The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

I'll add my voice to this cycle of rehashing previously posted comments and opinions.

Jack has bags of potential.  (I'm actually not sure anyone is disputing that.)  My concern is that he looks silky smooth but rarely drives the ball into dangerous places.  Rarely sees and hits that incisive ball that opens up the defense.  Of all the things he can do, the one I'm not seeing, is the ability to unlock a defense with anything resembling the frequency his apparent skill should permit.

Some seasoned head (RDM? Clarke? Petrov?) needs to remind him that the game is not about looking classy, it's about getting the ball into the other team's net, or unlocking the defense for a teammate to do the same.  Gliding past 11 opponents to place a back pass into the midfield is only gaining admirers.  Not wins.

His goal and assist ratios per minute, I'm quite sure, support my evaluation.  But, if you've read this for long, you've hear my opinion on Jack before, so.... carry on.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

I'll add my voice to this cycle of rehashing previously posted comments and opinions.

Jack has bags of potential.  (I'm actually not sure anyone is disputing that.)  My concern is that he looks silky smooth but rarely drives the ball into dangerous places.  Rarely sees and hits that incisive ball that opens up the defense.  Of all the things he can do, the one I'm not seeing, is the ability to unlock a defense with anything resembling the frequency his apparent skill should permit.

Some seasoned head (RDM? Clarke? Petrov?) needs to remind him that the game is not about looking classy, it's about getting the ball into the other team's net, or unlocking the defense for a teammate to do the same.  Gliding past 11 opponents to place a back pass into the midfield is only gaining admirers.  Not wins.

His goal and assist ratios per minute, I'm quite sure, support my evaluation.  But, if you've read this for long, you've hear my opinion on Jack before, so.... carry on.

I agree with this. I don't think he needs "reminding" that football is about scoring goals, I'm sure he knows that. He just needs some decent coaching in order to unlock that potential. 

Somebody keeps likening him to Lee Hendrie. I agree that he has the same level of natural talent, perhaps more so. Fine with me. 

8 hours ago, Richard said:

He has had one decent game for us when it looked like he could be a top player.  He is Lee Hendrie mark 2

Lee Hendrie had a great career for us in the top flight. Over 300 games.and many to a good standard.

I like Jack and if he has a career like Hendrie then I don't think I'll complain too much 

A definite starter for me. Ability is there but he's not an 'impact' player off the bench. He'll be better settled in the team. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

Jacks not the only player, most of our players don't want the ball in the dangerous areas of the pitch, they appear to be scared to lose possession to the extent they look for a simple pass rather than a decisive one. 

On ‎8‎.‎8‎.‎2016 at 20:27, One For The Road said:

Totally agree. I'm not even sure he has a game to "up". He had a few good moments under Sherwood, Liverpool at Wembley being the main one, but other than that I think he is terribly overrated. If that stat of 19 straight losses is correct then that's incredible. He offers very little protection at the back, as the 4-0 defeat at Everton showed, and doesn't do a great deal going forward. 

Unfortunately, I agree with you. I don't see much in Jack. He is young, but...

I admit that he was great at Wembley, like you say.

Not too hard to disagree with One For The Road. I do think he looks dangerous though you can see it when he's on the ball its just waiting for him to start finding that pass that evades him all too often and not holding onto the ball too much. I know it's another level down again but he found that touch at Notts County, he just needs a run of games in my opinion. Hope he finds his killer instincts though

Tonight against Luton is the perfect game to throw him into.

If he plays well he can then take that into two winnable games against Rotherham and Huddersfield and all of a sudden could start looking like a player again.

I don't care much for the 19 straight losses stat as he only played 15/20 mins at most in a good few of those games and was playing in the worst Villa side in history.

Now is the time to shine though and I'm backing him to do it :flag:

What are we hoping for in that position? He's not fast enough to blitz passed a fb and he's not going to whip balls in with his left foot. 

He showed glimpes but not good enough and confidence still looks broken from last year. 

• Like 2

I wouldn't criticise him too much on tonights display. As Merse said he'll look good if the team is on top but when you have to work hard and dig in he's a passenger. Looks like an arsenal player. All nice little passes but no bottle or passion.

• Like 1

Â