The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

2 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

Vast improvement in his work rate and defensive efforts.  Would like to see him be a bit more aggressive in attack - talking players on.   He has the ability.

Agreed. There were a few times today particularly at the first half where you would have wanted him to drive at players and commit them, perhaps draw a foul. 

I kind of get the feeling he is trying not to do it, to be more of a team player and release the ball and other players more which is something he did need to do.

Ultimately I guess its about balance, he has gone too far the other way but it will balance out I'm sure he is definitely playing better.

• Like 2

Thought he was excellent. The number of times he showed for the ball but it went sideways was frustrating. He is the spark posters are saying we need (Morrison), the defenders need to alter their thinking so that he is the first option to pass to unless there's a reason not to. The more he is on the ball the better. (Also stops all the silly back passes to Gollini).

• Like 1

Very good start to the season so far, so i don't want to be to critical, but how can a professional footballer be so bad a shooting? Its no wonder he is so hesitant. 

Extra sessions needed i think lad. 

Edited by av1

9 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Agreed. There were a few times today particularly at the first half where you would have wanted him to drive at players and commit them, perhaps draw a foul. 

I kind of get the feeling he is trying not to do it, to be more of a team player and release the ball and other players more which is something he did need to do.

Ultimately I guess its about balance, he has gone too far the other way but it will balance out I'm sure he is definitely playing better.

Spot on. 

He's growing up which is a really good sign for us. Relegation could be the making of him.

13 minutes ago, DK82 said:

Spot on. 

He's growing up which is a really good sign for us. Relegation could be the making of him.

Yeah, it's a good point. I think this massive wake up call so early in his career could be the best thing for him. 

He's been very good the last few games. If we can add a couple more attacking options we should get even more from him. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, av1 said:

Very good start to the season so far, so i don't want to be to critical, but how can a professional footballer be so bad a shooting? Its no wonder he is so hesitant. 

Extra sessions needed i think lad. 

I agree with this - I have a noticed it a few times.   Even warming up against Rotherham (I think it was) he kept scuffing shots and missing the goal from close range. Think he also had a chance in that game that he fluffed.  Like you say, more deliberate practice should sought him out.

Surely he should be staying behind after training and practicising his shooting e.g. learning to actually put his laces through it.

Sterling is very similar aswell regarding his finishing.

Still he's backing up his words in pre season which is excellent. Much more dedicated and professional so far.

• Like 2

I've seen Grealish dribble the ball and then cleanly hit a long pass that isn't scuffed so I don't know why he doesn't treat the shot as if he's hitting a 40 yard pass in to the net. Am I over simplifying it?

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Sterling is very similar aswell regarding his finishing.

Pretty interesting that you say that, ,maybe its just my opinion but a lot of our english players are like that in terms of ability, Oxlade,Walcott,Wilshere they don't really add that bit extra to their game to stand out. 

Hopefully Grealish is the opposite and is working hard behind the scenes

He really is not a winger - he would be far more effective in the middle running the game.

He comes far too deep to pick up the ball for a winger and more than 50% of the time Westwood etc turn and switch the play for some stupid reason, leaving Jack standing there in the centre circle wondering what the ****.

He's the type of player than needs to be on the ball every time we pick up possession to stay involved in the game, not just when the ball makes it out to Aly and he decides to play it forward (once or twice a half).

• Like 1

Â