General Chat

Stevo985

@Rugeley Villa you might like this piece in the NME

Birmingham is crying out for a permanent museum to the birthplace of an entire genre, and there's a pretty good one in town right now...

Earlier this summer, guitarist Tony Iommi and bassist and lyricist Geezer Butler returned to Birmingham for the opening of an exhaustive exhibition about Black Sabbath, the band they formed in the city 50 years ago. Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery is currently home to a vast collection of both the band’s own memorabilia and a staggering array of fan tributes. Asked if there was anything not present in the collection that they expected to see, Butler couldn’t resist a quip: “Ozzy?”

https://www.nme.com/features/black-sabbath-made-birmingham-home-metal-shouldnt-city-repay-favour-2539401

FWIW its right too, Brum being Brum making pretty nothing out of what its got whilst everyone else shouts it from the rooftops

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

https://www.nme.com/features/black-sabbath-made-birmingham-home-metal-shouldnt-city-repay-favour-2539401

FWIW its right too, Brum being Brum making pretty nothing out of what its got whilst everyone else shouts it from the rooftops

Totally different genre, I know, but it's apparently like that in Hibbing, Minnesota, where Bob Dylan grew up. You'd think that having one of the most successful songwriters of the past 75 years as a local lad might encourage a bit of tourist cash-in, but by all accounts there's very little evidence of it. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I’ve always thought Sabbath should be to Brum what The Beatles are to Liverpool . Sabbath are one of those bands that will never die. You’ll always have thousands and thousands of young kids discovering them and being big fans. 

• Like 1

Hit it hard and claim led zep as a Midlands band while they're at it, it'll always be disputed but at least stake a claim, publicity from the debate won't hurt

Music, the football league museum, even peaky blinders, the city is useless at promoting itself at the best of times but in terms of pop culture its terrible

47 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I’ve always thought Sabbath should be to Brum what The Beatles are to Liverpool . Sabbath are one of those bands that will never die. You’ll always have thousands and thousands of young kids discovering them and being big fans. 

Agreed. Same as ELO... they get a lot of younger fans discovering their music. Fantastic band. 

26 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Hit it hard and claim led zep as a Midlands band while they're at it, it'll always be disputed but at least stake a claim, publicity from the debate won't hurt

Music, the football league museum, even peaky blinders, the city is useless at promoting itself at the best of times but in terms of pop culture its terrible

Half of Zep came  from the outskirts of Brum. Zeppelin feel and sound like a midlands band rather than a London band where Page and Jones are from. The Who are a proper London band and you hear it and feel it in their music. 

9 minutes ago, bickster said:

UB40 are bigger than Sabbath too.

You going off album sales?  Sabbath were an underground band that became very big. Very few singles, not radio friendly. I think Sabbath did alright to shift 80m albums from the Ozzy era . Sabbath stood by themselves and are the iconic band for the city of Birmingham. They are also the most influential band apart from the Beatles . 

Edited by Rugeley Villa

Just now, Rugeley Villa said:

You going off album sales?  Sabbath were an underground band that became very big. Very few singles, not radio friendly. I think Sabbath did alright to shift 80m albums from the Ozzy era . Sabbath stood by themselves and are the iconic band for the city of Birmingham. 

No, I'm going on sheer talent

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Xela said:

I despise UB40. 

Me too, though the first two albums do provide some social commentary on the times but in terms of music, the wind out of my arse makes better reggae tunes

Aye, thinking about it, I simply wouldn’t associate Birmingham with the birthplace of any music or band. There’s the obvious Liverpool thing, London, Manchester. But for me personally, I’d have The Specials in Coventry and then I’d have to be thinking rather than just rattling off the names.

Which can only be that Birmingham / Midlands is poor at self promotion. I think we’ve had a conversation around it before, you put the Olympics in London, Newcastle, Norwich or Exeter and they’d have a 4 year promotion as being the centre of the universe. Stick it in Birmingham and folk would complain about parking chaos.

Â