form, and I stand by the fact that we've had far worse.

There seems to be an argument (not necessarily yours) that as long as player is crap but isn't paid hollywood wages then that's ok.

If Bent had been so crap why was he made captain? Lambert may have made the wrong call but he compounded the situation by then stripping him of the captaincy and dropping him, killing off what little confidence he did have.

I am not pro Bent, he's very limited - but we tried to make out he was a whole list of things which were kinda of over the top, such as lazy and arrogant. In the prem you now have to be a workhorse striker who is everywhere all at once and scores goals (Rooney the great role model), we know when we signed Bent he wasn't that player, he was a straight up goal poacher. 

My main argument is there is nothing wrong with getting rid of highly paid players who aren't delivering, who aren't worth their wages.

As long as:

a- We sell them and get those wages off the books
b- We replace them with players who can do equal if not better a job in those positions - or at least have potential that can be natured.

Lambert failed to do either. 

Again these are my opinions, doesn't mean i'm right.

Edited by VillanousOne

Probably not as high? Ha I think that it is a fair assumption that Weimann is on nowhere near the wages of Bent. I doubt he is on more than a quarter of the money Bent is on.

We will have to agree to disagree on what Weimann does as this thread isn't about him.

As for this supposed view that you attribute to posters unknown that it's okay for players to be crap as long as they aren't on big money. Well I think that is totally wide of the mark and I don't recall anyone expressing this view. What people do I think say, myself included is that more is expected of players on higher wages rightly or wrongly and those on less are afforded more leeway as a result.

As for making him captain Id say it was to try and get him to give me to be more of a team player but even that didn't work and in the end he lost his place altogether. To blame Lambert for Bent's form or lack of is completely wrong in my view.

And I think he was the things he was accused of unlike you.

As for your conditions on when you would agree with getting rid of Bent. It isn't Lambert's fault nobody wanted to buy Bent, that was due to his wages and poor form. In the end he got. Loan fee and his wages in full off our wage bill.

As for the second I think had he stayed fit Kozak was that player and would have scored more goals last season than Bent.

Them signing deals with us isnt probably their main priority right now though, 5.5m would be good business for us definitely. But finance doesnt mean a lot to fans, if it isnt going to be spent then i dont care whether its 1 pound or 5 million. 

I suppose in terms of business you couldn't really blame lerner if he pocketed it.

Getting Bent's wages off the books might mean we can offer improved deals to Vlaar and Delph, which in my opinion should be priority number 1.

It just might. In which case I want us to sell.

Or the saving could go straight into Lerner's pocket. In which case it doesn't warm me one bit.

Probably not as high? Ha I think that it is a fair assumption that Weimann is on nowhere near the wages of Bent. I doubt he is on more than a quarter of the money Bent is on.

We will have to agree to disagree on what Weimann does as this thread isn't about him.

As for this supposed view that you attribute to posters unknown that it's okay for players to be crap as long as they aren't on big money. Well I think that is totally wide of the mark and I don't recall anyone expressing this view. What people do I think say, myself included is that more is expected of players on higher wages rightly or wrongly and those on less are afforded more leeway as a result.

As for making him captain Id say it was to try and get him to give me to be more of a team player but even that didn't work and in the end he lost his place altogether. To blame Lambert for Bent's form or lack of is completely wrong in my view.

As for your conditions on when you would agree with getting rid of Bent. It isn't Lambert's fault nobody wanted to buy Bent, that was due to his wages and poor form. In the end he got. Loan fee and his wages in full off our wage bill.

As for the second I think had he stayed fit Kozak was that player and would have scored more goals last season than Bent.

Kozak seemed to be intended as a replacement for Benteke if he left (which he seemed to be intent on doing before Spurs pulled the plug), I like Kozak but I don't think from what we've seen he would make a good partnership with Benteke doesn't mean he isn't a good player he's just not a mobile goal poacher like Bent (used to be). But the guy looks like he could be a great player for us if he recovers fully from injury.

Kozak seemed to be intended as a replacement for Benteke if he left (which he seemed to be intent on doing before Spurs pulled the plug), I like Kozak but I don't think from what we've seen he would make a good partnership with Benteke doesn't mean he isn't a good player he's just not a mobile goal poacher like Bent (used to be). But the guy looks like he could be a great player for us if he recovers fully from injury.

He wasn't an replacement for Benteke given he had just signed a new deal, back up maybe.

As for a partnership, I'm not sure that is really relevant. You said Bent should be replaced, I pointed to Kozak as that replacement, given that Benteke didn't play with Bent or at least it didn't work as a partnership I don't see it as being relevant that Kozak may or may not be a good partner to Benteke in the context of your point.

I do though agree in terms of Kozak's potential.

Hopefully this is true. I would have been happy to give Bent another chance here, had he not pretty much wasted last season on loan at Fulham. Hopefully a move abroad can help ressurect his career and be good move for all parties.

I think it has been established that he was back up for Benteke, not a replacement.

I would settle for letting Bent go on a free providing we don't have to pay up the final year of his deal.

Any fee would be a bonus, but I cannot see any truth in this. I would be very surprised if any club would offer us cash for him after the 3 years he has had.

Darren Bent could be off. Not sure what to make of it, i kind of liked the idea of him staying with benteke injured and Joe Cole being able to play behind him. Still has some use for us i think.

Can't really blame him for wanting to leave. Not treated the best by lambert. Especially with Benteke injured I thought we would've wanted to have kept a proven premiership goal scorer in the squad

Fact is Bent didn't perform for two years for us and was on huge money we could ill afford in wages so Lambert shifted him on and he did the square root of naff all at Fulham last season.

Yes he is a proven goal scorer in the PL but he has done very little for 3 years and so there would seem to be very little point paying him huge wages to do the same for another year.

He played no worse than anyone else it's easy to cherry pick from the past to prove an argument but Bent's form never went of the rails completely, it's not as if Weimann has been anymore consistent, there is no excuse ever for losing your place in a squad to jordan Bowery

Cherry pick? What on earth are you on about, the last three seasons is hardly cherry picking.

Bent's form... Take a look at his form last season and try and say it didn't go off completely and find someone to agree with you.

And Weimann isn't on the huge wages Bent is on plus he works for the team. Two big big differences.

And no Bent shouldn't find himself behind Bowery but neither should he find himself behind teenagers making debuts but that's exactly what happened last season.

Weimann works for the team?  Which team is that then?

Weimann works for the team? Which team is that then?

Weimann may not be the most talented player but he puts a shift in every time he plays for us. Never stops running something which cannot be said about Darren Bent.

Weimann works for the team? Which team is that then?

Weimann may not be the most talented player but he puts a shift in every time he plays for us. Never stops running something which cannot be said about Darren Bent.

He used to.

Â