General Chat

Stevo985

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

Cheers again

it'll just be me and the voices in my head. Happy to potter about in the day seeing sites (castles, national trust sites, windmills, lighthouses, beaches, etc) and then plonk myself in a country pub for a few ales and some grub in the evening. Its more of a relaxing time away than anything else. I still have over a month left of annual leave to take before Xmas and I find I don't relax if I just stay at home. Probably not going abroad this year now so deciding to see more of the UK. Will probably take in Northumberland in November when its blustery and cold (can imagine the coast up there would suit that)

Okay, so I'd probably go for East Kent. It's a bit more of an escape from the norm, and you'll probably bump into some interesting characters in the evenings. West Kent is a bit more Midsomer Murders. The "hipster" tag for East Kent is a bit overdone as well. If you've ever lived in a big city, you'll laugh at it tbh, but maybe avoid Margate if hipsters really piss you off. Otherwise you'll be fine.

You could even do a loop (assuming you're driving) of Rochester, Canterbury, Whitstable, Broadstairs, Sandwich Bay, Deal, Rye and then up through Bodiam, Sissinghurst, Goudhurst, Matfield, Tunbridge Wells before getting back onto the M25 and on the way home, if you have loads of annual leave and money to kill. You'd be a certified expert on Kent after that.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

What part(s) are you thinking of frequenting this time squire?  🤔

Garden of England next for me mate. Will be back in Norfolk at some point... maybe Suffolk as well (been a long time since i used to visit there to knock of a bird!)

On 05/08/2019 at 18:54, Johnnyp said:

I know sky sports news are running pretty low on content during the summer months but are they planning on having Hayley McQueen go into labour live on t.v. with jim white presenting of course. Size of her. 

You've reminded me of how stupid it is that Sky Sports News' countdown timer to the slamming shut of the transfer window is measured in *thousandths of a second* these days. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I found out I have a nickname at work - PC Lapal_fan.

Because I dared to say you shouldn't call a Chinese takeaway a Chinky :lol:  

Worcester is weird man. 

My mates youngest brother, disappointingly once did that, in a chinese takeaway and he rightly got fined when taken to court by them. So, no, even if casual racism is your 'thing', you really shouldn't.

Unfortunately that was a bit west of there. (And I don't know Worcester at all) But over there it's the whole 'white market town where there is still no integration' problem imo. The inherent racism is hardly de-rigueur, but it's just under the surface and it's never gone away. It's not necessarily spite filled, but it's lazy and it's mostly because they've never been challenged.

Moving from the midlands to rural Wales in the 80's was quite a culture shock. Certain things are much better these days but the younger population tend to move away and a lot of older ideas remain relatively unchallenged in certain places.

2 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

My mates youngest brother, disappointingly once did that, in a chinese takeaway and he rightly got fined when taken to court by them. So, no, even if casual racism is your 'thing', you really shouldn't.

Unfortunately that was a bit west of there. (And I don't know Worcester at all) But over there it's the whole 'white market town where there is still no integration' problem imo. The inherent racism is hardly de-rigueur, but it's just under the surface and it's never gone away. It's not necessarily spite filled, but it's lazy and it's mostly because they've never been challenged.

Moving from the midlands to rural Wales in the 80's was quite a culture shock. Certain things are much better these days but the younger population tend to move away and a lot of older ideas remain relatively unchallenged in certain places.

Yea, it's ingrained.  The reason it came about was because 2 women in the office said "Ooh, I fancy a chinky tonight" and I love chirping up saying "wow, Chinky?  Really?" and they then asked anyone coming through the office (engineers, builders etc) what they call a Chinese Takeaway.

So far, anyone over 40 says Chinky, everyone under says "Chinese Takeaway".

When the under 40s have been asked, they all say "wow, who would even say "chinky" these days"? 

The over 40s seem pretty unperturbed about it, saying "it's just what I've always called it", like that makes it ok.

I always say "so what age did you get to before you stopped learning?" and they laugh it off. 

I will say though, that there seems to be no malice, it just rolls off the tongue, and when the issue is bought up, they do seem upset that the word may be offensive.. But I doubt they'll change anything because I (and a couple of others) have said it's not great. 

One engineer came in and said this is the worst group of people he'd worked with, and that if they were skill tested, they'd fail - and that it's all because we use a recruitment agent in Birmingham.. Someone said "I'm from Birmingham" to which he replied "I thought you were a yam yam.... Oh! Sorry, I CAN'T SAY YAM YAM CAN I LAPAL_FAN!?"

I just said "well, unless yam yam is a race, then you can say what you want"

"OOOooooOOHHHH but I don't want to upset you!" 

:lol:  what a mong. 

I mean, yea.. I did run to the toilet and cry for an hour, but whatever dude... I'm cool. 

where do you work? I worked for a construction company who had offices in Worcestershire and Wolverhampton and it was different

chinky is never a word ive really used but I'll be honest and say "paki shop" is ingrained in me from my youth, the construction industry is the wild west at times though, telling a guy he has to shave to wear a face fit mask at least 3/10 of them maybe more will say something about muslims having beards

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

I found out I have a nickname at work - PC Lapal_fan.

Because I dared to say you shouldn't call a Chinese takeaway a Chinky :lol:  

Worcester is weird man. 

Do you work with some of the VTers from On Topic?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

where do you work? I worked for a construction company who had offices in Worcestershire and Wolverhampton and it was different

chinky is never a word ive really used but I'll be honest and say "paki shop" is ingrained in me from my youth, the construction industry is the wild west at times though, telling a guy he has to shave to wear a face fit mask at least 3/10 of them maybe more will say something about muslims having beards

One of my best mates is Chinese and his dad runs chinese restaurants.

People really don't understand that "Chinky" is offensive, because they'll use the word to this guy's face when he's talking to them, and are genuinely surprised when he, very politely, asks them not to call it that!

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Worcester Hospital. 

also worked on construction sites (10 years ago) and yea, it's us vs them half the time.. 

Daily Mail/Sun readers innit. 

17 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

One of my best mates is Chinese and his dad runs chinese restaurants.

People really don't understand that "Chinky" is offensive, because they'll use the word to this guy's face when he's talking to them, and are genuinely surprised when he, very politely, asks them not to call it that!

I agree with this, my sister in law says it. I honestly don't think she knows its a racist/offensive term.

Just now, Genie said:

I agree with this, my sister in law says it. I honestly don't think she knows its a racist/offensive term.

Yeah. I think people are aware you can't call a chinese person a chink or a chinky. But they don't see an issue with using the same word for chinese food.

15 minutes ago, Genie said:

I have been trying and failing to find a meme of David Brent where he said "its from before racism was bad"

Best I can find for you.

Will probably only work if you’re replying to friends who own a dog with a racially insensitive name.

C3E9C0D9-0FF1-4561-96C2-C34FEF861D3B.gif

Â