General Chat

Stevo985

12 hours ago, mjmooney said:

That teenager who threw the six-year-old off the Tate Modern will go on trial for attempted murder... IN FEBRUARY. Why such a delay? 

im guessing that the prosecution wont mind that too much if the defence are going to argue mental health issues as the cause, gives them more time to counter it

but have you watched 13th?* that's how the states sets theirs up for minor crimes, you can pay bail if you can afford it or you can sit in prison for 1-2 years waiting for it to go to court or you can plead guilty for something you didn't do and be out in 6 months, thousands of black kids are picking the latter

*you should, its excellent

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Xann said:

Ouch - Hope that works out ok!

Workplace hijinks. Chopping onions and almost chopped off the the end of my thumb. pretty ugly cut. drove to the hospital down the street. blood on the dashboard. Stopped for a shot of tequila first though!

They stitched it back together and now i'll have more hospital debt. USA! USA!

• Sad 1

We're in a holiday cottage in the Lake District, and watching TV. Every Freeview channel working fine, except BBC2, which is visually OK, but for some bizarre reason has totally **** ed sound - it sounds like it has been massively slowed down to an almost disturbing guttural rumbling. How is such a thing even possible? 

45 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

We're in a holiday cottage in the Lake District, and watching TV. Every Freeview channel working fine, except BBC2, which is visually OK, but for some bizarre reason has totally **** ed sound - it sounds like it has been massively slowed down to an almost disturbing guttural rumbling. How is such a thing even possible? 

Might be to do with the power cut in Londinium

45 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I am in Weymouth and telly reception has been sketchy at best. I haven't checked BBC4 yet. Oh and can you put your profile pic back to what it was please. 

7 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I am in Weymouth and telly reception has been sketchy at best. I haven't checked BBC4 yet. Oh and can you put your profile pic back to what it was please. 

Just had a browse through the channels, and it seems it's just the BBC2 HD channel that has the horror movie soundtrack - regular BBC2 is OK. 

And like I said, the profile pic will revert in a couple of weeks (see Rogues' Gallery). 

On 08/08/2019 at 15:36, Paddywhack said:

Were you there with me when Mrs P spotted an oriental gentleman standing next to her at a bar, looked him up and down and then turned to me and said "I really fancy a chinky tonight"?

I mean, that would have been pretty offensive even if she'd said 'chinese takeaway'. 

(My wife's lovely by the way, that was a blip that I still like to embarrass her with 10 years later).

I've told this story before I'm sure.

At my previous company, the tradition was on your birthday or day you were leaving or whatever, you'd buy a load of samosas for everyone.
So this one time someone bought some and I volunteered to go out to the gatehouse and collect them from the guy when he turned up (you couldn't drive on site).

So I go out and wait for him in the car park. 
After a couple of minutes this car pulls up and sitting inside it is a Sikh man. Beard, turban etc.

So I thought "Ah that's probably them"

But he didn't get out. And just before I started to walk over I thought "but what if it isn't?"

I'd just be walking over to an indian gentlemen and asking him if he had the samosas, which would probably be quite offensive if he wasn't!

It would be a funnier story if it wasn't the guy. But it was. But in the end I had to stealthily sneak up from behind until I could see the box of samosas in the car and could confidently ask him without causing offence :D 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'd just be walking over to an indian gentlemen and asking him if he had the samosas, which would probably be quite offensive if he wasn't!

Why would that be offensive?

Just now, bickster said:

Why would that be offensive?

Assuming that because he’s Indian he’s brought Indian food.

its not exactly offensive but if he had been a visiting supplier or something it wouldn’t exactly look very good. 

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

"Are you here delivering something mate?"

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I've told this story before I'm sure.

At my previous company, the tradition was on your birthday or day you were leaving or whatever, you'd buy a load of samosas for everyone.
So this one time someone bought some and I volunteered to go out to the gatehouse and collect them from the guy when he turned up (you couldn't drive on site).

So I go out and wait for him in the car park. 
After a couple of minutes this car pulls up and sitting inside it is a Sikh man. Beard, turban etc.

So I thought "Ah that's probably them"

But he didn't get out. And just before I started to walk over I thought "but what if it isn't?"

It would be a funnier story if it wasn't the guy. But it was. But in the end I had to stealthily sneak up from behind until I could see the box of samosas in the car and could confidently ask him without causing offence :D 

Reminds me of the inbetweeners scene when they want to score some drugs.

At midnight on the 12th of August, a huge mass of luminous gas erupted from Mars and sped towards Earth. Across two-hundred-million miles of void, invisibly hurtling towards us, came the first of the missiles that were to bring so much calamity to Earth.

• Like 1

Was walking my dog yesterday (Border Collie).  We walked past some apartments and there was a woman in the inside bit waiting for the lift with a dog (Boxer).

The Boxer (I don't know why) hates my dog.  So far so good.

The Boxed then smashes the glass with his face and his head went through it to try an get to me and my dog.  She must have relaxed her hand with the lead and the dog forgot the glass.  4 foot by 3 foot piece of proper old shard glass.  The Boxer's face was cut up and bleeding,  I asked the women if she was alright and her husband was coming down so I left,  a) Glass was everywhere b) Best i went away with my dog.  My dog didn't even see him do it as he was on the side away from the door so i was in between and the glass hit me.  All OK though.  The Boxer's face is even flatter now the dozy idiot.

Mental to be fair.

Edited by Amsterdam_Neil_D

On 09/08/2019 at 19:19, maqroll said:

Workplace hijinks. Chopping onions and almost chopped off the the end of my thumb. pretty ugly cut. drove to the hospital down the street. blood on the dashboard. Stopped for a shot of tequila first though!

They stitched it back together and now i'll have more hospital debt. USA! USA!

Fixing a cut.  That's probably about $10,000?

3 hours ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Was walking my dog yesterday (Border Collie).  We walked past some apartments and there was a woman in the inside bit waiting for the lift with a dog (Boxer).

The Boxer (I don't know why) hates my dog.  So far so good.

The Boxed then smashes the glass with his face and his head went through it to try an get to me and my dog.  She must have relaxed her hand with the lead and the dog forgot the glass.  4 foot by 3 foot piece of proper old shard glass.  The Boxer's face was cut up and bleeding,  I asked the women if she was alright and her husband was coming down so I left,  a) Glass was everywhere b) Best i went away with my dog.  My dog didn't even see him do it as he was on the side away from the door so i was in between and the glass hit me.  All OK though.  The Boxer's face is even flatter now the dozy idiot.

Mental to be fair.

disappointed she didn't say "don't worry it wont bite you" while it was rabidly losing it's shit.

• Like 3

Â