General Chat

Stevo985

Going back to these guys:

0_Four-Lads-in-Jeans-meme-from-trolling-

Are there no longer ANY dress restrictions in clubs? 

When I was a lad it had to be full suit and ties to get in. 

Then early 90s is became shoes and trousers, 90s footballer petrol green or electric blue sports jacket (or mustard yellow if you were insane) 

Then you could drop the jacket, but still needed trousers and shoes. 

But flippin eck.  Can you really go up town for a night out dressed like you're nipping out to Tesco? 

Edited by sidcow

29 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Owned by Tesco. Its their more budget brand but wholly separate to any Tesco branding. If you ever park up at Perry Barr when visiting VP there is a relatively large one there. 

Unlike Jacks, which is wholly owned by Tesco and separate from Tesco branding....

We are blessed with all the shit budget brands of the shittest supermarket chain ever!

Oh and chocolate and orange flavour Twirls have all been eaten by Sadik Khan in the smoke, he's the Twirl Snatcher (He's doing you a massive favour)

8 hours ago, maqroll said:

I'm typically not much of a birthday person, but today is a big one. I'm 50. And I spotted a **** white pubic hair today, too. Salt in the wound

Weird euphemism for a grey pube. 

Happy birthday by the way. 

Edited by Rds1983

18 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I've always been thinking -ise endings is British, and -ize endings is Americanese. Am I wrong in that?

In general usage yes you are correct, however in academic journals like Cambridge University Press and Oxford University Press the -ize suffix is used:

The Oxford University Press states that the belief that ‑ize is an exclusively North American variant is incorrect.[5]

• Like 1

I seem to remeber it being ‘no trainers’ in Brum nightclubs back in the late noughties, which was always a bit weird to us Nordic savages. Had to pack extra shoes for getting into clubs. 

Edited by El Zen
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

we went to snobs because they didn't care

Nightclub names is a weird one, I think.

I mean loads of clubs had/have names like Snobs, Scruples, Squires, Cinderellas. Rockerfellas, The Ritz, Secrets, etc. - trying to appear "upmarket" or exclusive, but were just sticky carpeted pits

Then you get other places "Tall Trees",  "the Powerhouse",, "Gorilla" which I reckon tended to be better

And finally there's the ones which are kind of normal  - reflecting the thing they actually are or used to be - The Deaf Institute, The Central Bar. Those are the best ones (except the Central Bar, which wasn't. Tall Trees was better).

10 hours ago, maqroll said:

I'm typically not much of a birthday person, but today is a big one. I'm 50. And I spotted a **** white pubic hair today, too. Salt in the wound. 

I’ve DM’d you about the pube.

Cash waiting.

• Haha 2
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Kids nowadays will never know the nervousness of putting black socks over your trainers or holding a random girls hand to try and get in a place, do they even queue anymore? Can remember nights of queuing for near an hour to get in terrible Kidderminster night clubs 

Yes, I believe they do still queue. When I was last on a night out in Lichfield, they were queuing in their dozens to get into a Walkabout of all places. 

We ourselves ended up queuing, for longer  than we should have tolerated - and paying a few quid - to get into nearby The Scales. We had gone there as it was a late license venue, but it was (unsurprisingly) a dreadful experience for a bunch a blokes in their mid thirties.

Oh and happy birthday @maqroll :cheers:

• Like 2

10 hours ago, maqroll said:

I'm typically not much of a birthday person, but today is a big one. I'm 50. And I spotted a **** white pubic hair today, too. Salt in the wound. 

Happy Birthday mate! I too join the 50 club next month, although I've had a fair few white pubes for a good number of years so there you go 😄

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Yes, I believe they do still queue. When I was last on a night out in Lichfield, they were queuing in their dozens to get into a Walkabout of all places. 

We ourselves ended up queuing, for longer  than we should have tolerated - and paying a few quid - to get into nearby The Scales. We had gone there as it was a late license venue, but it was (unsurprisingly) a dreadful experience for a bunch a blokes in their mid thirties.

i can remember a night out down the big smoke maybe 5 years ago, just turned up in the city centre, no idea what to do or where to go, ended up near leicester square queuing for an o'neils, about 30 mins stood there, got to the front "£16 each boys" im not sure if the laughter drowned out the "**** off"

can also remember a stag do in liverpool queuing to get in somewhere only to be told it was scousers only when we got to the front, that went down well

but kiddy from what i can tell now its died off, maybe its cos we're getting there relatively early as sunshine drinkers or maybe just cos kiddy is shit

and happy birthday @maqroll

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

A couple of Christmases ago I remember leaving our office party with a couple of the lads and we were walking down past that bar off Victoria Square now called Kongs, but which was Chameleon at the time.  There was  a massive queue all the way down Hill Street.  It was admittedly the last Friday night before Christmas but I couldn't believe it.  I was very very drunk and I was yelling at them "You're queuing just to get into a pub.  What are you doing?  You're queuing just to get into a pub!!"

I'm a little surprised I didn't get my head kicked in, but I just couldn't believe there was this massive queue to get into what I thought was a dreadful bar.  

Edited by sidcow

I have oft considered creating a 'what colour are yer pubes' thread, akin to the 'how do you wipe yer arse' thread. The above is my signal to cross the rubicon.

When I started clubbing it was generally black trousers, a collared shirt (Ben Sherman or YSL, if you were pushing the boat out) and formal shoes. I used to look like a right dry lunch trying to get into Bakers or Stoodi's. 

I guess it changed in early 2000's? Snobs was always casual, but didn't allow sportswear or certain brands associated with hooliganism (Burbery, Rockport, Stone Island, etc)

When I got my first job and could afford decent clobber, I used to use Reiss, Kensington Freak, Autograph and another store in Burlington Arcade that I can't remember the name of, but Its long gone now. 

The thought of queuing to get into a place now makes me laugh. 

• Like 1

Â