Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

Whoever did the soundtrack to this clip needs a slap round the face with a wet trout

Agreed!

Looks like he's working on his explosiveness! That's got to worry opponents! His run past two players and shot yesterday was the highlight of the game for me, still he needs those shot to be going in, if that starts happening then we will have a world class player on our hands!

• Like 2

Got to be honest, we only have ourselves to blame.

Yep, we've had a couple of years to sort this out and apparently haven't bothered, unless of course it has been Delph's intention to see out his contract and leave all this time...

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

Got to be honest, we only have ourselves to blame.

Absolutely. A player who's been playing well week in week out in the league for over a year now, just made his full debut for England and has around 6 months left on his deal.

It's laughable to think other premier league clubs aren't interested and putting feelers out to his agent.

Why pay 10m for someone like Rodwell when you can get him on a free although I don't see there much being in the Arsenal link as they already have 100 midfielders and he isn't really a holding midfielder.

Could see someone like Everton coming in for him.

He has done really well to come back from the injuries he had. Now all that hard work is paying off. He strikes me as someone who gets on with it without whinging. Crack on and then things will happen. Lambert even commented on how he was wasn't lacking in confidence. First the call-up then the move to a club with more money than us. I won't say bigger 'cause a lot of them aren't but money talks.

I'll be gutted if he leaves as I think he is a big player for us, but if you had the chance to move to a top 6 side you would.

Someone needs to explain to Lerner that splashing out a little extra to put pen to paper for an asset like Delph might help him in the future for selling the club.  I'm not sure he gets the point that the value is being squandered by letting the assets out for next to nothing.

Really hope we hear something soon that he's been signed up, horrible feeling of anxiety when you know our star men could rip the heart out of what's a building / promising team at any moment.

Someone needs to explain to Lerner that splashing out a little extra to put pen to paper for an asset like Delph might help him in the future for selling the club.  I'm not sure he gets the point that the value is being squandered by letting the assets out for next to nothing.

Really hope we hear something soon that he's been signed up, horrible feeling of anxiety when you know our star men could rip the heart out of what's a building / promising team at any moment.

That requires the player to want to stay though.

Delph and Vlaar (and to some extent Grealish) are in for a massive pay rise if they move clubs. From say Everton's POV, they can absorb the £10-12M or so it would cost to buy a player  of Delph's quality by adding it to his wages. He can earn £100k per week and still only cost them £5.2M per season, which is equivalent to buying him for 10M and paying £50k/week for 4 years - which would be a bargain. 

Obviously, that's also true for us, as we'll have to replace him. However, 100k/week is less attractive from us as it would be from a  team pushing champions league. Therefore, we'd have to offer a premium over and above that figure to keep him. Then he'd be on £120k/week and would screw us over when we sat down to discuss contracts with Benteke, Vlaar, Cleverley, Guzan etc.

It's sad, but true.

Edited by Djemba_Villan

That requires the player to want to stay though.

Delph and Vlaar (and to some extent Grealish) are in for a massive pay rise if they move clubs. From say Everton's POV, they can absorb the £10-12M or so it would cost to buy a player  of Delph's quality by adding it to his wages. He can earn £100k per week and still only cost them £5.2M per season, which is equivalent to buying him for 10M and paying £50k/week for 4 years - which would be a bargain. 

Obviously, that's also true for us, as we'll have to replace him. However, 100k/week is less attractive from us as it would be from a  team pushing champions league. Therefore, we'd have to offer a premium over and above that figure to keep him.

It's sad, but true.

That's what we should do. Why buy him as an 18-19 year old for loads of money, Then sell him for free when he finally starts playing well. Don't make sense.

I'd be really disappointed in Delph if he didn't sign a new deal. He should sign a deal with a minimum fee release clause.

I'm in two minds, I would be disappointed with him because yes we saw him through his worst years and contributed to him being the player he is today.

But at the same time, we've allowed this situation to come about that the contract is running out - and not *seemingly* shown an interest to lock him down whilst he has been getting better exponentially.

Half of it's some loyalty you'd hope for, the other half is just plain our own fault.  Well that's how it seems to me, of course I am not privvy to what has already been going on and whether AVFC have already tried to sign a new deal...I assume we would have heard about it already.

• Like 1

You don't know what we have and haven't 'alllowed to happen'.

Maybe we asked to sit down and discus a contract months ago but he refused, if the whole Helenius thing is anything to go by then 2+2 rarely equals 4 at Villa

I think as much was caveated in the latter part of my post, maybe it's missing from your screen.

Â