Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

15 hours ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

He’s back! Just watched the first two available episodes, had forgotten what a total freak show is Bobby Durst 😄

IMG_9699.jpeg

Is this the documentary that went a little bit mental? If so, this was recommended to me only this week, sounds amazing.

10 minutes ago, T-Dog said:

Is this the documentary that went a little bit mental? If so, this was recommended to me only this week, sounds amazing.

Hard to say, as the whole thing was 100% mental from jump street 🤣 This is part two, the original ran in 2015

14 minutes ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

Hard to say, as the whole thing was 100% mental from jump street 🤣 This is part two, the original ran in 2015

I think this must be the one based on that reply, I'm on it, thank you

• Like 1

Larry David working his magic on me again. In the episode about the Kamikaze Pilot who grazes the ship, "That sounds like to me, ' I might head home. This is feckin insane!'" And he actually does the action of the plane with his hand. Absolutely hilarious. 

Nothing earth-shattering but quite good. Loved the book, though it’s been a while since I read it, so hard for me to say how faithful to the book this is. Definitely recommend it

Posted (edited)
On 02/05/2024 at 06:40, tinker said:

The guy went back for more from his alleged abuser, he also encouraged the stalker. He then monetised the whole story. 

Hide contents

Tbh the whole thing was frustrating, he was a willing participant in the drug charged sex binges, felt sorry for his girlfriend who he put at a huge risk by his promiscuous behaviour. The guys got strange sexual preferences, big deal, problem is he's thrown at least one person under the bus writing his story.

Meh, what he went through is his business and I feel as though it was made fairly clear that on some level there was some consent for some of the sexual acts and was very honest about some of his own issues.

This was a play for a good while before it was a TV show, the popularity to be #1 and a phenomenon on Netflix must've taken them all by surprise.

Also I thought there were elements of sympathy for Martha too. It wasnt all cut and dry that she was a nutter. There were definitely moments that showed she was troubled and in need of help, the bus stop scene in particular.

Spoiler

But also. If you're going to be a multi convicted stalker then you lose that right to privacy.

And if you're a TV producer working with somebody who wants to be a TV writer, and then you rape that aspiring writer, you can't really be too surprised when they write a TV show about being raped.

Edited by HalfTimePost

Posted (edited)
On 28/04/2024 at 12:16, villa4europe said:

Snowfall and Atlanta were FX too and they were on BBC 

FX have some fantastic shows to be fair to them 

Snowfall, such a great show! My wife and I were in Los Angeles at the end of March but alas, I couldn’t talk her into doing any Snowfall tourism 🤣

Edited by Nor-Cal Villan
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I can see that.

Think I'd say Goonies x Stand by Me x Elfen Lied. 

But then I dunno how many people know Elfen Lied. 

The Eighties and Stephen King in general are massive inspirations obviously, with the latter having written a novel called The Institute which came out a few years after the first series of Stranger Things which shares a lot of similarities in it's themes. A TV adaptation has been in the works for years. 

Edited by hogso

1 hour ago, sheepyvillian said:

If someone asked me to describe Stranger Things, I would say, "Like ET, but without the Alien".

40 minutes ago, hogso said:

Yeah I’d go with Stand By Me x Goonies x Goosebumps.

Stranger Things is a love letter to a particular corner of 80s American pop culture - Amblin Entertainment, early Spielberg more generally, Stephen King's big kid focused novels, mixed with D&D, Satanic panic, metal music, Lovecraft and Cold War conspiracy theory stuff.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Never watched Goonies. 

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952dwnshgbcyiuxnsletf8

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Never watched Goonies. 

Watched it once. It was poor. Never felt the need to return to it. On paper I should have loved it. Not good at all. 

• Like 1

On 05/05/2024 at 22:20, hogso said:

But then I dunno how many people know Elfen Lied. 

I remember going into Elfen Lied absolutely cold.  That opening episode is brutal.

On 05/05/2024 at 15:44, sheepyvillian said:

Never watched Goonies. 

Same. I was 19 when it came out & was way too preoccupied with hitting as many Grateful Dead shows as possible (ended up seeing every show they played that year except for the ones in California, I was still living in North Carolina & going to CA was too $$$). Insane how strongly this film resonates with people of a certain age (at least 15-20 years younger than me).

Also, I remember hating the Cyndi Lauper theme & its video 😜

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

Same. I was 19 when it came out & was way too preoccupied with hitting as many Grateful Dead shows as possible (ended up seeing every show they played that year except for the ones in California, I was still living in North Carolina & going to CA was too $$$). Insane how strongly this film resonates with people of a certain age (at least 15-20 years younger than me).

Also, I remember hating the Cyndi Lauper theme & its video 😜

Never seen The Goonies (wrong generation), never seen The Dead. Don't care about the former, very regretful about the latter. 

Â