Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

I like Bent. I can see the value of offloading him this summer but if that doesn't happen what's the harm of having him in the squad?

Because he's on the biggest salary and will contribute nothing on the pitch?

But he did offer something under our other managers so the problem therein lies with Lambert not originally adapting the system for a poacher.

He didn't do too much at Fulham but let's blame Lambert.

• Like 1

But Fulham were just a joke last season and hardly any of their players played well. What is true is that we can mark the sudden decline in Bent's career from when Lambert took over. Even McLeish was able to utilise him more effectively.

But Fulham were just a joke last season and hardly any of their players played well. What is true is that we can mark the sudden decline in Bent's career from when Lambert took over. Even McLeish was able to utilise him more effectively.

Of course his career declined when Lambert took over - he went from starting week in week out to hardly playing at all because we got a much better striker.

really? McLeish was the start of Bent lack of touch. He was useless at Fulham and that was nothing to do with Lambert or Villa and all Bent. 3 managers didn't rate him and last one had a 16 and 17 year old ahead of him

Of course his career declined when Lambert took over - he went from starting week in week out to hardly playing at all because we got a much better striker.

And importantly the type of striker (a target-man) that his entire system is dependent on.

really? McLeish was the start of Bent lack of touch.

10 goals in 25 appearences, hardly terrible. Especially considering the distinct lack of goals in McLeish sides.

Edited by Isa

It about the here and now, not what someone did 3 years ago.

That season you hark on about Yakubu scored 17 PL goals, Holt 15 and Dempsey 17.

Would you have any of them here?

No, because they are well past it, just like Bent.

They were all finished at this level years ago, the only difference between all these players is Dempsey is the only one without man boobs.

• Like 2

I don't think anyone is arguing that because of what he did years ago mean he's good now. I think you've created your own argument there.

Someone made a point that he did nothing under McLeish and that's just not true.

• Like 2

It about the here and now, not what someone did 3 years ago.

That season you hark on about Yakubu scored 17 PL goals, Holt 15 and Dempsey 17.

Would you have any of them here?

No, because they are well past it, just like Bent.

They were all finished at this level years ago, the only difference between all these players is Dempsey is the only one without man boobs.

Dempsey would walk into this team over Gabby or Weimann, especially when a bigger forward is out there and tasked to catch all the direct balls we send. Not getting games at Spurs isn't an indicator of ability to start here.

Bent is a goal poacher who doesn't offer anything outside the box. He will score if there's a supply line but we don't have any wingers at the moment to do that so he'll be useless to us.

Well we do have wingers but it's up to Lambert to use them rather than continuing to piss about with Agbonlahor and Weimann.

Who are these wingers of which you refer to?

Grealish, Graham, Bacuna etc.

Well we do have wingers but it's up to Lambert to use them rather than continuing to piss about with Agbonlahor and Weimann.

Who are these wingers of which you refer to?
Grealish, Graham, Bacuna etc.

I forgot about bacuna to be honest but the other 2 are untried kids, they are both talented players but I don't think they can be relied upon at this stage

Bringing Bent back is a must now with our offense woes. Let's hope he catches fire. I think he just might.

And for those complaining about his wages: what an earth does his wage matter in our current situation? We either have him and his wage, or don't have him and his wage. There is no option three, where the money would go elsewhere.

Â