Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

Out for six weeks apparently.

Shame it isn't six months.

Nah, I'm happy. Hope it keeps repeating like this. Minor injury, six weeks out, couple of sub appearances for 'fitness building', minor injury, rinse and repeat. That way he's always nearly back, but never actually fit. More frustrating that way. 

• Like 2

Out for six weeks apparently.

Shame it isn't six months.

Nah, I'm happy. Hope it keeps repeating like this. Minor injury, six weeks out, couple of sub appearances for 'fitness building', minor injury, rinse and repeat. That way he's always nearly back, but never actually fit. More frustrating that way. 

Career death by a thousand cuts. I like it.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I was very much looking forward to the game in the summer but it's looking a real damp squib if Man. City are top and we're possibly bottom. At least when Barry came back we were relatively equal with Man. City back then, it's been a long six years.

He certainly deserves the abuse but from a neutral perspective it's going to look sad and small time when it could easily be the biggest gulf between two teams in the same league e.g. 1st v 20th.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I was very much looking forward to the game in the summer but it's looking a real damp squib if Man. City are top and we're possibly bottom. At least when Barry came back we were relatively equal with Man. City back then, it's been a long six years.

He certainly deserves the abuse but from a neutral perspective it's going to look sad and small time when it could easily be the biggest gulf between two teams in the same league e.g. 1st v 20th.

I agree.

"Booooo how dare yu leave our sack of shit bottom of the league squad to play champions league and win titles... BOOOOOOOOOO"

Is how it will look from most people's perspectives. 

• Like 2

I think city fans are letting themselves down with this, Gail platt has come out asking us not to boo him, they've come out as the better fan brigade saying they won't boo Richards, lescott and Sinclair

I'd like to think if I was a city fan I'd still consider delph a bit of dick for what he did

I think rather than blindly try and defend the stigma that these players joining them are all mercenaries they should be looking at the likes of delph and saying **** bell you're tarnishing our club you owe us one

Asked if Delph could expect a difficult welcome, Pellegrini said: “No, I hope he will not receive that. He played a lot of years for Aston Villa and Aston Villa wanted to sell him also. He continued being a player that gave a lot of his career to Aston Villa and I don’t think the fans will forget all those things.”

Pelligrini on booing Delph

I think city fans are letting themselves down with this, Gail platt has come out asking us not to boo him, they've come out as the better fan brigade saying they won't boo Richards, lescott and Sinclair

I'd like to think if I was a city fan I'd still consider delph a bit of dick for what he did

I think rather than blindly try and defend the stigma that these players joining them are all mercenaries they should be looking at the likes of delph and saying **** bell you're tarnishing our club you owe us one

Good god, those players lol. Sinclair must be one of the most forgettable players to play football in recent years, I bet Man. City fans forgot he was there half the time. Richards loved City in fairness and just left on a free and Lescott again just played out his time at City and left amicably. He annoyed Everton fans a fair bit though.

Trying to think of an equivalent player Man. City fans have booed for any Blue Moon spy looking on here, maybe Distin? Said he'd sign a new deal at City, run his contract down instead and then went off to Pompey, think he's been booed on his return to Eastlands.

I've always said I never had a problem with D*lph leaving for City for football reasons. Of course with the state we're in it's a no brainer. It was more the changing his mind 500 times and messing with people's emotions and minds that did me, will never forget that week. He made Sherwood look a mug at the time aswell not that Tim needed much encouragement there.

The word removed deserves every boo he **** gets, but the reality is history is written by the winners so of course we will look to the rest of the world like bitter small-time losers - doesn't matter though, we should boo him anyway on principle. 

• Like 1

I agree.

"Booooo how dare yu leave our sack of shit bottom of the league squad to play champions league and win titles... BOOOOOOOOOO"

Most* football fans sympathise with our condemnation of Delph. He's the poster boy for lying, disloyal, modern footballers.

*from what I've seen on the internets

• Like 2

I agree.

Most* football fans sympathise with our condemnation of Delph. He's the poster boy for lying, disloyal, modern footballers.

*from what I've seen on the internets

Everyone laughed at him at the time, but people stop caring sooner or later. At that point, we end up looking bitter. 

What Fabian Delph did at Villa was simply farcical

It's a fan piece but it's on the Guardian

The reaction Fabian Delph will get if he does play against us on Sunday is likely to be harsh. We are talking about a reception reminiscent of the returns of Dwight Yorke and Steve Hodge. In fact Hodge will likely feel relieved to know he is no longer the most hated man at Villa Park.

Hodge is remembered for being more concerned with engineering a move away than helping Villa to battle relegation during the 1986-87 season. He seemed to think fighting towards the bottom of the table was below him. He jumped ship halfway through the season to join Tottenham and the Villa fans never forgave him. It is not that Villa fans have a problem with players leaving the club but it is about doing it the right way.

Manuel Pellegrini: I hope Fabian Delph won’t be booed on return to Aston Villa
 Read more
When James Milner, for example, comes back to Villa Park he gets a good welcome. He served the club well and when he felt the need to move on he did it with a minimum of fuss.

Delph angered the fans because of his U-turn. If he had done things differently then the reaction would be very different from what he is likely to experience on Sunday. If he had just come out and said to the fans: “Look I feel that moving on will further my career” then I believe Villa fans would accepted this reason.

But what Delph did was simply farcical, saying things like: “I love the club and I can’t wait to be captain next season”. The club showed a lot of loyalty to Delph – people forget he was at Villa for six seasons and shone in only two of them. He was badly injured, sent out on loan and for a long time he wasn’t not really considered part of the first-team squad.

Delph improved a lot at Villa and much of that was down to the faith the club showed in him. The way he acted in mucking the fans around didn’t reflect the effort of the club and the support had given him.

I’m not sure if we have fully replaced Delph yet but we have brought in players who I think are at least as good as he was when he first arrived at the club if not better. We have Jordan Veretout and Idrissa Gueye, who both look like good talents. Hopefully they can kick on under the new manager and Delph will just become a distant memory.

Dave Woodhall is the editor of the Aston Villa fanzine Heroes and Villains

Edited by Stevo985

Maybe not start but he'll play. Wouldn't completely rule a start out either given his history with us. Deirdre Barlow might expect a performance from him off the back of it.

Â