General Chat

Stevo985

On 20/07/2019 at 15:14, PieFacE said:

Does anyone ever sleepwalk and piss in random places in their house when really drunk? I've heard of people doing it before but never done it myself, till today!

Hotel wardrobes are a favorite place of mine to take a slash at 4am in the morning.

14 minutes ago, stuart_75 said:

Hotel wardrobes are a favorite place of mine to take a slash at 4am in the morning.

It's a safe place.

I’ve just threw a dead fly off my window side into a spiders web that is behind the kitchen door. I usually have a tendency to keep webs if they are active, and not get rid of them. It was quite fascinating watching the spider quickly arrive and start wrapping him up in silk. 

• Like 1

Bought an electric insect death racket from the random aisle of Lidl. 

It completely changed the balance of power in the neverending struggle against the mozzies.

It also leaves the bodies unsquished (and maybe nicely barbecued?) for chucking into spider's webs.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Xann said:

Bought an electric insect death racket from the random aisle of Lidl. 

It completely changed the balance of power in the neverending struggle against the mozzies.

It also leaves the bodies unsquished (and maybe nicely barbecued?) for chucking into spider's webs.

Don't forget to season the crispy flies before you throw them into the spider web.  Or do you have "classless" spiders in your home? 

Planning my next UK break after a very enjoyable few days in @AvfcRigo82's favourite part of the country, north Norfolk in June. 

Decided to give Kent a go in September. Never been there before. Looking for quiet chocolate box villages and maybe a bit of seaside action. Thinking of a few days around Canterbury as a base for the smaller villages like Chilham etc and then perhaps Broadstairs. I think Margate might be a bit too hipsterish now? Any tips gratefully received (looking at you @KentVillan :) ) 

• Like 1

Just now, Xela said:

Planning my next UK break after a very enjoyable few days in @AvfcRigo82's favourite part of the country, north Norfolk in June. 

Decided to give Kent a go in September. Never been there before. Looking for quiet chocolate box villages and maybe a bit of seaside action. Thinking of a few days around Canterbury as a base for the smaller villages like Chilham etc and then perhaps Broadstairs. I think Margate might be a bit too hipsterish now? Any tips gratefully received (looking at you @KentVillan :) ) 

Seasalter and Whitstable over Margate everytime.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Xela said:

Rochester is the better of the Medway towns. Recommend Rochester High Street. Great bookshop on that street, Billy Childish used to work there. 

Away from that you have Pocahontas grave in Gravesend, Higham is a lovely village but not much to pull you down there. Broadstairs is lovely. Well worth the journey down. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Xela said:

I was doing some very boring work on my computer, so thanks for the opportunity to procrastinate.

Kent is a big county, and it has quite a few places that aren't worth visiting. As you get closer to London, it becomes more urban, more expensive, and less friendly. I would try to stay outside the belt that runs from Tunbridge Wells to Maidstone to Sheppey. Otherwise you definitely won't feel like you're in "the garden of England".

The two main areas that tick your boxes are the High Weald on the Kent/Sussex border, and the Kent Downs in East Kent (by Canterbury). You'll have to pick one or the other unless you fancy doing a lot of driving.

East Kent (Kent Downs)

I actually don't know East Kent very well, but I would definitely recommend a visit to Whitstable if you do opt for Canterbury. It's a bit of a victim of its "discovery" by Londoners, but not in the same way as Margate, which has become an outpost of Hackney.

Good guide to Whitstable here: https://www.alongdustyroads.com/posts/whitstable-things-to-do-day-trip It's a very quick drive from Canterbury.

I've also heard good things about Sandwich (http://www.open-sandwich.co.uk/) and Deal (https://www.timeout.com/deal/things-to-do/perfect-day-in-deal). And Broadstairs / Botany Bay too, which was already on your list.

All of these spots are less than an hour's drive from Canterbury. You'll be more of an expert on Kent than me after that trip.

West Kent (High Weald)

I need to get back to work, but if you want to check out the other side of Kent (and a bit of Sussex), have a look at Bodiam Castle, Hastings, Goudhurst, Sissinghurst, and Camber Sands (best beach for swimming). I can give you more tips here if you like, but you're probably fine with East Kent.

Before I go... Wherever you go in Kent and Sussex, you're in hop farming country, so if you're a beer drinker, you should try some of the local ales. Harvey's is my favourite traditional brewery. Here's a map of all the places you can find it on tap: https://www.harveys.org.uk/pub-finder

Also check out a micropub: https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2014/aug/16/kent-micro-pubs-thanet-real-ale

You will find them in former dog grooming parlours, bakeries, butcher shops: tiny little hostelries have been springing up all across eastern Kent. These “micropubs” adhere to a few simple rules – no lager, no jukebox, no TV – and are almost all housed in spaces no larger than a living room. They sell constantly changing real ales at around £3 a pint; there’s no hot food but you may find local cheeses, pies and homemade pork scratchings and pickles.

(Bear in mind £3 a pint is very cheap for this part of England!)

Anyway, let me know how you get on, and have fun!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I know sky sports news are running pretty low on content during the summer months but are they planning on having Hayley McQueen go into labour live on t.v. with jim white presenting of course. Size of her. 

Cranbrook is a very nice village (not really a tourist destination!), and you could probably find a nice Airbnb there. It's just down the road from Goudhurst and Sissinghurst which I mentioned.

I think it depends on what sort of stuff you want to do. East Kent is quirkier, and has this kind of bleak, sparsely populated feel to it which can be quite impressive on a nice day. The seaside towns in East Kent are more interesting. I'm not a fan of Canterbury, but it's not a bad base for seeing Whitstable, Margate, Deal, etc.

West Kent is generally nicer and leafier overall, but a bit less interesting. In addition to the list I gave you before, take a look at Rye (on the Sussex coast) which is a short drive from Cranbrook. Tunbridge Wells is worth a visit as well - just the old bit by the High St and the Pantiles.

What sort of things were you looking to do? Do you have kids to entertain? Do you like hiking? Drinking? Seafood? National Trust sites? Art? Four-day benders?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

Cranbrook is a very nice village (not really a tourist destination!), and you could probably find a nice Airbnb there. It's just down the road from Goudhurst and Sissinghurst which I mentioned.

I think it depends on what sort of stuff you want to do. East Kent is quirkier, and has this kind of bleak, sparsely populated feel to it which can be quite impressive on a nice day. The seaside towns in East Kent are more interesting. I'm not a fan of Canterbury, but it's not a bad base for seeing Whitstable, Margate, Deal, etc.

West Kent is generally nicer and leafier overall, but a bit less interesting. In addition to the list I gave you before, take a look at Rye (on the Sussex coast) which is a short drive from Cranbrook. Tunbridge Wells is worth a visit as well - just the old bit by the High St and the Pantiles.

What sort of things were you looking to do? Do you have kids to entertain? Do you like hiking? Drinking? Seafood? National Trust sites? Art? Four-day benders?

Cheers again

it'll just be me and the voices in my head. Happy to potter about in the day seeing sites (castles, national trust sites, windmills, lighthouses, beaches, etc) and then plonk myself in a country pub for a few ales and some grub in the evening. Its more of a relaxing time away than anything else. I still have over a month left of annual leave to take before Xmas and I find I don't relax if I just stay at home. Probably not going abroad this year now so deciding to see more of the UK. Will probably take in Northumberland in November when its blustery and cold (can imagine the coast up there would suit that)

Â