Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

Cobra Kai is great fun but I've said before that I can't imagine liking it without any nostalgia for the Karate Kid films.

Season 6 does need to be the last though, there's only so much they can do it with it.  They've milked the original films to the bone now and done well to get the material they have out of it.  They've managed to comb random passing dialogue from the films (e.g. Kim Sun Yung) to aid the storylines.

7 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Cobra Kai is great fun but I've said before that I can't imagine liking it without any nostalgia for the Karate Kid films.

Season 6 does need to be the last though, there's only so much they can do it with it. 

It still works very well without having seen the original films or know anything about them.

But yes, S6 still needs to be the last one, what else can they do to stretch it out further?!

28 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Currently watching Dopesick on Disney+.

Absolutely insane story. I genuinely can't stop thinking about it after I watch each episode.

Superb stuff.

One of the best things I've watched this year, it's not underrated but it definitley hasn't been watched by enough people 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

One of the best things I've watched this year, it's not underrated but it definitley hasn't been watched by enough people 

Although Richard Sackler is written as a caricature the essence of the story is truthful. 

That family knew what and how they were profiting early on, and still wanted more and more.

(Germany always refused to let them adjust the warnings on the labels.)

3 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Although Richard Sackler is written as a caricature the essence of the story is truthful. 

That family knew what and how they were profiting early on, and still wanted more and more.

(Germany always refused to let them adjust the warnings on the labels.)

Yeah I'd say he's my only criticism of it, he's written and then also portrayed by the actor in a way that comes across as exaggerated and purposefully dehumanised him getting you to dislike him from the first moment 

• Like 1

On 11/09/2022 at 21:08, Brumstopdogs said:

Finished Cobra Kai season 5 this weekend and it's a thumbs up from me.

Easy to watch TV and amusing in places!

I've kind of been avoiding it because a mate mentioned that...

Spoiler

Daniel may be a bit of a dick.

I'm not sure if that is the case or he was winding me up, but the original was a big part of my childhood and led me into 18 years of kickboxing training. I don't think I could take it if it spoils the original for me. 

Is it true? (Spoiler box as necessary).

On 17/09/2022 at 22:03, Chindie said:

Made in Wrexham has been surprisingly good so far. It has got a lot of... football for dummies... bits to it and some of the humour is terrible. but it's quite a nice watch over all. A behind the scenes look at the real nitty gritty of professional football. Yes you do have to kinda set aside the feeling that basically Wrexham are trying to do the same thing Citeh have done with rich owners just on a much smaller scale, but it's enjoyable all the same. Especially as both Rob McElhenney and Ryan Reynolds seem to want to do things right by the club.

I've found it a bit superficial at times, but it's certainly watchable. The last episode which tries to explain Wales as a country to Americans was very funny I thought. 

I wonder how instrumental this series has been, if at all, to the inclusion of the Vanarama National in Fifa 23?

4 hours ago, HKP90 said:

Hide contents

I'm not sure if that is the case or he was winding me up, but the original was a big part of my childhood and led me into 18 years of kickboxing training. I don't think I could take it if it spoils the original for me. 

Spoiler

What your mate says is correct. However, I feel his point stands for the original films, the show just points it out more.

• Thanks 1

On 20/09/2022 at 09:15, Bizzzle said:

The new Grand Tour is the best episode of it since they started just doing one off specials imo. Reminded me of the good old days of Top Gear 

I need to revisit TGT. I watched the first series and it wasn’t great, very self indulgent and trying (and failing) to be funny.
It sounds like more recent series are better.

5 hours ago, HKP90 said:

Reveal hidden contents

Well he's no more of a dick than he is in the films and it even touches on that a bit

But yeah, if Karate Kid is a big part of your childhood then you absolutely must watch Cobra Kai.  It more than does right by the Karate Kid movies and it enhances them rather than spoil them.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, HKP90 said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

No, not really.  He can be slightly arrogant or condescending on occasion, but not in a way that spoils the show or the original films.

He's basically just acts like any middle-aged middle-class man with a nuclear family and a great business and lots of money who thinks he knows best and the way he learnt will work for his kids.  ie: he's a normal flawed person.

He also does accept in retrospect on a few occasions that he was actually wrong and the 'other way' was actually better.

Edited by ender4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Genie said:

I need to revisit TGT. I watched the first series and it wasn’t great, very self indulgent and trying (and failing) to be funny.
It sounds like more recent series are better.

first series was atrocious but i'd watch the others if you liked top gear. definitely got better

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah the first series (or 2 maybe 3 series?) when they are in the studio is pretty poor bar a few episodes, there's a good Ford episode for example

It starts proper when they break out in to the 90 minute specials but even then the 2 corona hit one's aren't great

The spin off stuff is though, mays Japan and Italy shows are worth watching and Clarksons farm is very good 

Â