Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

2 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Possibly to scratch the itch of not being in a pub, I watched “Saving Britain’s pubs with Tom Kerridge” (no,me neither but he seems like an affable fella, who knows his stuff).

I had assumed it was going to look at the pub trade’s struggles in the wake of Covid...which it did, but it was being filmed before the first lockdown took place and the subsequent fall out.

So you saw these already struggling landlords take on board the suggestions from Kerridge, make the changes and then face having to close down for months.

Proved to be an interesting snapshot, they were properly community driven, decent folk. Would be intrigued to see a follow up episode in the new year to see how they got on.

Yeah, I found that a good watch. Despite Kerridge, whom I can't stand. Always felt there's something dodgy about him. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Yeah, I found that a good watch. Despite Kerridge, whom I can't stand. Always felt there's something dodgy about him. 

His pub is alright to be fair to him, not been to his 2 star place just his one round the corner, his first weight loss book is also pretty good (no beer! Chilli in everything to speed up metabolism, cut out traditional carb sides) 

But yeah there's something about him that I can't put my finger on that makes me want to turn it over when he's on, he's not as bad as Oliver but he's heading down the same path 

53 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

46 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

His pub is alright to be fair to him, not been to his 2 star place just his one round the corner, his first weight loss book is also pretty good (no beer! Chilli in everything to speed up metabolism, cut out traditional carb sides) 

But yeah there's something about him that I can't put my finger on that makes me want to turn it over when he's on, he's not as bad as Oliver but he's heading down the same path 

Fair enough, this is the first time I’ve seen him so obviously just my initial impressions. I did get the sense that he could turn mean if something doesn’t go his way, but then I have that with most tv chefs.

The pub down Cornwall way with the nice views seemed like a great little pub.

10 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

The pub down Cornwall way with the nice views seemed like a great little pub

It did. But had the dilemma of being a 'locals' pub, and there weren't enough locals to keep it going. Yet, being away from the coast it didn't get much passing tourist trade. So to get tourists in they'd have to go a bit more upmarket, and aggressively market on social media, etc. Which, in turn, might alienate the locals. And then Covid. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Fair enough, this is the first time I’ve seen him so obviously just my initial impressions. I did get the sense that he could turn mean if something doesn’t go his way, but then I have that with most tv chefs.

On 7 November 2012, Kerridge was among a number of chefs who joined in the cyber-bullying of a customer to his associate Claude Bosi's restaurant Hibiscus. James Isherwood had written on his blog 'Dining With James' that he had not enjoyed his starter, leading Bosi and fellow Michelin star chef SatBains to verbally abuse him on Twitter.

Wiki

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Possibly to scratch the itch of not being in a pub, I watched “Saving Britain’s pubs with Tom Kerridge” (no,me neither but he seems like an affable fella, who knows his stuff).

I had assumed it was going to look at the pub trade’s struggles in the wake of Covid...which it did, but it was being filmed before the first lockdown took place and the subsequent fall out.

So you saw these already struggling landlords take on board the suggestions from Kerridge, make the changes and then face having to close down for months.

Proved to be an interesting snapshot, they were properly community driven, decent folk. Would be intrigued to see a follow up episode in the new year to see how they got on.

I like Tom Kerridge, always comes across as a thoroughly decent, chap.

On 16/11/2020 at 16:06, theboyangel said:

One episode into The Queens Gambit and think it’s bloody brilliant!

totally not what I was expecting 

Very smart and stylish show. I'm through 3 episodes now. Not convinced by some of the acting, though. They get the period right in so many ways, but they apparently didn't think to convince the actors to drop their own contemporary mannerisms and ways of speaking to better reflect those of 1961.

• Like 2

Just now, maqroll said:

Very smart and stylish show. I'm through 3 episodes now. Not convinced by some of the acting, though. They get the period right in so many ways, but they apparently didn't think to convince the actors to drop their own contemporary mannerisms and ways of speaking to better reflect those of 1961.

That's a very good point, and I agree. 

2 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Also, the stepmother, or the actress that plays her...I can't decide if she's a terrible actress or a brilliant one!

