Alan Hutton

Rich_D

Excellent again. 

I'm not *that* surprised, I've always thought he had some ability as well as being a physically dominant player. Obviously riding a crest at the minute, 100% he starts next week if fit. 

I wonder if that's the first time he has played on the wing in a live game?

I really love the bloke. I want everyone who pulls on the Villa shirt to do well, but when they come across so well, clearly work hard and give a shit, then they're the type of person I desperately want to succeed.

Pleased the home support has really warmed to and begun to vocally support him too. It's clearly done wonders for him as he's been one of our better performers over the past month, even more impressive considering we've won a lot of games in that period too.

• Like 1

I remember randomly seeing him in a televised Rangers Champions League match when he tore his opposite number a new one marauding down the wing and thinking he is superb. Spurs signed him shortly afterwards, but he never quite reproduced his Rangers form for them, which is why we ended up with him.

He's been with us whilst we've been in decline, so has obviously been asked to defend more, which he's clearly decent at, given his physicality, but it's also meant he hasn't felt as comfortable venturing forward, which is the main reason why he has also looked woeful at times when asked to attack.

His confidence and ambition are clearly both growing in line with the team's and that in itself is a pleasing barometer of the progress being made.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

I still think he is rubbish.

Admittedly I havnt watched the last few games which by all accounts he's really improved. But having watched him hit the first man with every cross and venturing beyond the half way line following the ball when he should be thinking about the winger for 4/5 years, it's going to take a lot more than a few good games for me to think he's become a good full back at 32.

having said that, your only as good as your last performance so keep it up Alan.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I don't think it's quality that's causing the reaction.

It's strange, he's not gone through some metamorphosis and appeared as a wonderful full back butterfly, he's just Alan Hutton, with a decent attitude and currently a lot of confidence; it's not Hutton that's changed, it's the support in the ground, acceptance of his faults and admiration for his attitude seems to have popped out this big lump of love. I've not really seen anything like it.

8 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

It's strange, he's not gone through some metamorphosis and appeared as a wonderful full back butterfly, he's just Alan Hutton, with a decent attitude and currently a lot of confidence; it's not Hutton that's changed, it's the support in the ground, acceptance of his faults and admiration for his attitude seems to have popped out this big lump of love. I've not really seen anything like it.

People like a trier, even a shit one.

I still hope he leaves the club this summer.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Cult love status.

3 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Me too.

However, he's playing better than he's ever played and is high on confidence so I'm happy to see him in the team.

It slightly annoys me how much the crowd fawn over him though. Not because I have anything against him, but because the crowd show no remorse with any other players. As soon as James Bree made one mistake yesterday the crowd were savagely on his back.

Hutton came on and made an awful pass straight out of play and everyone around me was "Oh that's the right idea though, unlucky"

WHAT?!

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I still hope he leaves the club this summer.

Can't see that happening now he's triggered a new deal. 

Improved in recent games since bree arrived - maybe he needed that competition to push him.

41 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Triers are usually shit by implication because it tends to mean what they're trying isn't coming off. Loads of players put effort in but don't get labelled a trier. It's damning with faint praise :)

I'm going to be fickle and partly because I want people to like me, but I would say that 'Mr Effort' in light of what Bruce has said about the whole team's work rate needing serious improvement since he started, is likely to have had a positive effect on his team mates so maybe it is the case that his effort can compensate for his lack of skill. 

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

As soon as James Bree made one mistake yesterday the crowd were savagely on his back.

Just on this, I didn't hear that at all during the game - Bree seemed to be getting decent support on his home debut.

• Like 2

Â