Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

On 09/12/2020 at 10:52, rjw63 said:

Waiting for you to come back in this thread like...

spacer.png

ok, so got halfway through S1 of Dark and it was standard time-travel rules etc. A little confusing with all the characters, but nothing too brain-taxing. 

Then the third time period got thrown in... and now i'm...

spacer.png

Anyhow i got to the end of S1 and something stood out as a real oddity.  

Its set in Germany in 2019 (ignoring the timelines for a minute) and there is not 1 ethnic minority in the whole series.   Not even a token black/asian person, even background extras are all just completely white.   

So is this the actual make-up of the population in Germany in 2019 or is this unintentional institutional racism from Netflix?    It's weird how jarring it is to the series, i don't think i've seen any other tv show made in the last few years that is like this.    

35 minutes ago, ender4 said:

So is this the actual make-up of the population in Germany in 2019 or is this unintentional institutional racism from Netflix?    It's weird how jarring it is to the series, i don't think i've seen any other tv show made in the last few years that is like this.    

Estimates put the black population at somewhere around 1% in germany, but they don't collect stats on racial demographics. 

Considering that in the UK, it's about 3%, I'd argue black people are probably overrepresented on modern British TV compared to the general population, whereas asians seem quite underrepresented. At least in the shows I watch!

Edited by Davkaus
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Estimates put the black population at somewhere around 1% in germany, but they don't collect stats on racial demographics. 

Considering that in the UK, it's about 3%, I'd argue black people are probably overrepresented on modern British TV compared to the general population, whereas asians seem quite underrepresented. At least in the shows I watch!

Though you are just talking about black people, not any non-white ethnicity.   Isn't Germany around 20% non-white?

Though now i'm thinking maybe this series is set in old East Germany which might be a lot more white.

Edited by ender4

3 hours ago, ender4 said:

Thought you are just talking about black people, not any non-white ethnicity.   Isn't Germany around 20% non-white?

Though now i'm thinking maybe this series is set in old East Germany which might be a lot more white.

I started looking for some stats and for some reason for tunnel vision while looking at specific stats for black people, no idea why, ignore me :D

4 hours ago, ender4 said:

Its set in Germany in 2019 (ignoring the timelines for a minute) and there is not 1 ethnic minority in the whole series.   Not even a token black/asian person, even background extras are all just completely white.   

Going OT - I would say that it's normal, my wife is from a tiny village out in the sticks and spending time there it's very white, I've never seen a black guy there, in the bigger village there's a Turkish kebab shop and a Chinese place but in all the time over been there that's all I've seen, the wife says she went to school with 1 black kid but his family moved away since then 

There's a seemingly large Turkish population here but that's actually only around 5%, the country is roughly 90% white

My office in bonn has 27 nationalities and no black people, we have Mexicans, Brazilians, Iranians, fair few from Asia but no one who is black

There's no real historical or cultural ties to Africa or the Caribbean, they didn't have a colony anywhere like say France, Belgium or obviously us

Edited by villa4europe
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Going OT - I would say that it's normal, my wife is from a tiny village out in the sticks and spending time there it's very white, I've never seen a black guy there, in the bigger village there's a Turkish kebab shop and a Chinese place but in all the time over been there that's all I've seen, the wife says she went to school with 1 black kid but his family moved away since then 

There's a seemingly large Turkish population here but that's actually only around 5%, the country is roughly 90% white

My office in bonn has 27 nationalities and no black people, we have Mexicans, Brazilians, Iranians, fair few from Asia but no one who is black

There's no real historical or cultural ties to Africa or the Caribbean, they didn't have a colony anywhere like say France, Belgium or obviously us

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_former_German_colonies

:P

EDIT:

I should probably give a non-dick comment, so here it is:

You're both wrong and right at the same time. Germany had loads of colonies, and was an important colonial power, and this was not a trivial part of the background for the First World War. However, you are right that Germany did not have the post-colonial immigration of other western European nations. The basic reason for this is that post-colonial immigration was a solution for imperial powers facing labour shortages at the end of the Second World War, but because Germany had lost the First World War, it had already surrendered all of colonial possessions by 1919, before the era of widespread immigration began.

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 2

Anyone remember Live TV late 90's with shows like Topless Darts, Agony (Debbie Currie was on of the presenters) , Painted Ladies (two women who painted each other naked) to the tune of Take Hart, the weather in Norwegian with Ann Marie Foss. Men talking beer, Financial tips off a stripping page three girl etc, sample of Agony below

3 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

Anyone remember Live TV late 90's with shows like Topless Darts, Agony (Debbie Currie was on of the presenters) , Painted Ladies (two women who painted each other naked) to the tune of Take Hart, the weather in Norwegian with Ann Marie Foss. Men talking beer, Financial tips off a stripping page three girl etc, sample of Agony below

Tiffany's Big City Tips!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, stuart_75 said:

I remember Topless Darts from the 90's. You'd always get some 3rd rate slapper with huge spaniels ears throwing the arrows.

Fantastic.

They were all crap at darts as well, not that that really mattered 

First episode of the new Steven King, The Stand series is out today and apparently there is a organized campaign from Johnny Depp fans to tank the show on IMDB. Tons of 1/10 reviews who are all about how CBS should not have hired Amber Heard.

Not watched it yet but I imagine it's better than the 5.4 rating it currently has on IMDB

The Stand Poster

And in other news the Grand Tour Madagascar Special is also out today.

Â