Alan Hutton

Rich_D

If it's true I wondered if it was because Keane wanted to take a look at him, which would be worrying as Lambert is meant to be in charge. But more than likely it's something to do with finances.

Hopefully Hutton can get himself a new beginning, somewhere soon.

It makes sense to keep him and have a look at him in preseason.   If he isn't upto it we can try and sell him before September but if it does work out he can challenge with Lowton for RB which will mean Bacuna can be used more as a midfielder than last season and still be a back up option at full back if needed.

Why are we doing this?  I give up.

First, it's a sizeable if I would say but The Mirror has had pretty good track record over the last 6-8 months certainly better than the reputation it has rightly earned on here in recent years.

But if we are there could be a couple of reasons I can think of why we've said no to a deal with WBA, both of which are perfectly reasonable in my view.

1. The offer on the table from WBA wasn't acceptable, either in terms of a fee or percentage of wages they were willing to pay.

2. Due to the circumstances at the club and Lowton's form last season Hutton is now back in contention

I know the second of these seems unlikely given the last two seasons but in the current climate it wouldn't surprise me. Not much would surprise me at the club right now.

Whatever you think of Hutton, if that's true, it's shambolic, and pretty shoddy treatment.  Bomb him out for two years, then block his move.

Aside from not rating him as a footballer I don't think anything of Hutton really, its not his fault McLeish signed him or that he was given a contract beyond his ability and our means.

But a contract is a contract and he has been paid these last two years in line with that, so the club have honoured his contract. 

Given that he is still contracted, regardless of if he has played these last two seasons or not, the club is perfectly entitled to either opt to pick him or to say no to an offer from another club if it doesn't meet their expectations.

I think the club signing players to contracts they can't afford is a shambles, you know that but I don't see anything wrong with either of the two potential reasons for saying no to WBA.

• Like 2

Im pretty sure nobody is going to pay for him, we just want him off the 30-40k a week he's on. If someone is willing to offer 50% of that then it saves us money and we get rid, we haven't used him for 2 years FFS.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if West Brom made a derisory offer.

Our club has signalled in the most obvious way for the past two years that they don't rate Hutton and don't want him anywhere near the first team. Also that they are desperate to get rid of him. 

What would you expect but an offer that sought to exploit the situation?

• Like 3

Perhaps Lambert would've previously wanted to use him but had been told that he couldn't under any circumstances?

Indeed.

The assumption has always been he didn't want to use certain players but perhaps given the need to reduce the wage bill he wasn't able to do so.

No way of knowing either way I guess but seemingly some would rather think its down to Lambert than consider it might be down to our idiotic owner.

I don't see that it matters much whether the policy was driven by Lerner, Lambert, or even Faulkner, it is a policy that has left us in a very weak position re selling Hutton, which some people have been trying to point out for a while.

However, it would put Lambert's constant reassurances about the bomb squad, that he was taking decisions solely for the good of the team, into some kind of different perspective. 

Perhaps Lambert would've previously wanted to use him but had been told that he couldn't under any circumstances?

Indeed.

The assumption has always been he didn't want to use certain players but perhaps given the need to reduce the wage bill he wasn't able to do so.

No way of knowing either way I guess but seemingly some would rather think its down to Lambert than consider it might be down to our idiotic owner.

It's entirely possible, even likely that the decision was down to Lerner.  Wouldn't surprise me at all.  Wiping out a player's value by making it clear he's as welcome as a fart in a lift, then refusing to sell him when a prospective buyer doesn't offer very much.  That has all the hallmarks of classic Lernerism all over it.

• Like 3

I can't imagine it is good for the atmosphere around the dressing room that players who were part of the 'bomb squad' are now back in and around the first team.

Yes they should be professional about it all, but I wouldn't be too pleased about been in the cold for 2 seasons then blocking my move somewhere else, regardless of what job I'm in!

From the stand point of having Hutton as back up/ challenging lowton I am more than happy with this. I don't particularly rate Hutton as a footballer but at this moment in time there isn't a lot else for us to choose from for competition.

Â