Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

3 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Was I wrong in putting Bosch after eponymous ? Do tell.

You should have used his real name instead - then you could have said the eponymous Hieronymus Bosch 😃

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Now you've got me more confused, was I correct in putting Bosch after eponymous?  Simple question. 

If it was a joke, yes. If you meant Hieronymus then no. Its not Eponymous, its Hieronymus Bosch. 

Edited by Seat68

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

The Umbrella Academy - watched first 3 episodes.  Nothing much has happened - is it going to get better?

Yes, although I found season one VERY slow until near the end.

Season two is a huge improvement (apart from the daft lesbian storyline).

• Like 1

On 27/01/2018 at 00:11, Chindie said:

Took a lot longer than usual for me to get through the Punisher, but I finished it the other day.

Bloody hell is that a good show. Probably the best thing Netflix Marvel has produced. Bernthal's take on Castle is very good - it's not quite classic Punisher, but that character couldn't really work in a show like this - he has the intensity and moments of outright rage that fit this take so well. He's appropriately stoic, believable as both a haunted family man and a vengeful killing machine with no mercy. And make no mistake, this take on Castle is not one for mercy at all. One moment has him interrogate a soldier sent to stop him, and, once he has what he wants, coldly kill his enemy with a shot to the head without thought. Bernthal is **** fantastic and has probably become the definitive Punisher.

The rest of the cast is really good as well. It's a surprisingly small cast, the vast majority of screen time belonging to perhaps 6 characters. Ebon Moss-Bachrach gives an excellent take on Micro, here portrayed as a former NSA analyst who's path crosses Castle's and whose life becomes entangled with Castle's. He gives us a much more interesting Micro and his story is very good even as an aside to the main event. Ben Barnes gives us an excellent Billy Russo, completely removed from the comics take admittedly, but is a brilliant presence and gives credible depth to the character - you can immediately tell this is a pretty boy from a bad background come good. Amber Rose Revah plays DHS agent Medani well, but is probably the weakest main cast member. You don't quite buy her as an agent of any sort. It's not her performance or the script really, you just can't quite see her as what the series expects you to. However, she is rather good to look at (sides from the hairstyle. That easily wins 'Worst haircut on attractive person on TV' this year).

The plot concerns Castle returning to his life as the Punisher after discovering a conspiracy that connects his past and the events that lead to the death of his family. On paper its nothing amazing, but the show really makes it work. We also have side stories, concerning a group of veterans that has shades of the McVeigh about it, and Micro's family turmoil, both of which are engaging and have interesting turns. There as usual are a few cards the show tries to surprise that comic fans will see coming (most notable for me an event I spent the entire series waiting for, that finally arrived in the closing minutes) but it's still a very good watch.

We get the appropriate violence and action, some of which it's far too say feature rather a lot of blood being spilled and enough gunfire to satisfy any gun nut. There are a few scenes that verge on daft - Castle gets injured rather a lot in this series and it starts to get silly, with one episode in particular having him so bashed up he'd be barely moving let alone killing anyone. Yes it's comic book stuff but Castle isn't powered at all. He's just an angry broken man who is very, very good at killing people. Over the course of this series he'd be dead multiple times over and, in a couple of episodes, probably be coffin fodder before half an hour is out.

This is part of the Netflix Marvel universe (yes it's MCU technically but really it's barely irrelevant at this point) but it's also probably amongst the most standalone of the lot. We have an appearance of Karen Page from Daredevil, and Turk makes a tiny cameo, but that's about it really. You can walk into the series without touching the Defenders stuff and lose very little.

And I suggest you do. It's really good. There were a few sniffy reviews at launch and I don't understand where those come from. Some said it was slow - I genuinely think this is the first Marvel effort from Netflix that doesn't suffer with pacing issues and sag - I was engaged throughout.

Go watch it.

I just did a search and found this post because I've binged S1 and half of S2 so far and it's a superb show.  Cracks along at a great pace and whilst, yes, you do have to overlook how often he gets shot and stabbed, it's got a clever plotline.

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

I just did a search and found this post because I've binged S1 and half of S2 so far and it's a superb show.  Cracks along at a great pace and whilst, yes, you do have to overlook how often he gets shot and stabbed, it's got a clever plotline.

The first series is one of the best things Netflix did with the Marvel licence. I never got round to the second series, beyond a couple of episodes. Need to get back to it.

That first series though, is a corker.

• Like 1

The grand tour Madagascar special is OK, no different to what they've done before so it only really works now because they're so infrequent, seamen was better because he location was better, it does OK with Réunion but shows very little of Madagascar that's interesting 

• Like 1

Opening episode of The Stand was pretty poor. Felt lightweight and lacked atmosphere.

From what I remember of the old mini-series it started great and then went to shit so hopefully this one is the other way round. From what I remember the book also goes a bit Stephen King after a while after an interesting start so not getting my hopes up. 

10 hours ago, Chindie said:

The first series is one of the best things Netflix did with the Marvel licence. I never got round to the second series, beyond a couple of episodes. Need to get back to it.

That first series though, is a corker.

And then it gets cancelled.

Didn’t all those MCU type shows on Netflix get “cancelled “ because they knew that they all the rights and I guess reruns were going to Disney+.  Why produce content for them for such a short term?  So at this stage it is Disney’s court. Having said that I don’t see the Punisher etc on Disney+. Confused, I am.

47 minutes ago, Withnail said:

Didn’t all those MCU type shows on Netflix get “cancelled “ because they knew that they all the rights and I guess reruns were going to Disney+.  Why produce content for them for such a short term?  So at this stage it is Disney’s court. Having said that I don’t see the Punisher etc on Disney+. Confused, I am.

Netflix knew that Disney were entering the streaming game and that combined with the costs of production and declining audience lead them to bin off the series in favour of producing content they control entirely.

The series are ultimately Netflix's content so unless Disney buys the shows or there's something in the deal that prevents Netflix broadcasting the content beyond a period they hold the licence for (which is unlikely), the Defenders related series will remain on Netflix.

But this all belongs in the MCU thread >_>

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Big Salad said:

Last night I watched the first two episodes of Lovecraft Country.  I came away pretty impressed with it and will definitely will be continuing to watch.

Cracking show, one of my faves of the year. 

• Like 1

Â