Ciaran Clark

TheSufferingVilla

Westwood wins the ball, passes to teammate, receives it again, tries to get ball forward but pass is overhit so bounces off Sanchez and lands at toivonens feet, plays it wide to lens, Clark shows him wide, lens cuts back, shoots first time and deflects off Richards.

Put that down to bad luck, not shit defending

Edited by MrSmirch

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Westwood wins the ball, passes to teammate, receives it again, tries to get ball forward but pass is overhit so bounces off Sanchez and lands at toivonens feet, plays it wide to lens, Clark shows him wide, lens cuts back, shoots first time and deflects off Richards.

Put that down to bad luck, not shit defending

not quite right, Westwood played it into Bacuna who was beaten by strength and the ball fell out wide where Westwood outmuscled their winger to win it back, then played it forward to Gestede but hit too directly and the defender got a foot in to clear, the ball fell awkwardly between Toivonen and Sanchez where they both knocked each other over and the ball fell kindly to Toivonen. That sort of passage of play can go down as bad luck but what happened next was the issue, Clark had the option to stand off and show Lens wide or at least commit to a tackle and take ball with player. Unfortunately he did neither, he got tight and missed the ball giving Lens an easy cut inside.

Completely disregarding any preconceptions about Clark, it was a glaring error. If you watch again, had he simply slowed him down and forced him out wide we had 4 players covering the edge of the area, they had nothing. I'd think that Lescott might not be so naive in a similar situation.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 2

Completely disregarding any preconceptions about Clark, it was a glaring error. If you watch again, had he simply slowed him down and forced him out wide we had 4 players covering the edge of the area, they had nothing. I'd think that Lescott might not be so naive in a similar situation.

Spot on. I'm a fan of Clark but that was schoolboy. 

Sure the final shot deflected off Richards....

... but the shot should never have been an option.

Not if he had split Fletcher from the ball. Great defenders can do it.

Well unfortunately we don't have any great defenders at the club,and haven't had for a while. 

While it was a combination of poor play from Westwood, Gestede and Sanchez that led to the situation, the goal is solely on Clark. Midfield will lose possession and kickstart counter attacks, it's not that unusual. What is unusual is a premier league defender who has a man running at him and allowing him to go center with a ridiculously unnecessary tackle, instead of pushing him sideways and lowering his shooting angle. I imagine Tim would be furious. Clark should have been taught this at age 12 or something. 

• Like 1

I think we can all agree generally he is an ok defender but there is always a mistake in him that more often than not costs us a goal. That's 2 this season that has cost us potential 3 points. I'm

not saying he is the only culprit but he is a usual suspect. 3/4 choice defender at best.

• Like 1

That's Clark all over, looks fine but prone to a clanger. That idiotic challenge on the touch line to pick up his obligatory yellow sticks in my mind as well; 118 premier league appearances for us now but still the inconsistency and school-boy errors of an inexperienced defender, we need better for a starting CB.

• Like 1

Clark had always been prone to a clanger; a moment of madness.  Last season he seemed to have removed that from his game.  The hope was experience had moved him on to the next level of being dependable rather than an up and coming centre back.  This season however, it seems in the early days that he has reverted to the Clark of the '13/14 season.  He'll need to cop on quickly because he's probably about to have some serious competition for his place.

Poor defending from Clark, but he was left incredibly exposed.

Sanchez is getting away with murder here. Incredibly rash challenge in the centre of the park, leaving his centre backs completely exposed. If he was going for that ball, he had to win it or foul. Letting the opposition in on your back four like that when you're supposed to be a DM is criminal.

Poor defending from Clark, but he was left incredibly exposed.

Sanchez is getting away with murder here. Incredibly rash challenge in the centre of the park, leaving his centre backs completely exposed. If he was going for that ball, he had to win it or foul. Letting the opposition in on your back four like that when you're supposed to be a DM is criminal.

you are right Sanchez, did make an error....but when it comes to losing possession ....they all do.

Its not always particularly fair to burden one player with the blame for an incident that is very much a team game.

The point about leaving Centre backs exposed, I am less sure about......Centre backs are central to a Team keeping its shape, so its one position                                           walkabout is not a good thing.

A good Centre back will be composed and make time for himself and NOT dive in, in a reckless fashion......Clark leaves himself exposed through his                                     inability to keep his position and subsequently help keep the shape of the team.....watch Lescott when he plays.

Edited by TRO

Oh I agree about Clark's recklessness. But you never ever want your centre back exposed like that, and I'm really not sure about all those who think Lescott is gonna magically fix things. He went to hell at city the last couple of years and wasn't exactly lighting it up at WBA either. I'd much prefer if he was cover for our first choice CB pairing.

and wasn't exactly lighting it up at WBA either

I have seen lot's of people say this about Lescott but he was their player of the season last year, I'm baffled as to why so many people say this? Was everyone else watching WBA secretly last season or something

It's a little known fact that 4% of VT is actually made up of baggies fans as they werent able to secure the domain rights to TescoTalk to have a site of their own.

So they all come on here and talk to each other in a secret code that nobody else can understand.

• Like 2

It's a little known fact that 4% of VT is actually made up of baggies fans as they werent able to secure the domain rights to TescoTalk to have a site of their own.

So they all come on here and talk to each other in a secret code that nobody else can understand.

That explains a lot of the posts I have seen on VT.

I would seriously consider dropping Clark on Sunday, unless we go with a back three.  He's a siege mentality defender, a blinkered deer ramming himself against a drifting nighttime car.  He does not inspire confidence, nor maintain shape or discipline at the back.  Too often he looks like a wide-eyed boy trying to impress his demanding, disciplinarian dad on the touchline.  Not a good look.

Â