Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

1 hour ago, NoelVilla said:

Finished Dahmer. The dad Richard Jenkins was great and it was only now when I checked his name that I realised Shari was Molly Ringwald. She looked familiar all along.

think i've got 1 more left (which tbh seems like 1 episode too many as i feel it's reached a logical conclusion now)

very well done series...would have been very easy to just act out the various killings but they've done well to show the various other characters involved i.e. the neighbour and the police

• Like 1

Just finished watching Our Friends in the North for the first time (Yes, this post is brought to you from the year 1996). Finally got around to it. 

I always had the sense it was following the central four characters over several decades, like a fictional 7 up. And while that is there, it had A LOT more surrounding police and political corruption than I expected. Big chunks of the middle episodes were like a 70’s version of Line of Duty with the four leads nowhere to be seen.

But it was very good, I can see why it’s revered. Great supporting cast too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Just finished watching Our Friends in the North for the first time (Yes, this post is brought to you from the year 1996). Finally got around to it. 

I always had the sense it was following the central four characters over several decades, like a fictional 7 up. And while that is there, it had A LOT more surrounding police and political corruption than I expected. Big chunks of the middle episodes were like a 70’s version of Line of Duty with the four leads nowhere to be seen.

My favourite ever TV drama. Perfection. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Great beating Leeds 3-0 for the cup and what a goal from Savo 

On 30/09/2022 at 06:34, Mozzavfc said:

I enjoyed the whole thing. Was like lighter version of all or nothing 

After finishing the series I'm still not a 100% sure on why Ryan Reynolds is involved. Rob McElhenney seems like a keen sports fans so I kinda understand his involvement, but I don't understand how he got Ryan Reynolds (who he doesn't know) to buy the team

Finishing the series? There is like 7 episodes left. I agree about Reynolds though he doesn’t seem as arsed as Rob does.

Anyway I have been enjoying at a love the fact that there is subtitles when it is clear as day what they are saying. Obviously some Americans must struggle with some of our accents 

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Next one was going to be set in LA I think which could be zodiac or the strangler

The annoying thing is Netflix are pushing so hard for all these different serial killer shows but then they ditched their excellent serial killer chaser show

Now they've effectively laid the groundwork for people to know and understand mind hunter better they should rethink it

Also the continuation of the BTK backstory which was bubbling along nicely in the background. Massive opportunity missed

• Like 2

7 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

9 episodes into Dahmer. I knew what he had done but wasn't aware of the institutional racism element on the part of the Police which was disgusting.

This, along with a few other things in the show, may not be true. 

32 minutes ago, hogso said:

I thought it was there for interpretation and they threw it out there with more than a tinge of bias

Don't believe for a second that he targeted black men

Whether or not the police ignored the complaints because of racism is hard to prove, could just as easily be they would have ignored everyone or that they didn't give a shit about the rundown poor part of town, if it was the UK you'd make a better argument about the class system than racism

27 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I thought it was there for interpretation and they threw it out there with more than a tinge of bias

Don't believe for a second that he targeted black men

Whether or not the police ignored the complaints because of racism is hard to prove, could just as easily be they would have ignored everyone or that they didn't give a shit about the rundown poor part of town, if it was the UK you'd make a better argument about the class system than racism

I got more of an anti  Gay vibe from the police. Especially early doors 

• Like 1

Dahmer may have targeted non-white people, but his reason for doing so is potentially more complex than it initially appears. Dahmer was fascinated by and attracted to very specific body types - basically hairless and low body fat torsos - which he figured was more common in young black and SE Asian men. As a result, he picked up loads of young black and Asian men and horrifically murdered them and played with the bodies. It wasn't him targeting them because they weren't white, it was him targeting them because he assumed their being non white made then more likely to have what he wanted from a victim.

There is an element of homophobia in his getting away with it for so long. He had multiple encounters with cops, including one where a victim escaped, and repeatedly the cops seem to have assumed 'oh, they're gay, it's what they do' and let him go on his way to murder again (the victim that escaped was actually sent away with Dahmer, essentially meaning the police gave him his victim back). And there may be some institutional racism in there as well - he lived in a 'bad part of town' that was majority black and poor, which arguably lead the police to deprioritise or ignore incidents, and his victims are traditionally some of the 'less dead' - young black/Asian gay men didn't (don't?) get the same furore when they go missing that young white girls do.

1 hour ago, hogso said:

I would be interested to know if there was any evidence of the police officers phoning the Laotian victim’s father & racially abusing him. It was a thing for a couple of scenes and then totally forgotten about. I can’t say it would surprise me if it was true however. 

Along with many of you, I've also just finished Dahmer. 

Pretty decent but in my opinion two episodes too long, could have been wrapped up in eight. 

Pantheon might be the best thing around atm. Excellent animated sci-fi with good animation and voice acting. Not quite as good as Arcane perhaps and very different type of show but it's really good.

Pantheon - TV-Serie 2022 - FILMSTARTS.de

The clearly racist elements in Dahmer were the neighbour continually phoning the police saying she can hear fighting/someone is being hurt/someone is being killed next door and the police not attending. I can't believe for a second if that is an affluent white area the Police don't immediately attend. Also smaller elements like when the Asian father spoke in court when Dahmer had sexually assaulted his son and the judge said he couldn't understand him so he got his son to speak and the judge not being interessted and then telligng them to submit a letter for court records. As already mentioned the Police making phone calls telling them to go back to their own country.

I thought the whole thing wreaked of institutional racism and homophobia on the side of the Police. How much of it was true I don't know.

11 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:
The clearly racist elements in Dahmer were the neighbour continually phoning the police saying she can hear fighting/someone is being hurt/someone is being killed next door and the police not attending. I can't believe for a second if that is an affluent white area the Police don't immediately attend. Also smaller elements like when the Asian father spoke in court when Dahmer had sexually assaulted his son and the judge said he couldn't understand him so he got his son to speak and the judge not being interessted and then telligng them to submit a letter for court records. As already mentioned the Police making phone calls telling them to go back to their own country.

I thought the whole thing wreaked of institutional racism and homophobia on the side of the Police. How much of it was true I don't know.

That neighbor (if you mean Glenda Cleveland) apparently didn't live next to him but rather in the house next from Dahmer I think I read.

• Like 1

Rewatched gangs of london series 1 in preparation for series 2 later this month and whilst it's shootout scenes can be a bit far fetched, it's generally OK viewing and got me through the night shift yesterday. 

Edited by mottaloo

2 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

I got more of an anti  Gay vibe from the police. Especially early doors 

Yeah me too, when he was prepared to go in to the details of what him and his boyfriend were doing they had no interest

That was something that came up in the gacy tapes too

• Like 1

Â