Ciaran Clark

TheSufferingVilla

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ciarán Clark will have to wait until next year to make his Republic of Ireland debut after injury ruled the young defender out of Wednesday’s friendly against Norway. Clark, who was only called into the squad on Friday, will stay with Aston Villa to have treatment on a calf injury.

The 21-year-old was added to Giovanni Trapattoni’s panel after Fifa indicated they would have the relevant paperwork processed in time for Wednesday’s match. But Clark, who is quickly establishing himself as a first team regular at Villa Park, picked up an injury ahead of yesterday’s clash with Manchester United.

With Ireland not in action again until March, when they meet Macedonia in the Euro 2012 qualifiers, Clark won’t win his first cap this side of Christmas. Richard Dunne, so instrumental in Clark’s decision to declare for Ireland, will also miss the visit of Egil Olsen’s side to Dublin.

Dunne played all 90 minutes of Villa’s 2-2 draw with United yesterday but suffered a recurrence of the knee injury that kept him out of the matches with Wolves and Blackburn. In what is essentially a meaningless friendly, the defender won’t be risked at the Aviva Stadium.

Hull’s Kevin Kilbane picked up a back injury during his side’s win over Championship struggles Preston on Friday night and has withdrawn from the squad while Seán St Ledger also suffered an injury in that match but will travel to Dublin to be assessed by the Irish medical team.

St Ledger was at fault for Hull’s second goal as the Tigers won 2-0 but played through the pain barrier with a knee injury he collected in the sixth minute of the contest. “Ledge was in a bit of pain at half-time and had an injection,” his manager Darren Ferguson revealed after the match.

Robbie Keane, Paul McShane and Caleb Folan were all ruled out last week but Trapattoni is happy with the players he has available and will not bring in any new faces.

http://tinyurl.com/3a4qooz

As for Ciaran Clark, it's up to the lad and whatever he decided good luck to him. I was surprised to see both his parents are Irish (father Scottish born

No question then he's a Jock and my e-mail has been sent off to the SFA notifying them of this, we need as many good players as we can get

Yep. Would be good to add to the list that stands currently at 0.

Wee Barry????

• 2 weeks later...

there was another chance around the 67th mark for him to score.. hit the side netting though.

A cross by downing in the 65th minute, ash couldn't get his head to it.

Bannan should play a quick one two with Ireland when he was making the run with irelands first touch.

Chances were there, still havent seen the second goal which i will do now (going through the whole match)

My worry is he is too slow to be a CB

Did ok today but Arsenals slick pass and move just left him chasing shadows as it did for mos of our team

I like his calm and ability on the ball and he does love a tackle as well ...just a case now of what role do we develop him for (see Gareth Barry as an example )

I didn't think he was that good either. Gald he got the goals and the first is a beauty, and good mentality from him, but he weren't good at all. He struggled to impact on the game as Arsenal just bypassed him with ease. Thats not good for someone in a holding role.

I'm not sure this role is where his future lies.

To be fair we were bypassed through the wings, not through the centre, our full backs are the ones in dire need of dropping, which we can't do as we don't have the cover for it.

From my point of view we got bypassed all over the pitch.

Theres no shame in being outclassed. There is in being that limp though. And Clark was part of that, so I can't say he was that good. I'm glad of the goals but ultimately, his performance was roughly in line with the rest, nowhere near good enough.

To be fair we were bypassed through the wings, not through the centre, our full backs are the ones in dire need of dropping, which we can't do as we don't have the cover for it.

Bannan and Clark were schooled today. Clark, as Chindie said, was chasing shadows, he didn't know what to do with himself at times. Not slating him or anything, it's not his position.

Â