I quite liked the character and thought the actress did a decent job so would err closer to the latter. 

• Like 1

This second series of His Dark Materials has been getting better and better with each episode. Cannot fault it. I haven’t read the source material so all of it is new and its been marvellous. 
Also started watching I hate Suzie, I think my wife is really enjoying it, me not so much. 
Finally, The Thick Of It. Not sure why I never watched it at the time but whizzed through that. Short episodes and a short series. Loved it. 

• Like 1

Watching German bake off again, Danish week this week, 6 of them left, challenge one is just something typically danish

1 of them is making a cake, 1 cinnamon buns, 1 Danish pastry and 1 of them Danish biscuits 

Weird how they're letting be so different 

4 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Have been watching Blown Away on Netflix a competition for glass blowers.

The skill is amazing but can’t help but titter whenever they use their oven, which in the trade is called the glory hole 😂😂😂

I am so childish! 

I once sat next to colleagues twice my age discussing the glory holes they remember their parents and grandparents having in their homes when they were little. Turns out for some it was a phrase meaning the cupboard under the stairs were all the crap was chucked.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 30/11/2020 at 10:29, villa4europe said:

Watching German bake off again, Danish week this week, 6 of them left, challenge one is just something typically danish

1 of them is making a cake, 1 cinnamon buns, 1 Danish pastry and 1 of them Danish biscuits 

Weird how they're letting be so different 

Never thought that a show about baking by amateurs would be worth a minute of my time. But now there's international spin offs?

I really don't have my finger on the 'pulse' of popular culture. Not criticizing just intrigued in whats appealing about it.

On 28/11/2020 at 04:49, mjmooney said:

We were family friends growing up. Not neighborhood friends - Once a month parents get together friends. His mom went to Halesowen Grammar with my dad (same class.)

Nice lad from what I can remember. From my understanding it's his wife who has really pushed the business side his celebrity. Done well for himself obviously. 

3 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Never thought that a show about baking by amateurs would be worth a minute of my time. But now there's international spin offs?

I really don't have my finger on the 'pulse' of popular culture. Not criticizing just intrigued in whats appealing about it.

its a mixture of things, i started watching around series 5 and its now the only thing weekly on terrestrial TV that i watch

i think deep down baking is ingrained in british people, it was in my childhood, i made jam tarts with my gran, horrible packaged cupcake mixture with with beano stickers on top with my mom, now at least once a fortnight i say to my wife we're not doing much at the weekend we should make something (we dont...) i think we like the idea of doing it and love the bakery products so there is more of a general interest in what they are doing than say masterchef (i think Gordon Ramsey's competition to find the best take away for example had a similar kind of appeal)

it has an incredible reach, it puts a massive tick in the family box, appeals to all ages, i think they themselves must be shocked at how much it appeals to men, i've had water cooler chats at work about last nights episode with several blokes and i work in construction management 

for me personally i like the relaxed nature of the competition, its not edited in a way that falsely generates excitement, they dont spend loads of time showing you what happened 5 minutes ago and what happens next, its got a very jovial personality which is also a credit to the contestants, there's no one on there trying to stand out, trying to be gobby, trying to finish 6th in a blaze of glory and follow it up with some iffy social media posts on their way to becoming a millionaire, theres not even any prize money, as a result the contestants are usually really wholesome, i dont think ive ever watched an epsiode of bake off and thought "urgh that clearing in the woods grinds my gears i hope they go out this week" which is what other shows do, they're as happy for you to hate someone as they are for you to love them whereas BO isnt built that way, theres no negativity its happy TV, theres not even a story to them, the guy this year with 1 leg, dont think they even said what happened to him, the dont try and make you feel sad for anyone, i dont watch any other competition on TV, i dont like them, apprentice, im a celeb, big brother etc are all garbage, masterchef is ok and the only other one i did used to like was great british menu so i knew and liked Pru already - thats the bit that from my experience the international ones try to achieve but dont quite get there

there'a not a great deal on TV and they have a good time slot, i found myself watching BO rather than CL football but other than that i would be streaming something or playing playstation at that time

the main point out of all of that i think is that its just a happy TV show

• Like 3

Â