Alan Hutton

Rich_D

14 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I have been quite critical of The Scottish Cafu on this thread but today he was absolutely  triffic. 

Well done Alan. 

I thought the first half was probably his best half of football since he signed for us. 

He was calm in defence, decent going forward and linked up with Elmo well. As other have said, still does the odd barmy thing, but pretty solid today I thought. 

• Like 4

One of his better games , doubt he has won sky man of match awards very often so fair play to him on winning it yesterday . 

Some poor crosses thrown in but at least he had an assist and gave his all .

Id still prefer bree starting ahead of him though.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

He was ok today, still rather have another option though at rb. Lost his man for the goal as well.

It wasn't "his" man IMO. 

People just want to blame Hutton for whatever reason, it seems (not you, just generally). Once again, he was absolutely fine.

I thought that even if it wasn't his man for the goal, he did his standard thing of being sucked into the centre and ball watching without knowing what's going on behind him.

My main beer with Hutton is how he affects the team tactically. He's always too far back and gets space, always giving the midfield man a too easy option, which they always take, ruining every attack by going backwards and out to the wing. He then gets closed down, forcing a long ball and giving it away.

I know it might look like an agenda but I really think he's the main point of weakness in the team both attacking and defending. He's committed but that's about it. I'd have Bree there in a second.

It doesn't matter who's man it was that scored. Hutton was out of position, he should be calling the CB's into position, he has sight of what is happening.

Hos job is stopping someone coming in at the back post.

I'm not blaiming him for the goal, there were various people at fault but he was certainly partly culpable.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

He was fine.

He does the basics of defending pretty well. 

Justified his inclusion yesterday.

I agree with this in the main, however as we saw on many occasions last year he is often the player with the ball for us in the final third and 90% of the time our play breaks down, yeah he got an assist yesterday, but how many should he have had in the past 13 months, given his possesssion in good positions. Credit where it's due but still not good enough for where we want to be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mammoth10 said:

I agree with this in the main, however as we saw on many occasions last year he is often the player with the ball for us in the final third and 90% of the time our play breaks down, yeah he got an assist yesterday, but how many should he have had in the past 13 months, given his possesssion in good positions. Credit where it's due but still not good enough for where we want to be.

I completely agree, and I've said many times before. His attacking game is abysmal. 

It's 2017, your fullbacks need to do more than just defend. 

Hutton isn't good enough long term. But he's ok at this level. 

As soon as RDL is back I want him in the team.

• Like 1

Hutton obviously listens and takes note of what the manager says. The goal came from a driven low ball in. This is ideal for Hogan as he makes those across the front of the defender. Think he'll get quite a few assists like that this year 

11 hours ago, Eastie said:

One of his better games , doubt he has won sky man of match awards very often so fair play to him on winning it yesterday . 

Some poor crosses thrown in but at least he had an assist and gave his all .

Id still prefer bree starting ahead of him though.

Why? 

Hutton has become somewhat of a fan favourite recently, but I hope once De Laet is fit he is given a go. De Laet + Elmo going forward is a lot more encouraging than Hutton. Hutton's assist yesterday was quite nice, but we need to remember that Hutton offensively is pretty bad. That cross is not the norm with Hutton. Bree and De laet are our future. Hutton will be 33 in a few months and we can't keep him around just because he is doing an okay job. 

20 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I completely agree, and I've said many times before. His attacking game is abysmal. 

It's 2017, your fullbacks need to do more than just defend. 

Hutton isn't good enough long term. But he's ok at this level. 

As soon as RDL is back I want him in the team.

I'd rather play Hutton. Not convinced De Laet is any better at all, plus he's coming back from a huge layoff. 

• Like 1

Â