Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

Interesting that when Gabby pulled out just before kick off that Westwood was named captain and not Delph. I am sure last season when Ron and Gabby were out that Delph was next in line. I wonder if it has anything to do with him not having yet signed a new deal as he seems ideal captain material to me.

As for his performance tonight I thought he again did well especially when he really drove forward and went through the gears on a number of occasions. He did one or two unneeded fancy flicks that didn't come off that put city in on a couple of occasions though.

Was he? I don't remember him being captain last season although I don't know who was when Vlaar and Gabby were out.

Westwood was captain at Crewe IIRC so naming him captain with those two out made sense to me.

The quickness of his his feet to change direction/turn is amazing. Like the whole team at the moment, struggling with the important pass in the final 3rd.

Some players that reach the level Delph is currently, you can see are playing great but are at their limit. Delph looks like he can push on a lot further. Fingers crossed he get more clinical in the final 3rd and he stays with us.

• Like 1

Felt he was poor today.

I thought he was one of the better players today for us. A few determined runs forward and quite a lot of covering/tracking back runs (one that dispossessed Milner (?) at the edge of our box). He did cock up a couple of passes, though.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

Felt he was poor today.

I thought he was one of the better players today for us. A few determined runs forward and quite a lot of covering/tracking back runs (one that dispossessed Milner (?) at the edge of our box). He did cock up a couple of passes, though.

I think I just expect so much, anything less and it shows.

Felt he was poor today.

I think I just expect so much, anything less and it shows.

Fair enough.

Ok just seen the highlights on Motd, why did delph turn his back on toure for the goal? Didn't even look like toure was going to shoot when he turned.

Yes, it was poor decision-making, and it led to the goal. Didn't a mistake of his lead to a goal in the Chelsea game as well? I thought he was okay at best today, and that moment really did cost us. 

Ok just seen the highlights on Motd, why did delph turn his back on toure for the goal? Didn't even look like toure was going to shoot when he turned.

Yes, it was poor decision-making, and it led to the goal. Didn't a mistake of his lead to a goal in the Chelsea game as well? I thought he was okay at best today, and that moment really did cost us.

Yes, it did. A little lazy at poor moments.

I don't expect him to sign tbh.For me if he was going to sign, he would have done it by now.

If i'm being honest, i don't think he is much better than us anyway, i can't see him getting in a top 6 team, as someone said, he gets away from players well, but then doesn't use it well.For him to get better he needs to play week in week out, he won't do that at many teams higher in the league than us imho.

• Like 1

For me he runs into dead ends and loses the ball, takes one touch to many and plays 50/50 balls to our players, he also does this in areas that hurt us.

He needs to stay with us to develop into a player who uses his undoubted on the ball skills, if he goes to a top 6 team his ability to lose the ball in dangerous areas will kill his career.

I think he will leave us and end up never achieving his full potential.

Edited by tinker

Â