Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

3 minutes ago, ChrisVillan said: That's not what I'm angry about and I don't think it's what most people with a brain are angry about.

Absolutely.

Nobody is angry that he left. If he'd kept his mouth shut and gone to Man City then it would actually be a good thing. He could have left for free but instead he got us £8 million.

People are angry because he lied about it.

Coerced by the club?

6 hours ago, darrenm said: Coerced by the club?

Coerced to say "I'm not leaving, i love being captain, I can't wait for next season" days before he left?

I doubt it.

Why else would there be such a u turn? The club were obviously using him as propaganda and overegged it slightly. Then when man city came in and the club agreed to sell, he looked silly. It takes 2 to tango.

2 hours ago, darrenm said:

Why else would there be such a u turn? The club were obviously using him as propaganda and overegged it slightly. Then when man city came in and the club agreed to sell, he looked silly. It takes 2 to tango.

He had a release clause in his contract, that's not the same as the club 'agreeing to sell'. 

Face it, he acted like a bell-piece. That's on him. 

I would be more believing of the club asking or "coercing" Delph into making the "loyalty/love my club" statements if they had happened just once. The club obviously did ask him to say some nice things, give the fans a lift. But I firmly believe that all those lovely sentiments were indeed his own. 

He most likely did mean it all at the time, the first statement anyway, but soon realised the chance he was potentially giving up on and found himself backed into a corner. 

The official club statement when he left was very matter of fact, no well wishes if I recall correctly (unlike the Benteke statement for his clause related departure). Which to me says the club was pissed off as it was thought he would stay. 

Don't get me wrong, the club was at fault for letting his contract running that low in the first place, while giving the likes of Gabby & Lambert new deals at the start of the season. Why he wasn't given a new deal a year before, I've got no idea.

Edited by Shropshire Lad

2 hours ago, blandy said:

Benteke left in that period, I think.

Correct.

Also, Delph's OH just had a baby too and she in particular wanted to go back 'up North' and probably helped him change his mind.

Both of those presumably took about nine months to come to fruition. It's actually pretty difficult to decide which would have been least surprising.

Delph should have kept his mouth shut. He knew he had a clause, no issue with that in the grand scheme of things. He said some stuff in January and then left, no issue with that either really.

But what he did in the summer was low. I don't doubt it was a difficult thing for him but he handled it appallingly. If he's willing to say things like that just because the club wanted him to, when there was obviously still some indecision, he's got bigger problems than just being a snake.

I think it's more likely that he said something he shouldn't have said before he'd really decided what to do. That's on him and him alone.  

On 11/23/2015, 9:43:44, ChrisVillan said:
On 11/23/2015, 9:43:44, ChrisVillan said:

That's not what I'm angry about and I don't think it's what most people with a brain are angry about.

That's not what I'm angry about and I don't think it's what most people with a brain are angry about.

You obviously missed the point I was making, please dont respond to my posts in future if your going to just take personal digs. As a mod you should know better

On 11/23/2015, 9:49:54, Stevo985 said:

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

You obviously missed the point I was making, please dont respond to my posts in future if your going to just take personal digs. As a mod you should know better

Firstly, I genuinely apologise that the last bit came across as a personal dig. I can see that it did and that wasn't the intention - I didn't mean it as a shot at you just a wider frustration with the view you expressed. I'm more irritated that it exists in the media and subsequently amongst so many supporters away from VT. Villa and otherwise.

I'm sure you can understand that I wouldn't be apologising to you if I didn't mean it sincerely.

But I'm not a mod and I'll respond to any post I want to respond to.

7 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Who else asked for a ridiculously low release clause in their deal?

As opposed to letting his contract run down and us getting nothing?

I know what he did was poorly judged at best, I'm just trying to introduce a slight bit of critical thinking into the Delph debate.

The issue was never the club he joined, it's a no brainer move which Barry and Milner both did when we were much better.

It's more the endless changing of minds and all those statements when he should've just shut up. That messes with people's minds and emotions. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
Â