General Chat

Stevo985

1 hour ago, Eidolon said:

Just went to make dinner and only noticed now that my fridge freezer must have given up the ghost at some point in the day 🙃 so much stuff in my freezer I won’t be able to use 😭

I feel your pain. Especially in an Aussie Summer. 

On 14/01/2022 at 20:13, Genie said:

During the summer Olympics there was plenty of talk about how little coverage there was on terrestrial TV. 
I just noticed that Discovery+ have a half price offer which includes sports. Discovery+ and Eurosport are showing every event live.

£29.99 for a year

4-DD3-EAB1-93-CC-4-FE2-A23-F-7-D9-EBDFCA

Link

Actually, if you’re a Vodafone pay monthly customer you can get Discovery+ free for 6 months (then either cancel of pay £4.99 a month).

The wife is happy as she likes all the shitty ghost, haunted investigation type programmes. 

Does anyone have intimate knowledge of venues in Birmingham city centre you can hire for live music?

im looking to book a party with a live band but no idea on pubs or venues you can book which allow live music to be played. 

contacted two players and they say only a DJ or playlist can be used…

20 minutes ago, kidlewis said:

Does anyone have intimate knowledge of venues in Birmingham city centre you can hire for live music?

im looking to book a party with a live band but no idea on pubs or venues you can book which allow live music to be played. 

The flapper is the obvious place but it's rather basic shall we say. 

The Victoria in John Bright Street used to hire out upstairs for bands.  The Old Royal has a function room.

Revolucion De Cuba will rent out upstairs on certain nights. 

Old Joint Stock has some large ish rooms upstairs, don't know if bands allowed though. 

Same for Primitovo, not sure if they allow bands.  Cosy club had a room too. 

Depends on which night, how big and how posh really. 

St Paul's House in St Paul's Square will rope off areas for functions but not sure about a band. 

Actress and Bishop for bands too.  A bit posher than The Flapper but still fairly indie. 

Could also try The Distillery, I think they can have bands again now.

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, kidlewis said:

What sort of party is it? 

Most hotels with function rooms will be allowed live music.

Think you can hire The Mill, which would be a proper gig venue but might be too big?

The Bierkeller

The Victoria (already mentioned by Sidcow)

Sunflower lounge maybe?

Edited by AlwaysAVFC
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, kidlewis said:

Villa Park does if you can venture out that far ;) (seriously - had a band playing in the McGregor Suite in November). 

Otherwise maybe the Asylum Venue in Hockley? It has 2 rooms so depending on size. Possibly Mama Roux as well in Digbeth? Might be a good shout as bit more party venue I suppose?! Like others have said though it depends on what sort of party it is. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

The Victoria in John Bright Street used to hire out upstairs for bands.  The Old Royal has a function room.

Old Joint Stock has some large ish rooms upstairs, don't know if bands allowed though. 

St Paul's House in St Paul's Square will rope off areas for functions but not sure about a band. 

Actress and Bishop for bands too.  A bit posher than The Flapper but still fairly indie. 

Used to love seeing bands at the Flapper and A&B in my teens. Great venues, at least they were.

• Like 1

The Jam House?

The Church Inn, on Gt Hampton Street? They have a room at the back. 

If you move out the city centre, then The Station and Hare & Hounds in Kings Heath both hire rooms out, My mate's band has played at both. 

9 hours ago, sidcow said:

Thanks everyone, really good insight. I’ve enquired with Victoria and will look at some others.

I am having to move quite fast on this so need to try and get the detail nailed this week. 

2-Jul is the date for a 40th birthday party. Hard as the live band need AV equipment provided which is an additional challenge but they are up and coming and bloody brilliant and it’s probably the only chance I’d have to do this before they’d go big big so will be a good surprise for the party. 

15 hours ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

What sort of party is it? 

Most hotels with function rooms will be allowed live music.

Think you can hire The Mill, which would be a proper gig venue but might be too big?

The Bierkeller

The Victoria (already mentioned by Sidcow)

Sunflower lounge maybe?

I think the Sunflower Lounge has gone these days 😔

55 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think the Sunflower Lounge has gone these days 😔

Nope - still very much alive. Well they have a load of shows listed for this year still on their website at the very least and their last posts were yesterday confirming new shows so I still think they are kicking around :) 

1 hour ago, cyrusr said:

Nope - still very much alive. Well they have a load of shows listed for this year still on their website at the very least and their last posts were yesterday confirming new shows so I still think they are kicking around :) 

Ah I was getting it mixed up with Island Bar around the corner. That one has unfortunately closed down

I went to watch my nephew play football last Sunday. The first thing my sister said when she saw me… 

“You’ve got something on your forehead. Haha oh the joy of kids, I think I’ll let you get that off”

Sure enough, just above my eyebrow was a huge bogey.

I hadn’t seen my toddler yet that day, but it was useful using him as an excuse.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 30/01/2022 at 20:29, TheAuthority said:

Colleague at work slipped on the ice and is in hospital. Already had one spinal surgery and has another scheduled for Tuesday. It's not looking good i.e. paralysis from the neck down :(

The nicest guy you could hope to meet. (Played trumpet with Phil Collins for years.)

Why does this stuff happen to the good ones?

Oh dear oh dear. That's horrendous bad luck. As someone who has suffered with their back in the past, fingers crossed they can do something or he can recover in some way.

Â