Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

17 minutes ago, avfcDJ said:

Finished Cobra Kai season 3, it really is one of my favourite shows of all time.

I'm going to have to start this aren't I? Pretty much universal acclaim.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Yeah. You only need to watch the first one though. Watch it and then enjoy.

@Davkaus I’d suggest the second karate kid too (esp considering certain bits of season 3 of cobra Kai) 

Edited by theboyangel
  • Like 2

I think to fully appreciate Cobra Kai, you need to be a kid of the eighties, who grew up watching films like The Karate Kid, The Goonies, E.T etc. I had it on VHS and must of watched it at least a 100 times. The nostalgia effect for me really makes this show what it is, and its cheese factor is the cherry on top.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I've just assumed there's no point watching Cobra Kai if I've not seen the films, is that fair?

Definitely fair.  I think even if you watched the films now part of the magic and nostalgia would be lost which would make it difficult to overcome some of the (deliberate) cheesiness.

I think all 3 films should to be watched beforehand too.  

OK so 2 episodes into BBC's adaptation of Terry Pratchett's The Watch I can say with confidence that this will fall into the long line of shows that might be enjoyed by people who have not read the source material but will likely be hated by the ones who have. 

Another show where the writers seem to think they are better writers than the one who wrote the original story and created the world. They are of course not and especially not in this case.

Another missed opportunity.

The Watch Poster

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I've just assumed there's no point watching Cobra Kai if I've not seen the films, is that fair?

You can watch it fine without having seen or having any knowledge of the original films.    

Literally all you need to know is that two kids did karate at school against each other and are now grown up but still hold a grudge.  That's all there is to it.

The series fills you in with any history you need to know, including the odd flashback scene.

Edited by ender4

19 minutes ago, sne said:

OK so 2 episodes into BBC's adaptation of Terry Pratchett's The Watch I can say with confidence that this will fall into the long line of shows that might be enjoyed by people who have not read the source material but will likely be hated by the ones who have. 

Another show where the writers seem to think they are better writers than the one who wrote the original story and created the world. They are of course not and especially not in this case.

Another missed opportunity.

The Watch Poster

It's a **** travesty.

I reject it's existence.

Discworld contains some of my favourite books. The Watch storylines are among my absolute favourite, so I was so excited when I knew this was being made,  but I've seen the trailer, and that was enough for me to reject this, I won't watch a single episode of it.

• Like 2

Unsurprisingly, given the avatar, I'm a huge Discworld fan. I might be the comic book guy but I'm much more invested in the Discworld series and have been since I was a kid 

I was open to an original series covering the Watch. It leant itself to a 'crime of the week' style satire. I was even open to tweaking some characters - the books early on have a lack of female characters and it's clear later that even Pratchett knew he needed to rebalance, so whilst I'd prefer keeping the series entirely true to the books minor changes like gender flips to supporting characters I could accept.

Then the news just kept coming. Stuff that made it obvious they they just didn't get it. There's a character in the books called Cheery Littlebottom. A dwarf, a race in the Discworld that has an issue with gender and sex - basically everyone presents as men and femininity isn't A Thing. Cheery's arc across multiple books is about her coming out as a woman and forcing her people to accept that femininity is a thing. It's basically a feminism allegory, the point of her character is that she's a woman from a background that can't acknowledge women. So this show takes that character, and makes them a trans character. Which is a different thing. A very different thing, with different focuses and different issues that need to be addressed. 

They then did things like announce Sybil Ramkin, the main protagonists wife in the Watch series, a 'big' woman of a noble background, middle aged, posh, but in that way where they're rich but never spend money and spend their days breeding dogs and clearing out the barn and stamping around in wellies, to actually be a very attractive fit woman who is also Batman, in essence. A vigilante. Sybil isn't a vigilante. She's basically cut off from the world. She becomes Vimes anchor and drags him out of the gutter when he gets promoted to a standing far above his background, and she's not to be messed with... She's not Batman.

And then they revealed the set up and less the medieval satire it was much more steam punk and 'whacky'. Vimes, our main character who begins the series as a misanthrope in the gutter living bottle to bottle and worn down by a sense of justice that is never allowed to grow in his city, is instead a whacky clown.

It's clear the writer had his own ideas and just slapped the property over it to sell it to a studio. I remember listening to an episode of the Remainiacs podcast which featured one of the cast as a guest (also laughably miscast) who discussed just finishing filming. Did they mention Pratchett, Discworld, anything to do with the supposed inspiration? Did they ****.

Thank **** the licence is now back with Narrativia proper and they can actually adapt it as Pratchett would have done so.

• Like 4

Greys anatomy might be the worst show I've ever seen for writing out characters, it's awful, pretty much everyone is abrupt, either dying or just up and leaving with no prior hint at it

The big one in season 16 is terrible, just bad bad writing 

Â