Ciaran Clark

TheSufferingVilla

1 hour ago, Fairy In Boots said:

A rumour I've heard is Newcastle want him, this is heard from a friend who reckons he knows something. Could be gibberish could be legit we'll see. However I'd sell him for 5m just not to a promotion rival.

Well i suppose that depends entirely on how you rate him. I'd love nothing more than to see a crap defender like Clark at the heart of the Newcastle defence next season. 

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, av1 said:

Well i suppose that depends entirely on how you rate him. I'd love nothing more than to see a crap defender like Clark at the heart of the Newcastle defence next season. 

He's really not that crap at all.  You're not replacing him with a much better defender at the same price (if it is for the £5m being thrown around) - with the possible exception of someone from abroad.

He's just not that bad a defender - plus he's got plenty of experience at a relatively young age and is versatile, which is handy in the Championship where games stack up.  To get rid of him, given all the other crap we need to clear out, would be madness IMO.

• Like 2

@bobzy I'm sure i read in the transfer thread that the most expensive defender in the championship was £4/5m, i think it might have been posted by @Stevo985 ?  So I'm sure we could replace him with that sort of money, he certainly wouldn't be the best CB in that league, far from it. 

On 01/06/2016 at 23:02, Stevo985 said:

Again, to put things in perspective*:

The most expensive goalkeeper ever bought in the Championship is Alex Smithies. £1.5m
Only he and Kasper Schmeichel have ever commanded sums of more than £1m for a goalkeeper.

£5m would be a championship record for any defender. Bruno Manga is currently the most expensive at £4.7m.
Only 6 defenders have ever cost more than £3m.

Prices go up as you move forward, but again only 3 midfielders have ever cost more than £5m at that level. Bradley Johnson at just over £6m is the highest.

Then strikers are where the money is spent. McCormack, Gray and Rhodes (twice) commanding the highest fees as touched upon previously.

*Figures from TransferMarkt.co.uk so if they're wrong, blame them

Here we are. So the current transfer record for a defender is £4.7m. With that in mind £5m for Clark is a very decent bid, and I'm sure he could be adequately replaced for £5m. 

39 minutes ago, av1 said:

Here we are. So the current transfer record for a defender is £4.7m. With that in mind £5m for Clark is a very decent bid, and I'm sure he could be adequately replaced for £5m. 

Thats a stupid analogy.  If the defender is any good they go for a lot more from championship clubs to bigger teams.  Samba for example went for twice that when QPR got relegated.  Replacing a 26 year old CB with over 160 prem league apperances with most likely a journey man CB in the championship is nuts.  Imo Clark is by miles the best CB we have and you will see that come the euros under a decent manager who sets teams up structurally right.

Do you not think its a coincidence that he is one of the only few Villa players who is being linked to a host of clubs?

Edited by HeyAnty
  • Like 3

I don't think its stupid at all, it clearly shows that £5m buys you a lot in the Championship. Clark has been kept out of the team by Lescott, Richards, and prior to last season Nathan Baker, for a reason.

5 hours ago, av1 said:

I don't think its stupid at all, it clearly shows that £5m buys you a lot in the Championship. Clark has been kept out of the team by Lescott, Richards, and prior to last season Nathan Baker, for a reason.

Prior to last season he was one of our players of the season.  Dont know were you get the Nathan Baker idea at.

• Like 1

5mill might buy alot in the championship, but i hope they arent planning on staying here for more than a year, so keeping those players who can do a job in the PL should be important. 

Clark would be one of the few players id keep from last year. Getting someone worse in just to have to replace them again in a year seems  a bit pointless

• Like 2

Personally I'd rather we keep him - he already has bags of experience and for £5m could we seriously buy better in the Championship?

Whenever he's played, he's been committed (unlike many of his fellow professionals) and having come through the youth ranks, he has an affinity to the club. It's been good to hear he's a positive influence in the dressing room and with the younger players too.

I'd make him Captain for next season for those reasons.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

I like Clark. Good player, vocal on the pitch, always gives his all, a born leader and loves to lead. It would be a major mistake to let him go.

He's neither of these things. At best he's an average centre half and I have never seen him successfully demonstrate leadership skills on the pitch. 

At the end of the day, he's going to be good enough for the Championship, which is fine, but he has proven that he is not a good Premier League centre half at all. If a bid of £5m come in then that would be great business for us.

10 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

He's neither of these things. At best he's an average centre half and I have never seen him successfully demonstrate leadership skills on the pitch

At the end of the day, he's going to be good enough for the Championship, which is fine, but he has proven that he is not a good Premier League centre half at all. If a bid of £5m come in then that would be great business for us.

He played well for us when he was made captain and has been given praise by some of the younger players (Toner?) for guiding them - unlike "proper leaders" like Lescott and Gabby.

I don't know who people are expecting us to sign for £5m that will be such a huge improvement on him.  Not everyone in our squad is utterly terrible.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bobzy said:

He played well for us when he was made captain and has been given praise by some of the younger players (Toner?) for guiding them - unlike "proper leaders" like Lescott and Gabby.

I don't know who people are expecting us to sign for £5m that will be such a huge improvement on him.  Not everyone in our squad is utterly terrible.

Not saying he's terrible, but I'm not about to overhype someone who has been poor for us more often than he has been good. He is a the definition of a bang average player. He his not integral for anything and if it's the case that we can cash in and sign someone at least as effective for less, then it would be a great move.

2 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Not saying he's terrible, but I'm not about to overhype someone who has been poor for us more often than he has been good. He is a the definition of a bang average player. He his not integral for anything and if it's the case that we can cash in and sign someone at least as effective for less, then it would be a great move.

There's no overhype.  No-one is calling him class (someone said he's a "good player").  What people have said is that he's one of the few players in our team that isn't a priority to be shipped out.  That he'd make good captain material and offers value to the squad so why would we sell him?

Plenty of other players (i.e: the rest of the defence) to be sold first.  On that basis, I wouldn't take £5m for Clark.

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

There's no overhype.  No-one is calling him class (someone said he's a "good player").  What people have said is that he's one of the few players in our team that isn't a priority to be shipped out.  That he'd make good captain material and offers value to the squad so why would we sell him?

Plenty of other players (i.e: the rest of the defence) to be sold first.  On that basis, I wouldn't take £5m for Clark.

I just disagree that he's captain material. I just don't see it, plus he lacks pace and is easily bullied. I don't rate him at all. I think he offers minimum value to the squad so would hence sell him if £5m came in.

With the current squad (and that's what we've got to work with) who else is Captain material Dr Pangloss?

Richards came in last season and was instantly made Captain, that (along with him in general) didn't work.

The club/team needs someone who knows the club, accepts the responsibility and will give their all on the pitch.

Out of the current crop of players, I would only consider Clark, Hutton and Westwood with the right attitude (I'm not saying they're 'excellent' players but they have the right attitude).

Edited by theboyangel
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Out of the current crop of players, I would only consider Clark, Hutton and Westwood with the right attitude (I'm not saying they're 'excellent' players but they have the right attitude).

I quite like Hutton. He seems to get a lot of abuse and hate, which is odd considering how much worse in both ability and attitude the majority of the squad is.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

With the current squad (and that's what we've got to work with) who else is Captain material Dr Pangloss?

Richards came in last season and was instantly made Captain, that (along with him in general) didn't work.

The club/team needs someone who knows the club, accepts the responsibility and will give their all on the pitch.

It really doesn't matter at all since the current squad is going to change dramatically. We will most likely be signing a captain, because well, that's exactly what we need to do.

Â