Ciaran Clark

TheSufferingVilla

i have my doubts about Clark as a centre back im afraid. no pace, gets turned very easily, physically weak and can't seem to jump more than an inch off the floor when going up for aerial challenges. he's a decent ball player though (monday's debacle aside).

I definitely think he needs to be played next to a Laursen or Hangeland type of CB who will challenge for and win everything in the air, atleast until he grows up a bit and gets stronger. But his strengths seem to be that he reads the game pretty well, can put in a tackle and he seems well suited to play in the pass it out of the back system we are trying to adapt to.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone think he might do a decent job at left-back? He is not the fastest but neither is he the tallest for a centre-half, but he uses the ball pretty well. He would be an extra body in the box for set pieces, like Cuellar was last year and Mellberg was in his seasons at RB.

Great shout

I've mentioned this too. Has to be worth a try surely.

I don't know, he's good opn the deck but lacks pace and dynamism that a lot of FB's have. Then again, Staunton was good so maybe lol.

I think his position will be CB, as he gets stronger he'll get better. He should get better in the air with more strength and the only thing he'll then lack is pace.

I doubt he would be much less dynamic than Warnock.

• 4 weeks later...

The lad was quality today. yeah he got skinned a few times but who wouldn't playing their first senior game at left back against both Anelka and Malouda?

Like I said in another thread earlier. Warnock would never have been in the position to get that block in that led to our penalty and there is no way whatsoever he would have been far post to score the equaliser at the end! i can certainly forgive Clark being skinned a few times when he plays like that.

The lad was quality today. yeah he got skinned a few times but who wouldn't playing their first senior game at left back against both Anelka and Malouda?

Like I said in another thread earlier. Warnock would never have been in the position to get that block in that led to our penalty and there is no way whatsoever he would have been far post to score the equaliser at the end! i can certainly forgive Clark being skinned a few times when he plays like that.

I can't, in the second half alone 3 chances came from him being in terrible positions, yes he scored but that doesn't change what was a pretty poor performance. He's not a left back but that much is obvious.

I can't, in the second half alone 3 chances came from him being in terrible positions, yes he scored but that doesn't change what was a pretty poor performance. He's not a left back but that much is obvious.

I agree. When we were under the cosh, we looked most exposed at left back. BUT it will only be of benefit for Clark to experience other positions as he is a versatile player anyway. He's still rough around the edges, but showing signs of being a top CB/DM for the future. We probably can't afford to play him at LB too often while we are still in the dogfight at the bottom, but we're not exactly spoilt for choice at the moment.

Glad to see GH say he is a 'good footballer' after the game...I always thought Clark would end up being another Cahill for us.

boy has this kid got potential or what. he can score goals, his postioon play is good and always gives his best. i thought he did well at left back today against one of the best teams in the league

blessing that warnock didnt play. good on you clark kent!

a good game but lets not get carried away. We still let in 3. Will be interesting to see Warnock back infront of a more settled and experienced midfield. Weve seen players like Dunne come back from poor form to put in good performances. Why shouldnt Warnock. Would love to see him playing how he was when he first joined, back then he was the best left back ive ever seen at villa.

Back on topic, good game from Clark, unsure where his best position will be

really like him too, but he was poor today at left back.

he's got a knack for scoring which is terrific, and I think GH likes him so much he tries to use him when he can as he's got more experienced centre halves mind, hope this doesn't back fire. I suspect he'll be passed around positions until the seasons end filling in where necessary.

Â