Alan Hutton

Rich_D

Not sure a few good performances warrant a 3-year contract but if he keeps it up it'll be worth it.

I don't think he has been given a new deal based on a few very good performances. I think he was always good enough to be our first choice right back and I'd imagine Lambert had also been thinking that for some time especially given how poor Lowton was last season.

I honestly don't know whose decision it ultimately was to freeze Hutton out for two years but I have a feeling it wasn't entirely the managers and most certainly wasn't based on Huttons ability. He wasn't great under McLeish but was nowhere near as poor as was made out and no worse than others during that season.

Bottom line in all this though is that what happened in the past is irrelevant now. Hutton for me was a good fullback when we signed him and is a good full back now and is performing right at the top of his game and long may that continue. I am pleased to see we have secured his services for another couple of years and protected the value of a good asset.

Edited by markavfc40

If there is one thing you have to say for Hutton these last few years, he has conducted himself like a true professional.

Having met with Hutton over the summer I can tell you that he bore no grudge with the manager whatsoever. His exact words were that he wanted to play for Villa and hoped that the chairman spent a bit of cash.

Good for him. We're finally seeing what Spuds paid close to £8m for him and long may it continue.

Edited by StanBalaban
  • Like 1

May have already been said, can't be arsed to read back.

Mayhaps this is actually the reason why he was frozen out and the 'financial restrictions' that were referred to, that if he played x amount more games he automatically qualified for a new contract

Not sayin he doesn't deserve it though now too

• Like 1

I'd just like to say, I think it was only I and another poster who didn't throw him under a bus after that dreadful McLeish showing. Was it ForfarVilla? We deserve points for this. I am scoring them for both of us.

I can't remember my exact posts, but I've never thought he was as bad as everyone made out. Defensively he's always been okay, going forward he's always been good, but his only downside was occasionally performing a scissor-kick challenge, promptly slicing an opponent a new one.

Always maintained it was Faulkner behind the bomb squad. His idea of running a club and getting wages down. Thank goodness he is gone. Hutton signing cements that belief. You really think he would have signed a new deal to play under Lambert if he had been the man behind him missing out on 2 years of his career.

HIlarious.

Isn't it?

Hilarious that we all thought he was a load of old crap and was a scape goat for the McLeish era. We hoped he would move to another club, even on a free.

Hilarious that we went and spanked £3mil on a right back from Sheffield United because he was young and the club thought we'd save money on wages overall. That same right back isn't even 2nd choice anymore.

Hilarious that we were leaking goals for 2 years when Hutton was smashing it whenever he played for Scotland, but we left him out anyway out of principle.

Hilarious that he's now come back in and playing a blinder.

Hilarious that we're now pleased he signed another contract.

Hilarious that we're 2nd in the league.

Not wishing to speak for Omarigy, but he may be looking at the whole "Hutton episode" and referring to the club as opposed to Hutton himself.

Yup

I'm glad he's staying, but I do hope he's taken somewhat of a pay cut to do so. It's pretty clear that no other club would be willing to pay his previous wages either, given we offered him for free and nobody showed any interest...so I'd guess he's probably dropped down to a more reasonable level (perhaps from next season onwards).

I'm glad he's staying, but I do hope he's taken somewhat of a pay cut to do so. It's pretty clear that no other club would be willing to pay his previous wages either, given we offered him for free and nobody showed any interest...so I'd guess he's probably dropped down to a more reasonable level (perhaps from next season onwards).

This isn't correct.

He was never available on a free, If he had been he would likely have gone to WBA who wanted him this summer but wanted him for nothing and were happy to match his salary.

I was happy when we signed Hutton because he was really good at Rangers (and I seem to remember that we were in for him but he went to Spurs instead, or just linked or something) but just went on a long streak of badness. He's got his head down and worked his way back into the side, which shows an incredible amount of perseverance and professionalism and I think he'll want to hang on to his position for as long as he can, so will work accordingly. I've got no issue with him getting a new contract seeing how good this new-look defence has been thus far.

Â