Ciaran Clark

TheSufferingVilla

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone think he might do a decent job at left-back? He is not the fastest but neither is he the tallest for a centre-half, but he uses the ball pretty well. He would be an extra body in the box for set pieces, like Cuellar was last year and Mellberg was in his seasons at RB.

Anyone think he might do a decent job at left-back? He is not the fastest but neither is he the tallest for a centre-half, but he uses the ball pretty well. He would be an extra body in the box for set pieces, like Cuellar was last year and Mellberg was in his seasons at RB.

Great shout

hes defo not a midfield player, hes not got the engine or the sharpness........ but is good on the ball - whereas hogg has all the energy but no ability - can we create a machine to morph them into one player !!??

This is the thing I don't understand. The lad is contracted to us for another 3 years. We are holding the all the cards regarding interest from other clubs. There is NO need for us to offer him another contract 1 1/2 months after offering him an improved one. Villa_insider speaks bullshit most of the time (IMO).

There's every need!

If he's enjoying his football here (despite us not winning) and would be happy to sign, we should always look to extend a contract of someone we want to keep here!

If we just left it and thought "Oh, Ciaran will still be happy in 12 months time, we'll offer him a contract next year" then we'd all be kicking up a fuss if he then rejected a contract because he wasn't getting as many first team opportunities/ was tapped up from somewhere/ if the team were losing when we had a full squad etc etc.

Great shout

I've mentioned this too. Has to be worth a try surely.

Great shout

Yeah I thought that as well. Couldn't be any worse at the minute.

Yeah Warnock needs dropping. And needs to be chained to a radiator in a dank, dark backroom of Bodymoor Heath with only a hacksaw and a tape recorder for company until he sorts himself out.

Good player. Needs to improve his heading though.

He seems to lack the strength to compete with the stronger forwards and Cbs. This isn't surprising for a 21 yr old and i'm sure over the next couple of years he'll toughen up. What is concerning is why he is often marking the main danger men in set pieces, against Fulham he was marking Hangeland against liverpool it was Skertel.

i have my doubts about Clark as a centre back im afraid. no pace, gets turned very easily, physically weak and can't seem to jump more than an inch off the floor when going up for aerial challenges. he's a decent ball player though (monday's debacle aside).

ican't seem to jump more than an inch off the floor when going up for aerial challenges.

I don't think he quite realizes yet how aggressive one can and often must play against certain opposition. As mentioned, recently, he's been tasked with marking the likes of Skrtel and Hangeland, who are both 6'4"+ tanks. Handling players like that is already going to be tough for him (they should be Collins' responsibility, as he's our tallest defender), but he needs to learn to throw everything he's got into them, he's probably not going to have anything called against him when battling guys that big and physical, and if he doesn't, they'll just run him over as we've already seen.

Great shout

I've mentioned this too. Has to be worth a try surely.

I don't know, he's good opn the deck but lacks pace and dynamism that a lot of FB's have. Then again, Staunton was good so maybe lol.

I think his position will be CB, as he gets stronger he'll get better. He should get better in the air with more strength and the only thing he'll then lack is pace.

Staunton was electric at full back, nothing like Clarke would be.

Not saying Clarke wouldn't be decent there, but he wouldn't be in the Staunton mould, more the Hermann Hreidarsson :lol:

I wouldn't say Stauton was dynamic, but I see what you mean about Hreidarsson :)

Â