General Chat

Stevo985

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Ooh, get you and your having stuff valuable enough to need a safe.

#humblebrag 

One man's treasure...

• Like 1

Not really sure where else to post this but have seen in the news over the past few days that both Deliveroo and Just Eat have announced significant losses - again - for the past 12 months, despite bookings going through the roof.

I’ve long wondered how they make money given the small margins but how are they even staying afloat if making year on year losses and what hope is there for them if they cannot be profitable during a pandemic?! 

I’m must be missing something obvious. 

You’re kidding?! It costs a fortune just to get a normal fish and chips, plus delivery, plus extra delivery if it’s too far, plus service charge, plus card charge. And no profit??? Something dodgy going on there. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

You’re kidding?! It costs a fortune just to get a normal fish and chips, plus delivery, plus extra delivery if it’s too far, plus service charge, plus card charge. And no profit??? Something dodgy going on there. 

I may be wrong but I think that the restaurants/ take aways also pay to be on JustEat / Deliveroo via a percentage of the order value too.

If they haven’t turned a profit this year then their business model is completely broken.

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

Iirc Amazon has never turned profit (or hadn't/didn't for a very long time) on paper.

At some point the basic principals of business and finance get thrown out of the window.

Uber is another like that too I think. 

I suspect that they were backed by someone investing mega billions in them to get the platform and global economies of scale.  They are probably up to their eyeballs in planned debt.  

Eventually they will get bought by someone else once the original investors have creamed the money in for a few years (or float, aren't one of them floating?) so the original investors cash in and the business starts to act a bit more normally and make profits, albeit the new owner/share holders will also want their share of the pie now.  They will probably both merge at this point and supress all competition, till something more disruptive comes along then they collapse for being an internet business more than a couple of years old.

47 minutes ago, Genie said:

Uber is another like that too I think. 

Uber is actually worse. In it's last quarterly statement to investors, it actually said that it doubts it will ever be profitable

Having lost the workers rights case in the UK, it may have to pay bucketloads in compensation, the class action is already assembling.

Also in the UK it has lost the VAT case but is appealing. When they lost it was estimated they owed UK Govt £1bil in unpaid VAT and they haven't yet altered their fare structure to even mitigate this moving forward. Losing the workers rights case has if anything strengthened HMRC's case against them, which is essentially already won. The real shame of that case is that it only came about because the Good Law project took HMRC to court for failing to collect the VAT. This is the sort of corporate avoidance of tax that governments should be targeting but seemingly can't be bothered, whilst trying as best as possible to make SMEs pay more.

Uber's general global loss per QUARTER is around $4bil pre-pandemic. Their income even though bolstered by food deliveries has still dropped due to the pandemic, so losses are currently expected to be greater. Yet since the pandemic, Uber shares have risen over $20 per share

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1

23 minutes ago, bickster said:

Uber is actually worse. In it's last quarterly statement to investors, it actually said that it doubts it will ever be profitable

Having lost the workers rights case in the UK, it may have to pay bucketloads in compensation, the class action is already assembling.

Also in the UK it has lost the VAT case but is appealing. When they lost it was estimated they owed UK Govt £1bil in unpaid VAT and they haven't yet altered their fare structure to even mitigate this moving forward. Losing the workers rights case has if anything strengthened HMRC's case against them, which is essentially already won. The real shame of that case is that it only came about because the Good Law project took HMRC to court for failing to collect the VAT. This is the sort of corporate avoidance of tax that governments should be targeting but seemingly can't be bothered, whilst trying as best as possible to make SMEs pay more.

Uber's general global loss per QUARTER is around $4bil pre-pandemic. Their income even though bolstered by food deliveries has still dropped due to the pandemic, so losses are currently expected to be greater. Yet since the pandemic, Uber shares have risen over $20 per share

So how does this happen then? How can a company incur losses of $16Bn per annum and still continue to operate and grow? 

I don’t get economics, certainly not modern economics anyway, it’s all shady shit.

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

So how does this happen then? How can a company incur losses of $16Bn per annum and still continue to operate and grow? 

I don’t get economics, certainly not modern economics anyway, it’s all shady shit.

In Uber's case, firstly because the initial investors (Google, Saudi RF) put shitloads of money in hoping for a return on the investment when it floated. It eventually floated as an IPO so those initial investors got their money back with profit but not as much as they would have hoped because the IPO price was lower than initially hoped. But that IPO gave Uber enough working capital to survive for about 4 years. Even though its price is currently riding very high, it is still below the price the shares were sold at for the IPO

6 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I've always been thinking -ise endings is British, and -ize endings is Americanese. Am I wrong in that?

That's correct.  Britain and Australia the former, American and Canada the latter.

However when it comes to words like 'colour' or 'flavour' against 'color' or 'flavor' the Canadians join our side and add the 'u'.

7 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I've always been thinking -ise endings is British, and -ize endings is Americanese. Am I wrong in that?

You are correct. 

Â