Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

Finally caught up with The Handmaid’s Tale. 
It’s a very different show by the end of the third series but still very enjoyable. I still can’t get my head around how we are supposed to believe that people are swinging from lampposts for the slightest infraction but June gets away with everything she does. 

• Like 1

On 09/12/2020 at 20:50, mykeyb said:

As they are all there I watched the whole series......it's easy to say it's utter tripe but I would say they could have done so many different things with the story and eventually chose this one is bizzare. The last 20 minutes is total crap which just doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

I just put this in my watchlist on NowTV. Is it safe to say I should avoid?

On 09/12/2020 at 23:00, sheepyvillian said:

My new pleasure is " Bosch ". I think Titus Welliver is a great actor and perfect for the character of Harry Bosch. I'm totally addicted and already on season 4 after 3 weeks.

There's an honesty to it that you don't always find with cop shows. And the eponymous, Bosch is certainly one interesting detective. He's dedicated  but without ambition and doesn't adhere to the usual stereotypes. I firmly recommend this show if you like that genre. 

Incidentally, Titus welliver does the best Al Pacino impersonation ever. You Tube if anyone's curious, trust me, its hilarious. 

Yes, we race through the seasons as soon as they drop.

Like a bit of Bosch, some of it is filmed at Chez Jay's bar where Dennis Wilson had his own booth (or a set made to look the same). They also played one of his tracks in an early season.

Edited by rjw63
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I watched The Night Of and agree with others, it's great.  Good to see loads of actors from other HBO shows turning up in it especially the two from The Wire.  I'd happily watch a second season with the same lawyer, I assume they would have done one by now if they were going to.

John Turturro, one of the most underrated actors ever.

• Like 2

Agreed. I'll probably give it a couple of episodes, but the last season was dreadful, really a slog to get through it. I've watched most episodes of it several times, it's great TV, but I never go past season 12. Except for the sexual harassment one in season 13, that's a classic.

Edited by Davkaus

22 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Agreed. I'll probably give it a couple of episodes, but the last season was dreadful, really a slog to get through it. I've watched most episodes of it several times, it's great TV, but I never go past season 12. Except for the sexual harassment one in season 13, that's a classic.

I still enjoy them more than most things on the TV. I'm not sure if they've dropped in quality or I've become jaded. I'll put some of the latest ones on again tonight and check.

1 hour ago, darrenm said:

I still enjoy them more than most things on the TV. I'm not sure if they've dropped in quality or I've become jaded. I'll put some of the latest ones on again tonight and check.

I reckon it must be very hard to keep a comedy going on that long.  Mac and Dennis have probably taken their characters to the limit, though I'd probably find Charlie and Frank funny forever.

9 hours ago, Brumerican said:

I think Compo would disagree.

'We have your award here . . . let's see what it's for . . . ah yes, it's 'longest-running sitcom in which every episode features a bath on wheels rolling down a hillside for some reason''

On 09/12/2020 at 23:00, sheepyvillian said:

My new pleasure is " Bosch ". I think Titus Welliver is a great actor and perfect for the character of Harry Bosch. I'm totally addicted and already on season 4 after 3 weeks.

There's an honesty to it that you don't always find with cop shows. And the eponymous, Bosch is certainly one interesting detective. He's dedicated  but without ambition and doesn't adhere to the usual stereotypes. I firmly recommend this show if you like that genre. 

Incidentally, Titus welliver does the best Al Pacino impersonation ever. You Tube if anyone's curious, trust me, its hilarious. 

OK ignore my previous quote about Chez Jay's bar...its not in this show!

I got confused with Goliath, which is filmed in the same area. Another show I can highly recommend...Billy Bob Thornton is superb as usual.

1 hour ago, rjw63 said:

I got confused with Goliath, which is filmed in the same area. Another show I can highly recommend...Billy Bob Thornton is superb as usual.

It's funny you mentioned that, I've often thought to give it a go. I may well do after I've finished Bosch. 

On 01/05/2020 at 19:47, Chindie said:

know it's trash, but I've always had a soft spot for SAS Who Dares Wins. They've just started a new 'celebrity' series, with the usual events and whatnot. And it's the usual compelling rubbish.

But the 2 big things I've taken from the series so far - I can't tell if Tony Bellew and John Fashanu are competitive 'alpha' guys, or bellends. In a couple of tasks they've done the 'are you able to use and control aggression' and in both of them you kinda see a side to things that make you question things. Bellew beforehand seemed like a fairly good bloke (I'm putting aside his boxing persona because, well, a lot of that is put on drama to sell a fight). But in a task where he had to take all the other contestants punching him and not fight back he was screaming at them and eventually they had to stop the task as he was clearly about to start swinging. In a later task they did 'murderball' where basically 2 contestants had to fight over a tire to score a point, and Bellew is legally going mad in the sidelines calling them all words removed for not doing well enough on his team.

But it's Fashanu I really can't work out. He's 56 now and slowing down. And he's got that gentleman arsehole thing going on, he talks well and his clearly a smarter bloke than the average footballer, but then on the murder ball task he literally tried to strangle his opponent, he had him in a hold straight out of Brazilian jiu-jitsu. Which just seems like a psychopathic thing to do. I can understand the aggression, but trying to choke the other guy out? What the ****?! I know he's always had that prick side to him (lest of all his **** grim attitude to his brother for the longest time) but this was just bizarre.

I watched this again earlier.

On a rewatch you can see that Bellew is largely a good man but clearly has temper issues and hyper competitive. Which isn't a shocker for a former boxer of his success, but you wonder how that works now his life is out of the fast lane.

Fashanu though. Strangling a fellow competitor... And seemingly not because he lost it, just because he felt like that was what he needed to do to beat someone in a game. It's **** insane. The interview they did with him afterwards to see what was behind that, when it was over, had one of the staff say that was the first time he's looked at someone and wondered what was going on in their head. He's clearly **** nuts.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2020 at 04:50, rjw63 said:

Loved season 1 hated season 2. 

7 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Schitts Creek is amusing enough

I started this a couple of times, but couldn’t get “into” it or even past the first episode. I was assured by a friend to stick it out. Glad I did. Not a laugh a minute but enjoyable nonetheless. 

• Like 1

Â