Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

When I retire I would like to spend more time watching live entertainment.  Theatre, Comedy, Music.  Keep most evenings and weekends busy but it's going to cost shit loads obviously so pension pot will need to be big. 

I've got a decent pension pot at work for my age currently, and i've 24% going in every month. Yet the prediction for my retirement age (defaults to 65) is a pittance. I don't understand it. I'm assuming its based on current annuity rates, which are shit, but who buys an annuity now? It's all about drawdown isn't it? I've worked out my own projections based on 4% growth and it looks fine, even at 55 instead of 65. 

11 minutes ago, Xela said:

I've got a decent pension pot at work for my age currently, and i've 24% going in every month. Yet the prediction for my retirement age (defaults to 65) is a pittance. I don't understand it. I'm assuming its based on current annuity rates, which are shit, but who buys an annuity now? It's all about drawdown isn't it? I've worked out my own projections based on 4% growth and it looks fine, even at 55 instead of 65. 

You're right, they tend to be based on annuities, but the ones I've looked at have also been based on low to medium growth and medium to high inflation, and medium to high fees. They give a deliberately pessimistic view with the goal of not lulling people into a false sense of security - though I wonder how many people have been discouraged from saving at all as it seems to make such little difference looking at some of these.

20 minutes ago, Xela said:

Same here. Every year for the last 5 or 6 years the estimated annual payout is getting less and less. It’s quite concerning, especially when my older colleagues have their final salary pensions to look forward to (66% of final salary for life). They closed that 6 months before I joined.

The way I look at it is we are all part of the cog. If I can retire early then great, if not then so be it. I don’t particularly like or hate my job, but it keeps me very active and in shape, physically and mentally . Unless the wife won big  on the lottery then early retirement is probably out of the window. Early retirement to me is finishing work at 60. My goal is to be able to go part time if I wanted at to, at 60. It is what it is though. Sometimes I get board when I’m off work too much , but that’s going off how I felt first lockdown where we couldn’t really do much. Money isn’t everything, mind. Health is wealth as they say and also being happy. Health/Happiness > money . If you’ve got all 3 then you ain’t doing too bad are you. 

• Like 1

On 02/09/2021 at 22:54, Brumerican said:

I've been here before and always will be . 

That's the secret .

This part of your post reminded me of this song. 

I am the world that hides the universal secret of all time
Destruction of the empty spaces is my one and only crime
I've lived a thousand times
I found out what it means to be believed
The thoughts and images
The unborn child who never was conceived
When little worlds collide 
I'm trapped inside my embryonic cell
And flashing memories
Are cast into the never ending well
The name that scorns the face 
The child that never sees the cause of man
The deathly darkness that
Belies the face of those who never ran
You got belive it, I'm talking to you
Well I know its hard for you to know the reason why
And I know you'll understand when it's time to die
Don't believe the life you have will be the only one
You have to let your body sleep to let your soul live on
I want you to listen, I'm trying to get throught 
Love has given life to you and now its your concern
Unseen eye of inner life will make your soul return
Still I look but not to touch 
The seeds of life are sown
Curtain of the future falls
The secret stays unknown
Just remember love is life
And hate is living death
Treat your life for what its worth 
And live for every breath
Looking back I've lived and learned
But now I'm wondering 
Here I wait and only guess
What this next life will bring
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Davkaus said:

You're right, they tend to be based on annuities, but the ones I've looked at have also been based on low to medium growth and medium to high inflation, and medium to high fees. They give a deliberately pessimistic view with the goal of not lulling people into a false sense of security - though I wonder how many people have been discouraged from saving at all as it seems to make such little difference looking at some of these.

Its crazy. We have a pension 'modeller' program at work - you can plug in extra factors and growth rates etc. Basically, with a low growth rate your pension is £10k a year, medium growth is £30k a year and high growth its £75k a year. Waste of time! 

20 hours ago, Genie said:

Same here. Every year for the last 5 or 6 years the estimated annual payout is getting less and less. It’s quite concerning, especially when my older colleagues have their final salary pensions to look forward to (66% of final salary for life). They closed that 6 months before I joined.

I missed out on the final salary scheme by a couple of years as well. 

On 31/08/2021 at 17:38, mottaloo said:

Please forgive this lil bit of self indulgence but I got fully discharged from QE hospital this morning after 5 years of observation (scans, blood tests, x rays and consultations) after being diagnosed with testicular cancer in 2016.....at a cost of losing one crown jewel.

No history of the big C in my family, so boys...take my advice and make sure you have a daily fumble down there and check your plums (who am I kidding !? 🤣)

I’m late to see this but just wanted to say nice one! 

And don’t worry about losing a plum, Hitler only had one and he did quite well for himself ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 02/09/2021 at 22:13, Xela said:

I feel that. I'm working hard on the wheel so hopefully can come off it in 10 years and take early retirement. 

I retired for a year in my 30's , when i went to live in Hungary :) .. used to wake up go to language class , go for a run , afternoon power nap  , confuse tourists by giving them directions in perfect English when they were lost and asked me for help   , head to Margaret Island to watch girls sunbathing in G-strings  , then get the tram and  meet Mrs H from work and go out somewhere for the evening  , maybe it was because I was in a  foreign country but I never got bored 

when we had the covid lock down I was going stir crazy after about 2 days  , all i did was stay up all night watching Netflix go to bed around 4 am and wake up 3 in the afternoon and go for a walk  .. thankfully I was only lockdown for a month or so before i was back at work 

I always thought I'd retire the day I turned 55 ,  ... but i dunno , I like my job , my client would be kinda stuffed without me ( short term at least) and I hate the idea of letting them down  and mentally I'm not sure I'd cope without the day to day challenges my job brings  ... but ask me again when I hit 55 and I actually have access to my pension fund and maybe i'll give a different answer :) 

• Like 1

Just now, Big Salad said:

Just got home from dropping my niece off for her freshman year of college at UNC-Wilmington.  Bittersweet for me as on one hand I am very proud of her for going off to college and pursuing her dreams(Wants to be a marine biologist) but also sad as I will miss her tremendously as she is a very important part of my life. Of course, will call or text her is much as feasible, but also understand she needs room to grow and spread her wings if you will.

I have faith that she will be just fine.🙂

She will be fine and will have a great time whilst furthering her studies.  She will also be in full knowledge that she has an awesome Uncle to call upon and will no doubt will miss you too. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Big Salad said:

Just got home from dropping my niece off for her freshman year of college at UNC-Wilmington.  Bittersweet for me as on one hand I am very proud of her for going off to college and pursuing her dreams(Wants to be a marine biologist) but also sad as I will miss her tremendously as she is a very important part of my life. Of course, will call or text her is much as feasible, but also understand she needs room to grow and spread her wings if you will.

I have faith that she will be just fine.🙂

You can call upon her knowledge of great fishes, such as a whale. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Â