Ciaran Clark

TheSufferingVilla

Unfortunately his mistake cost us the win.

Problem is, defensive mistake usually cost us points and therefore we need better players in.

Technically we could say it was Richards slide and deflection that cost us the points. If he had been in position and covering Clark, he wouldn't have had to slide.

No chance. It was completely Clarks fault.

In your opinion. In a coaching opinion, you look for your defenders to cover one another. Richards didn't do that, so some blame lies there. You also have to look at Sanchez (who also had a good game), and how easily he was brushed off the ball. More than one player made their biggest mistake of the game leading to the goal, but lets throw it onto one player.

It so easy to blame one player once the ball goes into the net, but you have to look at everyone else who should have prevented it.

I'm not saying Clark shouldn't have done better, or be replaced by Lescott, if we get him. But to throw all the blame onto him, and not leave some for others, shows a lack of insight.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Problem is, defensive mistake usually cost us points and therefore we need better players in.

Technically we could say it was Richards slide and deflection that cost us the points. If he had been in position and covering Clark, he wouldn't have had to slide.

In your opinion. In a coaching opinion, you look for your defenders to cover one another. Richards didn't do that, so some blame lies there. You also have to look at Sanchez (who also had a good game), and how easily he was brushed off the ball. More than one player made their biggest mistake of the game leading to the goal, but lets throw it onto one player.

It so easy to blame one player once the ball goes into the net, but you have to look at everyone else who should have prevented it.

I'm not saying Clark shouldn't have done better, or be replaced by Lescott, if we get him. But to throw all the blame onto him, and not leave some for others, shows a lack of insight.

Condescending bollocks. In my opinion.

Condescending bollocks. In my opinion.

And you're entitled to it. Have a good day.

you do realise richards was in perfect position covering his man? It was weak by sanchez in the middle, but absolutely pathetic defending by clark.

If so, why was he sliding to prevent it, just like in the Man U game? If he had been perfect position he would have been in front of Lens like Clark was. Sadly, Clark's poor attempt helped no one.

If you watch it again, you will see he started outside the forward, then cut inside of him. He then tracks Fletcher instead over covering Clark. He doesn't move towards the ball until Clark is beat. He should come to the center of the goal and split the two, he didn't until it was too late.

you do realise richards was in perfect position covering his man? It was weak by sanchez in the middle, but absolutely pathetic defending by clark.

Exactly how I saw it, the fact Richards even managed to get anything on the ball showed he was positioned fine. Yes Sanchez put Clark in the situation, I even mentioned this in the Sanchez thread, although he may have been fouled. But it's still a fairly bread and butter defensive situation for Clark who then lets his man cut inside past him and shoot.

So Richards should be making decisions based on assuming Clark is going to be easily beat? What a load of rubbish. If Clark isn't easily beat then there's not an issue, It was poor from Clark.

Yes, would be the answer to your question. Fletcher wasn't the danger. It's a fine balance, but covering space and a free player is something quality players need to deal with.

In hindsight Fletcher wasn't the danger but don't see how you can say that at the time, Clark should have dealt with it better and if Richards leaves a free man in the box and the ball gets to him we'd all be hammering him for it.

It's the little things with Clark really, he's no longer a car crash for 90 minutes but little things like not being strong enough against Dann and letting Lens get past him too easily are costing us goals and hence he'll be replaced for Leicester.

It was nothing to do with not being strong enough the mistakes came before that.

In hindsight Fletcher wasn't the danger but don't see how you can say that at the time, Clark should have dealt with it better and if Richards leaves a free man in the box and the ball gets to him we'd all be hammering him for it.

i agree, Clark should have dealt with it, but in my opinion Richards, should have split the ball and Fletcher, and then transitioned with the ball.

i agree, Clark should have dealt with it, but in my opinion Richards, should have split the ball and Fletcher, and then transitioned with the ball.

There is no way anyone else was culpable other than Clark. Again.

I think it may be quite some time until he starts another PL game for us.

• Like 1

They was no one else to blame but Clark? No one else made a mistake?  :D

That maybe the case if we sign Lescott, but if we don't, he could very well be starting the next game.

They was no one else to blame but Clark? No one else made a mistake? :D

That maybe the case if we sign Lescott, but if we don't, he could very well be starting the next game.

I think it's perfectly obvious What context that comment was made.

You can't justify Clark's mistake by blaming other people.

Richards did nothing wrong, he was tracking his man into the box, as has been said, if he leaves fletcher lens would have had a simple pass for a tap in(and we'd have slaughtered him for it)

The reason Clark is getting harsh stick is because he's made a poor attempt at an all or nothing challenge on the edge of the box, when he didn't need to. If he'd have stood him up or showed him out wide and bought a second or two he had support tracking back to help deal with it.

It was a piss poor bit of decision making, in that situation you have to make your man beat you.

Edit: this doesn't make him a bad player by default, but he does need to improve his decision making quickly if he wants to keep his spot because it is costing us points.

Edited by jjaacckk91

You can't justify Clark's mistake by blaming other people.

Richards did nothing wrong, he was tracking his man into the box, as has been said, if he leaves fletcher lens would have had a simple pass for a tap in(and we'd have slaughtered him for it)

The reason Clark is getting harsh stick is because he's made a poor attempt at an all or nothing challenge on the edge of the box, when he didn't need to. If he'd have stood him up or showed him out wide and bought a second or two he had support tracking back to help deal with it.

It was a piss poor bit of decision making, in that situation you have to make your man beat you.

Edit: this doesn't make him a bad player by default, but he does need to improve his decision making quickly if he wants to keep his spot because it is costing us points.

Not if he had split Fletcher from the ball. Great defenders can do it.

Â