Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

I found Crinoids (and Trilobites for that matter), not big ones but lots of smaller ones, not on a beach though....

I wouldn't advise going to this location though, it's like a jungle out there....

Wrens Nest in Dudley

Bloody dangerous, not sure if the school is still there as it was years ago but there's us on a school field trip and there's the caged black country animals throwing rocks down on us from the school at the top

Wren's Nest is weird. 

Before I went last year, I did a bit of research on it, all the pictures looked nice and rural. 

Then you put the post code in your sat nav and my face quickly dropped when I saw the surrounding... "vistas" :lol:  

It's not right! 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Is that a piece you have?  

Can get all sorts from Wren's Nest that's Silurian in age (450-420 million year ago).

I've been a few times, but never yet managed to find the famous Dudley Bug! 

image.jpeg.13d2c1c7cbeb7f48986efed634fed8dc.jpeg

Again, you can't even take a hammer onto that site, which is a shame, because I've suspected some loose ones have something in them! 

No, that’s not mine, that belongs to the Royal Geological Society.

I leave mine outside, anything truly exceptional I find I generally give to my brother who’s a bit more serious about it all. I don’t even keep the rough / 3D ones, I only keep the rounded black pebbles with smooth crinoid shapes.

The rocks where I sit and contemplate life are pretty much entirely crinoid. At first it just looks like rock, then you get your eye in and realise the entire peninsular is completely made up of fossil plant material. Not a fossil here and a fossil there, just entirely fossil. It’s quite epic.

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

No, that’s not mine, that belongs to the Royal Geological Society.

I leave mine outside, anything truly exceptional I find I generally give to my brother who’s a bit more serious about it all. I don’t even keep the rough / 3D ones, I only keep the rounded black pebbles with smooth crinoid shapes.

The rocks where I sit and contemplate life are pretty much entirely crinoid. At first it just looks like rock, then you get your eye in and realise the entire peninsular is completely made up of fossil plant material. Not a fossil here and a fossil there, just entirely fossil. It’s quite epic.

Sounds wonderful! Is that a specific beach around Barry, or is it quite common along that coastline (ala somerset)? 

13 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Sounds wonderful! Is that a specific beach around Barry, or is it quite common along that coastline (ala somerset)? 

Its basically the same rock layer separated by the Bristol Channel (iirc)

EDIT

The-Phanerozoic-record-of-Great-Britain-

• Like 1

Just now, lapal_fan said:

There must be an equivalent piece of geology the other side, I’d have thought.

We’ve got a few different rock types here, we really are lucky. Sedimentary rock that has captured dinosaur footprints in a few places along the coast locally, plus this outcrop that is crinoid infested. I mean, they’re iddy biddy little things so I presume most people standing there don’t even see them and realise. But there is a particular place known locally as ‘the point’ and it’s crinoids. Then just a matter of meters away the rock is quite different.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I mean, it’s no competition for the Jurassic Coast. Not by a long way. But it’s nice to have it a walk away from the house. Just walk through the park and on to the pebbles. Less than 2 miles from the Kiss Me Kwik fairground chaos.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bickster said:

Its basically the same rock layer separated by the Bristol Channel 

Except the other side is the new nuclear reactor being put together by the French and the Chinese, so I’d expect that to just be one **** huge diamond in about 20 years time as the earth begins to fold in on itself.

A naturally windy part of the world, with a sunny microclimate and one of the largest and strongest tidal ranges on the planet. But ignoring the sun and the wind and the tides, we could just spend billions upon billions on a nuclear reactor that will generate power for 40 years and then have a lethal half life for 250,000 years..

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Except the other side is the new nuclear reactor being put together by the French and the Chinese, so I’d expect that to just be one **** huge diamond in about 20 years time as the earth begins to fold in on itself.

A naturally windy part of the world, with a sunny microclimate and one of the largest and strongest tidal ranges on the planet. But ignoring the sun and the wind and the tides, we could just spend billions upon billions on a nuclear reactor that will generate power for 40 years and then have a lethal half life for 250,000 years..

Are they not building another power station, right next to Hinkley Point? 

Just now, lapal_fan said:

Are they not building another power station, right next to Hinkley Point? 

They are indeed. The unlimited free energy from the first two is coming to an end, so they thought it would be best all round if they got the Chinese to knock up a third one.

The price of the energy it produces, according to the Government’s own Audit Office, will be at least 8 times more expensive than the renewable alternatives.

Spectacularly dangerous, dangerous for a quarter of a million years, 8 times more expensive than the alternative, we push on.

Insane.

• Like 2

On 24/08/2021 at 16:50, Ingram85 said:

The Seaside. Love it.

Went to Kilve beach yesterday just round the bend from Hinckley Point. Walked from Kilve to St Audries Bay to see the cliff top waterfall. Was a lovely walk (8 miles all in there and back so paying for it today, feel like I’m about to fall apart) and the waterfall was amazing. Surprised it’s not made more of as it’s really awesome. 

North Somerset is a bit of a hidden gem imo especially once you get beyond and out of Bridgwater. The stretch from Lilstock all the way to County Gate is really picturesque and the good thing is most of it’s never packed or busy as most people drive past it all en route to Devon and Cornwall or stay near Weston/Brean/Burnham. Guess the brown sea isn’t to everyone’s liking but I think it’s a beautiful part of the country. Think Dunster is my favourite part.

Off to Porlock/Porlock Weir tomorrow or Thursday. Then a short drive to Clevedon (proper little hidden gem) on Friday. No more long walks though. 

We always used to stop off at Clevedon on the way home from Cornwall instead of stopping at a motorway service station.  Have a nice pub meal overlooking the sea and take a stroll down the pier and tell the kids to look back at the town and pretend it was actually Balamory. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Isn’t it illegal to remove stones from the beach?

As if anyone is going to find out. Its not like he's stupid enough to post pictures of it on The Internet........ Oh wait. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sidcow said:

As if anyone is going to find out. Its not like he's stupid enough to post pictures of it on The Internet........ Oh wait. 

I’m awaiting a substantial cheque from Crimestoppers.

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

There is a case you'll find on t'interwebs of someone from the West Mids who was ordered by a judge to return to Cornwall and deposit the pebbles back on the beach.

Returning home after an amazing 4 days in Gibraltar.  Everything about it was just perfect - even if we had to get tested upon landing, before takeoff and then again within 2 days of landing back in the UK.  

I want to go back.  Now. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, trekka said:

Returning home after an amazing 4 days in Gibraltar.  Everything about it was just perfect - even if we had to get tested upon landing, before takeoff and then again within 2 days of landing back in the UK.  

I want to go back.  Now. 

It's an odd but really nice place. I only had a day there but I'd like to go back.

• Like 1

Seeing how popular this forum is, that an opposition fan (minutes after his team scrape a draw) is on here instead of his own hovel (yes dirty Leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeds)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â