Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

Yeah and then he argued with the ref and got himself booked. If I was Weimann I'd have slapped him after the match.

I saw him get booked and thought WTF he barely said two words to the ref. Weimann probably would have missed his goal if Delph hadn't given Weimann a telling off. Getting booked for kicking the ball away is just stupid. Plus Weimann was throwing his hands in the air everytime he lost the ball (usually because he was being fouled). Weimann at that point was wound up and distracted and Delph helped the refocus Weimann there.

I thought he had a decent game. I don't know what it is about him though, he clearly has the attributes to be a good CM but it seems that he's scared to try things. He looks completely devoid of confidence. He shows once or twice every game that he can beat a player and bring the ball forward, but every time he does that he ends up shirking away from a forward pass and either passes backwards or gets caught in possession. Maybe if we buy a DM this window he'd have more freedom to play a more attacking game.

I probably should know the answer to this question but what position is Delph supposed to play? By that I mean what position was he playing when we signed him.

I recall he was used as a DM by MON and it was said he was being played out of position. Is he an attacking box to box midefielder or what?

I'm no fan of Delph as from what I have seen we massively overpaid for an average player but to cut him some slack surely he should be judged on performance is his best position. I would support the idea, resources permitting, of a loan to a Championship side to prove himself.

Edited by Harry

I think he was a box to box midfielder and looks best when he is making driving runs with the ball at his feet.

He seems to be a terrible passer and can't tackle so he is more of a liability in midfield for us.

Edited by LondonLax

I remember him playing AM for us against Man U in his first season and he was brilliant. Gone downhill since then. He shows flashes of being a good player but not consistent. Think we can get better.

A player who has never fulfilled his potential.

I understand that the injuries may have robbed a bit of pace, but he's clumsy on the ball and his tackling is disgraceful. He offers no goal threat, and his positional sense is poor.

Yet another waste of money, we're like a f***ing charity for football clubs!

I think it was against brighton in the cup a few years back where i thought he looked brilliant.

His range of passing was superb and i think he scored a decent goal as well.

He really has looked poor though for the majority of his time here. I also wonder if injuries and poor performances have really effected his confidence because at leeds he would be doing pieces of skill and taking defenders on. We really don't see him attempt that when he plays for us at the momemt.

Maybe slightly better than Bannan today, but still no where near good enough. Kills a lot of attacking moves by taking too long on the ball when we need him to shift it forwards quickly. Neither him or Bannan support the attack and neither get within 10 yards of the opposition box.

• Like 1

Maybe slightly better than Bannan today, but still no where near good enough. Kills a lot of attacking moves by taking too long on the ball when we need him to shift it forwards quickly. Neither him or Bannan support the attack and neither get within 10 yards of the opposition box.

I think after how we have had teams cut us open through the middle every attack for the last 4 games, Lambert probably told out midfield to side in front of our back four. Think we will see of that and the front four attacking.

I thought he was our best player today, especially in the first half. With two wide players, the two cm are going to have to sit. However, he was strong in the tackle, accurate with his passing and used a quick burst of pace effectively to get away from players.

In the second half he did slow down promising moves a few times by dwelling on the ball or choosing a more conservative pass. With a bit more self confidence he could be the player we hoped for, but time is running out. Sadly, one good game is often followed by a few poor ones from him, but I think it is too early to give up on him yet.

Both don't need to sit all game when we can't get out of our half, who is going to link the play further up the field if one of them doesn't push up? We didn't put any pressure on Ipswich in the 1st half and against better teams we will be punished. We need to be a little braver going forward, we don't keep clean sheets anyway.

Â